3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

thomas, your opinion is valid, but I’m sure that envato has introduced this kind of licenses to try to improve our sales and obviously our earnings. The problem is that many buyers don’t know that purchasing one item they are able to use it just one time. Now, with this clear and visible new options, all the buyers are warned about the licenses and how they work. Then, how can you know if your buyers, buying just one license, use the file more than one time? In this way, honest buyers have a bonus of 7 additional licenses… I think this can work.

I don’t know how many buyers have bought a file more than 2 or 3 times… so basically you are going to earn the same and at the same time you help buyers to respect the rules giving them a little benefit to use an item one or two more times…

Parker

5978 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says
It would be nice if allowed to set different license options for individual items.
hey VF, yep I’ve got that on the potential feature list for the future. This option was quick and simple to deploy and easy to use. As licences become more and more important we’ll start allocating it more feature development time

Great! Also it would be helpful if the number of “10 Project” and “Web Services” purchases showed somewhere (may be in the portfolio page). At present, we have no idea about how many multi license purchases made for an item. (it is very hard to calculate from statements page)

988 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
thomas07 says
thomas, your opinion is valid, but I’m sure that envato has introduced this kind of licenses to try to improve our sales and obviously our earnings. The problem is that many buyers don’t know that purchasing one item they are able to use it just one time. Now, with this clear and visible new options, all the buyers are warned about the licenses and how they work. Then, how can you know if your buyers, buying just one license, use the file more than one time? In this way, honest buyers have a bonus of 7 additional licenses… I think this can work. I don’t know how many buyers have bought a file more than 2 or 3 times… so basically you are going to earn the same and at the same time you help buyers to respect the rules giving them a little benefit to use an item one or two more times… Parker

indeed my friend, but then envato need to benefit better the author…better % on item sales with such multiple licence. Yes, author may earn more with such licences but the fact that the buyer will use the item more than as stated in the licence never change. In that case, i feel here the author must get better rewarded and not only envato increase their income % while offering such multiple licences. I still can sniff here something very phishy. Also the # of usage licence doesnt really match very good with the price…i mean 10 for a cost of 3 is just a big joke, 2 options exist…envato can make it as “10 for a price of 6-7” or narrow the number at the licence like “5 for cost of 3”...this is still very good offer for the buyer.

Then actually the main issue address to another point…collis says something that is really out of acceptance norms for authors and general business ethics. Here is a copy of the text:

“For example we will soon be adding a “Web Services” license which is specifically for site templates and wordpress themes. It’s going to allow people building their own blog platforms to buy themes and then provide them to users.”

...this doesnt makes me think very positive about this 1web service” licence

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
552 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LeatherwingStudios says
“10 for a price of 6-7” or narrow the number at the licence like “5 for cost of 3”...this is still very good offer for the buyer.

I am one buyer who does not agree!

prior to all this new licensing stuff, FlashDen was the only stock Flash site I ever purchased from. now that FD states explicitly that each purchase is single use I have found other stock Flash sites that offer unlimited use for the single price. so now I shop those first. that is unfortunate for FD authors since, as a practical matter, I’m unlikely to ever use an item more than once anyway. but this new restriction makes me explore other options before purchasing at FD.

there is a story of a goose who laid golden eggs and the owner got greedy and…well, you know the rest of the story. :)

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

I think it works like this:

You go to McBurger restaurant and you’re hungry…

The McBurger makes this offer:

10 burgers at the price of 3

You say…mmmh, I came here to eat 2-3 burgers, but i’m a beast so I’m sure I can eat 4 burgers and if I’m still hungry I can eat 1 or 2 more. This is a deal and the customers go home belly broken and happy

Other scenario

10 burgers at the price of 6

Well, you say… no I cannot eat 6 burgers, I go for 2 or at least 3, otherwise I will waste my money also if the offer is good. Your buyer goes back home as always, not very full and not very happy…

This is what I think. :-D

8251 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
Even the current “buy 10 licences for price of 3” offer is violation of authorts rights on envato, no one can sell your item behind such multiple licences strategy in order to increase their own sales without your permission or another agreement between the both parties (author and seller) that matches their benefits. I cant rememner someone of envato asked me if they can sell my files under such conditions…do you? well, i was thinking the same.

Did you not read the agreements when you signed up..? Obviously not.

They can alter the price and number of licenses for that price as much as they want under the agreement of which you didnt read. There is nothing stating that they cannot change this without your consent and so therefore they are doing nothing wrong.

In the end its black and white… If you dont like it, dont sell here?

2671 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+5 more
Chuckanucka says

mmmmmm. burgers.

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
mmmmmm. burgers.

Do you like burgers, don’t you? :-D

8251 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
mmmmmm. burgers.

+ 10 :D:P

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

I am one buyer who does not agree!

prior to all this new licensing stuff, FlashDen was the only stock Flash site I ever purchased from. now that FD states explicitly that each purchase is single use I have found other stock Flash sites that offer unlimited use for the single price. so now I shop those first. that is unfortunate for FD authors since, as a practical matter, I’m unlikely to ever use an item more than once anyway. but this new restriction makes me explore other options before purchasing at FD.

there is a story of a goose who laid golden eggs and the owner got greedy and…well, you know the rest of the story. :)

The single use license for each item is always true, nothing changes but envato just makes it clearer for buyers and authors. You’re welcome to shop at other stock but in the end the quality and the price at FD is factor that make it to be the best.

btw, I just got my 10xlicense sale today for my $40 file and with my current commission it is $72 per sale ! There are customers out there who respect authors and take the license seriously

by
by
by
by
by
by