bump again :)

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

So, I see the new Web Services option in my account panel, but I don’t have any details on what this is exactly… am I missing a blog post or something.

EDIT : Licenses information page is here – I’m curious to see how the 10x and Web services licenses sell over the next 6 months.

988 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
thomas07 says

i still think the “web licence” is out of business ethics to the design industry and effects the author income in negative way:

“This Licence grants you, the Purchaser, a non-exclusive, non transferable licence to make the product that you acquire available for use and display by an unlimited number of your clients in conjunction with a web site service that you host on behalf of your clients”

This is a sort of “remodeled” club membership licence (you are granted an specific number of usage for an item, or access to files for specific time period) ...not exactly right for business models like envato since envato is user content generated marketplace!!

The licence that can grand such features and usage rights, must be the “unique purchaise” licence only (which you dont have at all). You cannot let someone buy some item with “some faik limitations” and then further distribute it to use to others…the only way to do that is if the buyer purchaised full rights…get serious please.

Even now with the “single licence” many people are not honest…with this “web services” licence they will feel even bolder than before and the buyer have no ways to control his/her own clients on how they use the file. You and the buyer, will never know if the buyer’s clients take the file and further distribute it…never. Thats why many years ago such licence was findout and applied to digital goods…this is the “unique purchaise” licence.

What you offer here is maybe good for the buyer benefits, but in no way is benefetical for the author to let others use his/her item under such fancy licences that are created only to convience the buyer.

...and to clear my self, i am not opposing here, just trying to specify what i think and how this schould go (if such licences applied).

5977 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

Nice avatar! :P

988 posts
+4 more
thomas07 says

thanks VF…has been long time from our last conversations on Elance…hope you doing well on there as i stop to waste my time on there since long time :D

5977 posts
+8 more
VF says
thanks VF…has been long time from our last conversations on Elance…hope you doing well on there as i stop to waste my time on there since long time :D

hmm, I too stopped doing custom projects from there. May I know what is your username there?

988 posts
+4 more
thomas07 says
hmm, I too stopped doing custom projects from there. May I know what is your username there?

it was “trialabs” and we was discussing a lot and improving things on the watercooler :)

5977 posts
+8 more
VF says
it was “trialabs” and we was discussing a lot and improving things on the watercooler :)

oh, I remember! I guess here also you are being busy in the forums rather than doing actual work! :O;)

988 posts
+4 more
thomas07 says
oh, I remember! I guess here also you are being busy in the forums rather than doing actual work! :O;)

It is only to make some points to real facts my friend…to facts that this industry exist of and this way stay “a life”.It is not something new what i am saying…it is the common pracrice of the whole market…what is not normal is to discover other fancy licences which are against the author rights and benefits! I mean if a buyer have plans to use more than once some of my files, he/she can go ahead and purchaice the file uniquely and become the only owner and this way do whatever he/she want with that file…HAPPY END …i get sold a file at rates that are equal to the today market standards, envato gets their commission and the client feel very free about the usage of the file… all 3 parties continue to their happy lifes…is that not amazing? :D

In other words, the licence types that can be offered on marketplaces that are user content driven are only 2…single licence and unique purchaise

- unique purchaise grands full rights (buyer becomes the only owner of that file) - single licence grands single use (buyer can use the file only on 1 project and MUST come back to buy another licence if the file is getting used on another project)

...this are the only rules of that game.

by
by
by
by
by
by