1579 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

^ great! one more thing: can you add the purchasecode next to the sales reversal/other adjustment?
Agree — authors need to be able to disable licenses for reversed sales in support systems. Will buyer comments and direct messages show the user as a buyer or not after a sales reversal?

That does make good sense. I’ll find out where we’re at with giving tools to make sure authors aren’t giving support to someone who really shouldn’t get support. I think this will be chiefly concerned with offsite support systems.

In relation to comments and direct messages on the main Marketplaces, the buyer’s account will be disabled so there shouldn’t be any from that angle.

1484 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

^ great! one more thing: can you add the purchasecode next to the sales reversal/other adjustment?
Agree — authors need to be able to disable licenses for reversed sales in support systems. Will buyer comments and direct messages show the user as a buyer or not after a sales reversal?
“Additionally the Marketplace account associated with the reversed purchase is disabled so it can no longer be accessed.”
1025 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

Thank you for clarifying this.

Only one remark:
The section “When am I likely to see a sale reversal on my author statement?” does not mention the item purchased, it only talks about the money. The item remains at the fraudulent person, that’s the worst part, he can do whatever he wants with it.

Maybe you guys could implement something like a “verified” feature to Envato accounts? A “verified” status (in percents). In the beginning, when you create your Envato account, you are 1% “verified”. Then, with each purchase which is not “sale reversed”, your “verified” status increases. And when you have 1% verified status, you can only buy things which cost 1-2$. Then, when the “verified” status grows, your purchase limit grows too. At least, this will minimize the costs, both for Enavto and authors too.

1105 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+12 more
ranfirefly says

Hey Collis, great to hear from you.
Thanks for the article.

*Love your new avatar. 8)

1434 posts Determined to give you nothing but the best!
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
mrcharlesbrown says

+1 :)

2301 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
+9 more
Creattive says

Thank you for clarifying this.

Only one remark:
The section “When am I likely to see a sale reversal on my author statement?” does not mention the item purchased, it only talks about the money. The item remains at the fraudulent person, that’s the worst part, he can do whatever he wants with it.

Maybe you guys could implement something like a “verified” feature to Envato accounts? A “verified” status (in percents). In the beginning, when you create your Envato account, you are 1% “verified”. Then, with each purchase which is not “sale reversed”, your “verified” status increases. And when you have 1% verified status, you can only buy things which cost 1-2$. Then, when the “verified” status grows, your purchase limit grows too. At least, this will minimize the costs, both for Enavto and authors too.

so all new buyers need to buy something for 1-2$ they don’t need to be able to buy anything else? that’s a pretty bad idea.

1579 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hey greenline,

I totally agree! It’s incredibly frustrating that they end up with a copy of the item. I’ve put a lot of thought to ways to prevent this, but most solutions that I’m aware of ultimately hurt legitimate buyers. Typical solutions from other industries are of the DRM / software locking variety. I believe in most cases they do more harm than good – though I think there may be some contention on this subject out there.

There are non-DRM systems as well, like the ‘verified’ example you gave. They would definitely make things more troublesome for the people we want to keep out. But I think we’d end up sacrificing a lot of honest, good buyers. For example a few days ago we had a buyer appear whose first purchase was more than a hundred copies of the same plugin from CodeCanyon. Can you imagine! Naturally this triggered lots of alerts and so we had someone look up the company and do a bit of background research to double check them. It turns out they are a listed company and very legitimate buyer (in bulk!) who are presumably setting up a lot of websites. So a really good sort of buyer to have around!

It’s a tough balance to prevent the wrong people getting stuff while keeping the place open and welcoming for buyers. As you can imagine lots of resources go towards this, and I think we’ll be putting more and more in the future as some of this stuff is the reality of doing business online selling digital things.

It just really sucks that there are a bunch of people who end up with falsely obtained copies of items. :-(

1579 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

+1 :)

Thanks guys! I hired an awesome illustrator called Gagu on Microlancer to do it – you can get one for $75 and his average response time is <24 hrs!

2301 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
+9 more
Creattive says

For example a few days ago we had a buyer appear whose first purchase was more than a hundred copies of the same plugin from CodeCanyon. Can you imagine!

I can hardly imagine that a serious buyer repeats the purchase process 100 times for the same item because there is no such thing as a shopping cart.

That might be also the reason why this is a special rare case, btw.

1823 posts
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+12 more
SamBerson says

I’m sure this will have been answered before but is a refund a reversal? If an item is refunded does the author lose the money? Does the author even find out?

by
by
by
by
by
by