(Locked) Outrages Copy my own Template - Design & Animations I need help in making a complaint

49 posts creative.performance
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
mediacreed says

So this is not a waste of time. I will try to consider the human part and contact the author, but if the approach doesn’t work i will not back down.

This will happen:

1. You send a DCMA to the author, Envato will take the file down, maybe freeze some funds..

2. The author will send a counter DCMA, claiming that he did not copy your theme, and he will ask that you take down your DCMA notice, or he will throw you in court.. He will pursue Envato with the counter DCMA, so he’ll get his file back..

3. You will accomplish nothing.. These are international waters. You can’t sue someone in another country that easy :D

It doesn’t matter if you are wrong or right..i’m just saying that it’s not worth it.. Even if you are right.. If you can’t prove pixel perfect details + code rip, you won’t get nothing from this..

Thank you for sharing your opinion Ruben. I will follow the procedural steps.
Cheers,
Mediacreed

SnoopyIndustries
SnoopyIndustries Recent Posts Threads Started
372 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
SnoopyIndustries says

So this is not a waste of time. I will try to consider the human part and contact the author, but if the approach doesn’t work i will not back down.

This will happen:

1. You send a DCMA to the author, Envato will take the file down, maybe freeze some funds..

2. The author will send a counter DCMA, claiming that he did not copy your theme, and he will ask that you take down your DCMA notice, or he will throw you in court.. He will pursue Envato with the counter DCMA, so he’ll get his file back..

3. You will accomplish nothing.. These are international waters. You can’t sue someone in another country that easy :D

It doesn’t matter if you are wrong or right..i’m just saying that it’s not worth it.. Even if you are right.. If you can’t prove pixel perfect details + code rip, you won’t get nothing from this..

+1. Copying ideas isn’t copyright theft because you don’t have your ideas Registered, so you can’t kill a man for getting inspired, even if he did go over board or not. Code can only tell who’s right.

3610 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Cheers,
Mediacreed

I’m just saying .. there are authors on here which experienced the same stuff as you do now.. And after a lot of stress and frustration, they didn’t accomplish anything pursuing legal action.. The copy was taken down for a bit, then it got back up, and this was the end of it.. Happened before, so i don’t see why your case should be different..

+5 more
mediacreed says

This will happen:

+1. Copying ideas isn’t copyright theft because you don’t have your ideas Registered, so you can’t kill a man for getting inspired, even if he did go over board or not. Code can only tell who’s right.

Buyers will decide if copying ideas is worth something. We will see after his first week.
Cheers,
Mediacreed

+5 more
mediacreed says

Cheers,
Mediacreed
I’m just saying .. there are authors on here which experienced the same stuff as you do now.. And after a lot of stress and frustration, they didn’t accomplish anything pursuing legal action.. The copy was taken down for a bit, then it got back up, and this was the end of it.. Happened before, so i don’t see why your case should be different..

Even if you don’t say it i can feel your support for me. So thank you and i am experiencing it for the first time so if you knew how it felt the first time it happend to you then i am pretty sure you understand me :)

Cheers,
Mediacreed

1831 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

What I said in my previous message is to just fill in a DMCA to the support team and they will analyze it for you, writing on the forum and arguing with other authors won’t help you, might hurt your reputation a bit.

If you’ll look at many single page themes released recently, most of them have the same idea as SCRN and yet, they don’t sell nowhere near it, it’s not worth fighting with them(even if they’re not copycats, but the idea is copycat).

SnoopyIndustries
SnoopyIndustries Recent Posts Threads Started
372 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
SnoopyIndustries says

Mate we all support you in this, we’ve all felt or will feel at a certain point what you’re feeling now, what everybody is against here is your attitude regarding the matter. I know, it su#%s to be in your position now, but just try to calm yourself down. If that’s really copied from you it will stand no chance in front of yours because:

1. yours is better

2. yours is featured

3. yours already has a bucket load of sales and clients love seeing that

So just try to calm down, leave the lawyers out of this, contact support, but try to analize the guy’s code and see if he really stole it. Sending Envato a few print screens won’t help. Everybody gets inspired here, as I said, nobody here is Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

Cheers

Cheers,
Mediacreed

Even if you don’t say it i can feel your support for me. So thank you and i am experiencing it for the first time so if you knew how it felt the first time it happend to you then i am pretty sure you understand me :)

Cheers,
Mediacreed
+5 more
mediacreed says

Mate we all support you in this, we’ve all felt or will feel at a certain point what you’re feeling now, what everybody is against here is your attitude regarding the matter. I know, it su#%s to be in your position now, but just try to calm yourself down. If that’s really copied from you it will stand no chance in front of yours because:

1. yours is better

2. yours is featured

3. yours already has a bucket load of sales and clients love seeing that

So just try to calm down, leave the lawyers out of this, contact support, but try to analize the guy’s code and see if he really stole it. Sending Envato a few print screens won’t help. Everybody gets inspired here, as I said, nobody here is Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

Cheers

Cheers,
Mediacreed

Cheers,
Mediacreed

Thank you for your comment :). I am calm, i am honest and i am telling that i was really nervous in my first comments. But after the 2nd page i calmed down.

I am not here in arguing with any other users. So as we men do sometimes, I do apologize if i offended any other author that replied to this comment.

I expressed my thoughts and was as direct as it could be.

Cheers,
Mediacreed

51 posts
MightyFine says

Buyers will decide if copying ideas is worth something. We will see after his first week.

You mentioned this a couple of times already, but if you think it through, you might realize that this is not going to happen. This is not a case of a well-known brand like Apple – where everybody recognizes its products through logo and design in a second – and a blatant no-name wallmart copy of an iPod. There are simply two themes that look alike, the buyers won’t care because you (no harm intended!) are not a well-known brand.

If buyers would compare the two themes they won’t even realize which one was there first unless they check the date or this thread – and even then they won’t care, they buy what they like without moral conflicts (and most will buy yours because it’s better looking, has more sales, probably better rating and easier accessible since you said it’s in the top files.)

Other than that, I see the similarities and I strongly advise talking to the author himself, because I think that DMCA, let alone court will not help you in a timely manner; however I would still prefer DMCA.

No, I don’t know the author and I have never heard of you as well. Objective opinions given.

Cheers!

226 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
hogash says

I really don’t see the outrageous copy. It’s most likely heavily inspired, but that’s all i;m sure there isn’t copied code. How about Ruben’s WowWay or Elastico, they could say you stolen the idea and did it differently, however they didn’t. We all seek inspiration somewhere. I also found bits of my work here on the markets and i was actually flattered my work is inspirational.

I’m sure you’re just really pissed off right now, that’s all :)

EDIT: My point is that you shouldn’t take it too personal and get through this quickly.

I also see you’ve calmed down now, which is really good :)

by
by
by
by
by
by