• Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

I have been coming across many tracks these days that are sound-alikes of popular AudioJungle tracks. In terms of plagiarism, I’m concerned that some composers are not respecting the work of other AJ composers in the same way that they might respect the work of a well-known artist.

This thread is not about calling anyone out. I didn’t just hear something that sounded like my own track and now I’m lashing out. I’m just noticing increasing occurrences of VERY similar tracks on AJ.

I realize that at times it seems like we are all trying to stand on the head of the same pin to vie for sales, but I think there should be a discussion about this issue before it becomes a bigger problem.

For example, if a composer likes a popular track and matches its instrumentation exactly (all sound-alike sample choices), matches the tempo, matches the approach that each instrument takes, matches the order that instruments are introduced, matches phrasing and structure, matches the drum groove, and only changes a few notes in an arpeggio, a few notes in a melody, a new chord – there is a problem.

Sound-alike issues are not just about chords and melody. It’s about clearly using another track as a template, as a road map. When it happens it is very obvious.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Please don’t post links or give any specific examples. :)

192 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
LGuitarB says

I wouldn’t want to do anything like that, perhaps hence my moderate sales numbers ;), but then again it sometimes seems as if the customer only wants the same over and over again. I heard some music in a commercial on TV here (Netherlands), and it sounded exactly like your default AudioJungle happy ukulele-motivational-corporate tune :-)

464 posts Think pink.
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

I wouldn’t want to do anything like that, perhaps hence my moderate sales numbers ;), but then again it sometimes seems as if the customer only wants the same over and over again. I heard some music in a commercial on TV here (Netherlands), and it sounded exactly like your default AudioJungle happy ukulele-motivational-corporate tune :-)

It definitely can be a tricky thing to figure out and know when similarities become too close. I think (I hope others agree) it is a good idea to just raise awareness about it and be sensitive to this issue.

563 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

I think there is a certain sound that is hot right now and it is heard in almost every TV commercial these days. I think almost all have to be aware of that. If someone wants to compose using similar instrumentation that is fine, it is what sells and everyone has a right to use whatever instrumentation they want to have a fair shot at making money. Obviously ripping off someone’s melody with almost exact chord progression, especially one heard here on audiojungle is not a good idea.

Also Tim M. had a good point on a past post, he said if everyone starts copying a certain sound or song it just gives more power to the top sellers that already have that sound, when people search for that sound or vibe they will then sort by sales and buy a track with more sales. (At least I think that’s what Tim meant). I have heard a few top sellers that have a very new or unique sound and that is also a route to the top but more risky and luck becomes involved.

464 posts Think pink.
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

I think there is a certain sound that is hot right now and it is heard in almost every TV commercial these days. I think almost all have to be aware of that. If someone wants to compose using similar instrumentation that is fine, it is what sells and everyone has a right to use whatever instrumentation they want to have a fair shot at making money.

Agree completely. So how do we know when too many elements match? Can you have similarities with 3 out of 10 features of a track, but not 6 out of 10? Six out of 10, but not 8 out of 10?

563 posts
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

I think there is a certain sound that is hot right now and it is heard in almost every TV commercial these days. I think almost all have to be aware of that. If someone wants to compose using similar instrumentation that is fine, it is what sells and everyone has a right to use whatever instrumentation they want to have a fair shot at making money.
Agree completely. So how do we know when too many elements match? Can you have similarities with 3 out of 10 features of a track, but not 6 out of 10? Six out of 10, but not 8 out of 10?
If its a completely different song, melody, and chord progression, I wouldn’t care if someone had 10 out of 10 similarities as far as sounds(samples) used as one of my tracks.
192 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Netherlands
LGuitarB says

Not every element is equally important. There must be hundreds of tunes here using a I – VIm – IIm7 – V chord progression, and also using more or less a similar instrumentation. I think that the combination of melody and rhythm define 75% of the song though.

116 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
AudioQuattro says

I´ve noticed that myself, not only regarding my own tracks. I think it´s quite difficult to draw a line between a sound-alike and pure plagiarism. Being inspired by a track is fine, but copying the template as a roadmap and just changing a few notes is critical. But who would decide? On the other hand I think it´s quite stupid to copy a track that is in the popular files list as the track you´re producing is already out there. It already exists and it´s selling fine. You would need to be very lucky to get that rip off noticed and sold as many times as the original. Pure waste of time. I´d rather think of tracks which are not in the popular files list but could fit there nicely. But that´s a tough nut.

258 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
JumaStudios says

Really interesting thread. Of course new and old authors here realize there is a certain trend which works these days, that certain sound. So regarding instrumentation at least, you might wanna go for it and try your luck. It really takes talent, vision and even plenty of time to come up with your own sound and work your way up and set it as a trend. Majority of people wouldn’t go for this hard path,for one reason or the other. Reasons which can’t be considered wrong, like…lack of time, tools or simply the fact you have a better connection with another style or genre of music. I’m not much of a commercial composer. Don’t even have a track in my portofolio which might work with a tv or radio ad. But it happened for me to exercise this style and guess what…I realized that without even thinking about it, some melody was pretty much like one of the ones listened here as an example. You can hear one tune now and even after a month it can come back to you while composing and you really believe its yours. It happens. Thats another reason why I stay pretty much away from this genre. Regarding ukulele…pfoaah I might just finally buy one and smash it :D Joke aside, the instrument has a beautiful sound and it really delivers a story, a mood…but its soooooo overused! I do believe ukulele doesn’t neccesarely make somebody’s track a top seller.

170 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
solarsound says

It definitely is a problem, but buyers dictate the marketplace. If buyers want ukulele, people are going to write ukulele tracks until they are run into the ground. And unfortunately, there is only so much you can do with an instrument like that. So songs will sound the same. It is tough for artists to stay the path of their own sound, when they are trying to earn a living, so it is understandable to a point.

To be fair. I have seen top authors take lesser known tracks on audio jungle and copy them. Due to the authors sheer dominance in the marketplace, they have been more successful than the person they copied. Its a dog eat dog world.

by
by
by
by
by
by