548 posts
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Spain
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
tacoMusic says

Hi everyone,

Me again :) As I’ve been writing library music for a short amount of time (since January of this year), I’m constantly trying to up my game by learning new tricks and improving my craft.

So far, I’ve been focusing on improving what I write musically so it works better for the production music world, mix techniques (as you’ll see in my other post), marketing techniques and organising my records.

That last point means:

• Keeping an eye on what I submit and whether it’s satisfying demand
  • Having a record of where I submit those tracks (here or elsewhere)
  • Whether I’m making a good return on those tracks and what tracks sell best
  • Monitoring how long a track has been in action
  • Making my life easier by not repeating the workload each time I submit a track
  • Having a back up of the meta data for each of my tracks

That’s a long list, and I’m sure there are other things I could add, but for the time being I think it’s good enough to work with on this topic. So, my question is this: how do you keep track of all of the above? I’ve created an Excel spreadsheet that tries to satisfy all these needs (feel free to use it, abuse or adapt it as you wish):

Download library music spreadsheet [.xlsx]

I’m interested in hearing how you organise your own library of work as it becomes huge and overbearing? Can you see any issues with the current way I’m doing it?

Answers on a postcard.

Many thanks,

Taco

471 posts Think pink.
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

I keep a database of the metadata for my tracks and which libraries they are a part of. I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of monthly income from different library sources and breaks it down into percentages of the total monthly income so I can see the balance of different income revenue. I also keep a chart of weekly sales from different libraries so I can see where the growth is (or isn’t). I note my record sales for each of the 7 days of the week.

My biggest barometer of data though is the daily $ sales average. I add up my current monthly $ totals and divide it by whatever day of the month we are on. It is very interesting to keep track of that number month by month.

For the sales data of individual tracks, I just observe that through the library interface itself.

501 posts Epic Trailer Music
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
MartijndeBont says

Hi Taco!

To answer your question, I don’t :p. It has been on my mind for a while now to create a similar database for all my work, but it just never happens since I always find “more important” things to do (like browsing Youtube and Facebook :p).

Just looked at your spreadsheet and it looks pretty decent, so I might start using that in the near future. For now, I just closely monitor my portfolio to see what type of work sells best for me.

Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet mate!

364 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
musicguy says

Hi Taco – another interesting thread!

I am not making any statistic for AJ music since the old stuff I put here have very slow sales.

For my library music I am using data provided by my PRO (OSA) on PDFs and their online graphs. There I can see which music made most money. OSA graphs are basic but good enough for me so I dont do any other statistics. Here is preview (in Czech language).

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

Hey Taco, great thread. I’m very curious to see what others are doing in this regard.

I found out early on that I was going to go insane if I didn’t keep track of descriptions, etc. because I’m posting the same songs on many marketplaces. For myself, I have a spreadsheet that’s pretty much a subset of what you have – song name, description, tags, BPM , and a couple of other attributes, along with a list of marketplaces to check off when I’ve uploaded them.

What I’d really like to have is a database where I could not only track that information but also transactions from different marketplaces, so I could start analyzing stuff like which songs are doing well where, or which tags seem to be bringing in the most sales, etc. As it is, I don’t know for a particular song how many sales I’ve had without going through all the marketplaces and counting, which is kind of lame. I started to build out a database application for this but then got bored with it and went to make more music.

So I’m vaguely on the lookout for a simple tracking program that I can use for this purpose with a little bit of tweaking. I am curious to know if anybody else is tracking songs and transactions in a database and if so what sorts of over the shelf products might be usable for such a thing.

by
by
by
by
by
by