• Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

Is it possible to create a page builder with OptionsTree? Have anybody tried this?

173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
kungfu-themes says

No I don’t think so.

Well at least I don’t think it is the best way to go about it.

Page builders essentially work by using jQueryUI. With Jquery’s sortable, resizable, draggable and droppable being the most important. Sortable being the most important.

All it does is effectively provide a means to dynamically create shortcodes. So you wouldn’t even need to create another table in the database to store it, which I guess is how options Tree works.

If you want actual code to study I recommend taking a peak at Symil’s Aquagraphite page builder.

Failing that google Jquery’s sortable and possibly portlets. Although I don’t find portlets that useful and prefer to build it from scratch.

But if you are a wordpress newbie it might be a little too much too fast. Good luck.

1673 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Hmm… I have a pretty fine shortcode generator, shows up in the editor bar.

My question now is do I really need to get a page builder to get some decent sales? I guess not…

173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United Kingdom
kungfu-themes says

Hmm… I have a pretty fine shortcode generator, shows up in the editor bar. My question now is do I really need to get a page builder to get some decent sales? I guess not…

It depends… but a page builder will always appeal to more of the masses because it allows for a more easier user interface. To me shortcodes are more easier to understand but then it appeals to the way I understand code and how tags can be nested.

If your design is super awesome, then no page builders aren’t necessary. Well, that’s my opinion.

140 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United Kingdom
codeblvck says

Hey man, I dont mean to jack your thread, but I was wondering if you are using any guides or such to help you learn WP dev. Iv got rockable press building wordpress themes from scratch so if u are using someting other then that please do share

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Hey man, I dont mean to jack your thread, but I was wondering if you are using any guides or such to help you learn WP dev. Iv got rockable press building wordpress themes from scratch so if u are using someting other then that please do share

I have 6+ years working with Joomla, I know the basics on all known CMSs, I can do some basic PHP, jQuery and CSS, I am reading the code of WP themes, trying to get an idea on how things work.

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says
I have integrated OptionTree within TwentyTwelve on theme mode, just as the documentation describes, and disabled the OptionsTree Plugin. The theme options seems to work fine, just I don’t have the ADMIN menu item to go to theme options. Currently trying to add this code to the functions.php but it’s not working
add_action('admin_menu', 'add_theme_options_link');

function add_theme_options_link() {
    add_menu_page( get_current_theme(), get_current_theme(), 'manage_options', 'ot-settings', '', 'admin/assets/images/ot-logo-mini.png' ); 
}
238 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
dmsumon says

Hmm… I have a pretty fine shortcode generator, shows up in the editor bar. My question now is do I really need to get a page builder to get some decent sales? I guess not…

I think decent sells are not made by admin control panel but a good design. After all when the theme will power any live site then the site visitors are not going to see what is in the control panel but they will see the front of the site. If the design impress them then they will definitely come back. Yesterday I saw many themes coming for WP from many elite authors. They are getting sells but I wondered when I saw a theme from a new author, it was his first theme . He got about 40 sells only in 1.5 (not 2) day! :D I know it is normal because WP is very popular but my main point is it was his first item. Again i saw many new authors with quite great designs but not making sells. Even some of them made only 1 sell in last two days. So I think it is not necessary to pack your admin control panel with tons of options. I think developer should focus on design not on options. But yap i also agree when a professional buyer buys your theme and see many options in your control panel then he becomes fan of you and wait for your next theme :) So i am not against packing options in the admin backend also. By the way friend you are a genius author I have ever seen on TF and really waiting for the previous few months to see when you release your first WP theme. :) I know you will impress everyone. Thank you.

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

By the way friend you are a genius author I have ever seen on TF and really waiting for the previous few months to see when you release your first WP theme. :) I know you will impress everyone. Thank you.

Hehe, thanks mate :)

19 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Korea, Republic of
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
YuKhinThemes says

Is it possible to create a page builder with OptionsTree? Have anybody tried this?

I’ve tried when work with List Item. I think it’s possible.

by
by
by
by
by
by