556 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
ThemeScience says

scroll bars need some work too, you have 2 different types (black/white) for them and both don’t seem to fit well with the rest

also, for me, image scroller has some weird behaviour when you are on first or last image and click on prev/next buttons.

Your goal was to give the whole template a rustic look but is not what i get from it.
Overall design needs rework, expetially controls like arrows
also transitions/over effects need to be more smooth

This is in Flex, and the “Transitions/Over effects” are what comes out of the box.

Thank you for the insight on these other issues.

We are starting to wonder if this file is even worth the hassle.

But thank You.

393 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
phantasmagoria says

Also, your upper menu should be consistent. All your Buttons starts with Uppercase but on “about us” its small-caps.

So i guess before flaming on reviewers, you should double check the template.

556 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ThemeScience says

Also, your upper menu should be consistent. All your Buttons starts with Uppercase but on “about us” its small-caps. So i guess before flaming on reviewers, you should double check the template.

on about us its Lowercase? is there any way, you could post a screenshot of this so we can see?

obviously we would have not overlooked something like that.

P.S. we were just concerned about the reviewer not being specific about the issues concerning the rejection.

Nothing personal, Just business. Hope You can understand.

Thanks

1600 posts Building the Web.
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+2 more
ZoomIt says

lacks consistency – about us menu item is lowercase only.. some scorllbars are white, some black, some fat, some slim

home page – looks ok 90% I would fix some spacing here and there

photos – you should do the transition AFTER the image has loaded

about us – it’s just a text.. maybe add a picture with html text

contacts – again, text spacing issues – what’s with the cascading text ??

8186 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

I haven’t read the other comments but I think the following:

Enter page:

The colours , shadows and glows just dont work. Your saying its supposed to look rustic, I really dont get that feel. Filter overload.

Main Site:

All text appears either off pixel or not embedded, isn’t crisp enough and is that Times New Roman? Thats really not going to give a rustic feel is it?

‘about us’ is lowercase on top menu, any reason? The rest start with uppercase, this should be consistent. The reviewer may have seen this and stopped here straight away.

Twitter box is really nice, looks rustic with that bg and bird image but the text just isn’t legible in that font at that size with bold applied for the actual tweet. The ‘X hours and minutes etc’ is even worse, you can’t read it.

Mouseover on Home, Menus etc isn’t very pleasing to the eye, if your using Flash then use Flash. Your mimicking basic HTML behavior with a program thats far more capable.

Scrollbars, you should only have one design and keep it consistent across the site. There are several including one which just looks like the default component?

Images just seem to appear on most pages, no preloader and no fade. Not nice for the eyes and i’m wondering whats going on.

The overlapping fade between pages also isn’t nice, fade one out then the other in.

The about page text starts tabbed in, why? And in white, why? Sorry but it looks awful.

Contact page starts with lowercase on the text and not all the text appears aligned.

Thumbnails on home page aren’t obvious what they are there for, you click and have to wait for the background to change, again no preloader but at least there is a fade this time. I also dont think the mouseover works on these thumbnails, grey isn’t a nice colour and certainly isn’t rustic. The scrollbar on this section also is slightly overlapping and is of no proportional size to the thumbnails box. The arrows either side of the thumbnails shown also have different spacing from the image??

Footer buttons: they seem just thrown in with no care for alignment with either the page or the text alongside them and have no mouseover states…

Just noticed the click and pan to zoom around image, nice touch but OMG its so unobvious! I’ve just spent 5 minutes looking at this site making the above critique and I only just noticed.

I think you need to spend longer in PS designing the site and perhaps ask for reviews on the design, which would save you the time of altering once you’ve developed it. You need to pay FAR more attention to details, no offence but this looks VERY rushed.

Considering alot of people aren’t wanting to use Flash for things as much anymore need to make the most of what Flash can offer to make them want to use it and this site doesn’t.

I hope the above is of some help, I tried to be honest as best as I could.

