• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Yeah – that’s my biggest concern. How do you define premium support? And how can Envato be expected to enforce that?

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

I have proposed a system like this before, but more along the lines of a fee for a set number of tickets. Of course you have to deal with what the scope of the ticket could be. I would hate to waste a ticket on a question about resizing a logo when someone else is asking for customization to the theme with their ticket.

Maybe the system would work better if you bought support tickets to use, but any author could answer the ticket. This would lead to competition and hopefully better support. Maybe there could be a support quiz like the author quiz to weed out the riffraff.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

I think it should be a gamble for the buyers rather than the authors. Allow me to explain.

Rather than hire a whole bunch of staff members to monitor all support queries, there should be a money-back guarantee. If a buyer feels that an author is failing to provide adequate support, they can “report” the author in order to get their money back, which an Envato staff member can check and use his or her discretion. Money could be refunded depending on how long they have had their premium privileges for, in combination with how many support questions have been previously answered before the author’s “failure”.

61 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
_jd says

Or just integrate a ticket system for the buyers <-> authors, When buyers have problems they can report the ticket and envato staff can review it and see the entire conversation (ticket history) and judge based on that.

And it can be up to the author to charge a (preferable small) amount for premium (answered within 24/48/72 hours) support option, payable with envato credits (balance)

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

I think separating the support provider from the author is key. If Kriesi provides the best support, I should be able to buy support packages from him, and he should be able to provide support for other authors’ themes if he wants. That way, if an author has beautiful themes but no time for support, someone else can fill this void and make a profit. Plus the buyers benefit from having a single point of contact despite having themes from multiple authors.

10 posts
  • Argentina
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
eneaa says

I love the idea. Would have to polish it but it certainly is a great idea

What if the buyer could buy ticket for support. Each ticket would be a question that the buyer can make. Any author could answer, if the buyer is pleased, and approves the response, the author receives a percentage of the cost of ticket.

In this way any author who wants to earn some extra dollars could do. And both the author and the buyer benefit

124 posts
  • Ireland
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
OllieMcCarthy says

I love the idea. Would have to polish it but it certainly is a great idea

What if the buyer could buy ticket for support. Each ticket would be a question that the buyer can make. Any author could answer, if the buyer is pleased, and approves the response, the author receives a percentage of the cost of ticket.

In this way any author who wants to earn some extra dollars could do. And both the author and the buyer benefit

That’s crowdsourcing and I personally don’t like the idea of it since a lot of people are basically going to be wasting their time.

It needs to be efficient and fair. Just off the top of my head – how’s about this – support sessions. The buyer requests something. When the author gets around to the request s/he starts the session. If it is a simple question then the session is small and if it turns out to be a big issue then the session is large. The time of the session is calculated and multiplied by the hourly rate of the author. Once finished the envato credits are deducted from the buyers account. The session is then rated by the buyer.

Obviously there is one major drawback to this and that is author honesty (browsing this forum could become a favorite support activity). How you police that is anyones guess but there you go; I just thought I’d throw it into the mix :)

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

That’s crowdsourcing and I personally don’t like the idea of it since a lot of people are basically going to be wasting their time.

Wasting their time how? I buy a theme from Author A, and she’s too busy to provide support. I post my question in the support marketplace and Authors B, C, and D offer to help. I pick author C based on his ratings, I transfer the credits, he provides the answer, I rate his performance…that’s very efficient.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

My concern is: would other authors be able to put their hands on my framework? What if they edit something in a wrong way and then new problems come out without my responsability?

Other authors can’t support all the themes, how could they know how all the themes work?

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

My concern is: would other authors be able to put their hands on my framework? What if they edit something in a wrong way and then new problems come out without my responsability? Other authors can’t support all the themes, how could they know how all the themes work?

That’s the same risk you take when the buyers modify the framework. Actually, the buyer would be more likely to screw something up than another author would. I think that most support requests won’t even require editing source code. In fact just last night I was able to help someone out as a result of this thread, and I only needed access to the WordPress admin and the documentation.

by
by
by
by
by
by