With regards to your first thread the reviewers are a very nice bunch and have no desire to prevent items being uploaded due to competitive advantage as mentioned in your other thread. They are chosen very carefully and aren’t allowed to review their own work. Please think twice before starting such threads again.

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

MSFX , you typed more than 2500 chars, disqualifying from the competition! :bigwink:

Wait… wrong thread, I couldn’t stop checking number of letters of long code :P

4247 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

Enter page:

The colours , shadows and glows just dont work. Your saying its supposed to look rustic, I really dont get that feel. Filter overload.

Main Site:

All text appears either off pixel or not embedded, isn’t crisp enough and is that Times New Roman? Thats really not going to give a rustic feel is it?

‘about us’ is lowercase on top menu, any reason? The rest start with uppercase, this should be consistent. The reviewer may have seen this and stopped here straight away.

Twitter box is really nice, looks rustic with that bg and bird image but the text just isn’t legible in that font at that size with bold applied for the actual tweet. The ‘X hours and minutes etc’ is even worse, you can’t read it.

Mouseover on Home, Menus etc isn’t very pleasing to the eye, if your using Flash then use Flash. Your mimicking basic HTML behavior with a program thats far more capable.

Scrollbars, you should only have one design and keep it consistent across the site. There are several including one which just looks like the default component?

Images just seem to appear on most pages, no preloader and no fade. Not nice for the eyes and i’m wondering whats going on.

The overlapping fade between pages also isn’t nice, fade one out then the other in.

The about page text starts tabbed in, why? And in white, why? Sorry but it looks awful.

Contact page starts with lowercase on the text and not all the text appears aligned.

Thumbnails on home page aren’t obvious what they are there for, you click and have to wait for the background to change, again no preloader but at least there is a fade this time. I also dont think the mouseover works on these thumbnails, grey isn’t a nice colour and certainly isn’t rustic. The scrollbar on this section also is slightly overlapping and is of no proportional size to the thumbnails box. The arrows either side of the thumbnails shown also have different spacing from the image??

Footer buttons: they seem just thrown in with no care for alignment with either the page or the text alongside them and have no mouseover states…

Just noticed the click and pan to zoom around image, nice touch but OMG its so unobvious! I’ve just spent 5 minutes looking at this site making the above critique and I only just noticed.

I think you need to spend longer in PS designing the site and perhaps ask for reviews on the design, which would save you the time of altering once you’ve developed it. You need to pay FAR more attention to details, no offence but this looks VERY rushed.

Considering alot of people aren’t wanting to use Flash for things as much anymore need to make the most of what Flash can offer to make them want to use it and this site doesn’t.

With regards to your first thread the reviewers are a very nice bunch and have no desire to prevent items being uploaded due to competitive advantage as mentioned in your other thread. They are chosen very carefully and aren’t allowed to review their own work. Please think twice before starting such threads again.

I just wanted to quote this masterminded product of a post. Its like… quilted and soft to the touch.

*EDIT

HA! It worked!! :D

556 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ThemeScience says

lacks consistency – about us menu item is lowercase only.. some scorllbars are white, some black, some fat, some slim

home page – looks ok 90% I would fix some spacing here and there

photos – you should do the transition AFTER the image has loaded

about us – it’s just a text.. maybe add a picture with html text

contacts – again, text spacing issues – what’s with the cascading text ??

Thank you

556 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ThemeScience says

Enter page:

Main Site:

Great! Thank you for being honest.

This is done in Flex 4/Flash catalyst.

Right now we are still building our code base for Flex 4. So we don’t have much to play with as of yet.

But from the sounds of it. It really isnt even worth our time to update this.

We are just going to upload our “Fresh” designs, and forget about “RUSTIC’ looks. lol

Thank You very much for all of your insight.

8186 posts Community Moderator
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

MSFX , you typed more than 2500 chars, disqualifying from the competition! :bigwink: Wait… wrong thread, I couldn’t stop checking number of letters of long code :P

LOL :D

@codempire, happy to help as are most of us. If you’d like advice on future designs before implementing them we are a very happy to help bunch :)

by
by
by
by
by
by