202 posts I'm a Husky Designer
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
designcrumbs says

Just playing devil’s advocate here; Mind you, I do care about the community here greatly.

What is the incentive for a theme author to do this? If a TF author has a theme and uses a CC plugin and a few PD photos that are ‘bundled’ with it, those CC and PD authors are making additional sales due to the TF author’s work without lifting a finger.

73 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
MihaiMarcuta says

Just playing devil’s advocate here; Mind you, I do care about the community here greatly. What is the incentive for a theme author to do this? If a TF author has a theme and uses a CC plugin and a few PD photos that are ‘bundled’ with it, those CC and PD authors are making additional sales due to the TF author’s work without lifting a finger.

I love kailoon’s idea but you opened my eyes because this statement has a huge portion of truth. It will not be reliable for authors because they have to purchase the photos, plugins and in the final end they will receive the same payment as without it. Maybe create some kind of partnership between authors and allow them to use each other’s files for free (however, sharing files for free is not a good idea as well).

No matter what is the outcome, I am pretty sure that the TF authors will end up giving support both for the theme and the plugin.

590 posts It's just life. Just live it.
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
Themes-Dojo says

That would be a great idea but not new :D I used to have packages on ActiveDen composed from 3 or 5 items from the same type, like 5 galleries or 5 templates. I wanted to submit a package like this on TF but it was rejected.
I am not sure I understand the ‘packages’ you are talking about. Mind to explain?

I would place a link for better understand but it’s not allowed :D . Anyway, I released a lot of flash image galleries and from time to time I made a package with latest five galleries and uploaded to AD and it was accepted. I did the same with templates.

• Won a competition
+8 more
Themes-Dojo says

The package I’m talking about cost less than the all components together so it would be like a bundle.

My latest package was a 5 template package and it costs $70, the full price of all templates is more than $135 :)

2061 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

The package I’m talking about cost less than the all components together so it would be like a bundle. My latest package was a 5 template package and it costs $70, the full price of all templates is more than $135 :)

That’s not the same thing at all.

632 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

If you apply thought and logic you can see such an idea would be a nightmare. Currently, we have a “regular license” and an “extended license”. It is my understanding that you have to purchase an extended license in order to re-sell bits you’ve purchased from other marketplaces (there are also other rules in addition to this). Therefore it would be appropriate to force the extended license. Now it just doesn’t make sense – why would you spend $000’s to get an extended license and then let the author make money? Surely you want to take every penny?

This system can also be abused it isn’t funny. Definitely room for manipulation.

No disrespect but this idea is very poorly thought out and would require huge (massive) changes to licenses, software, legal stuff and whatnot for it to work. I for one hope this never ever comes to light.

• Won a competition
+8 more
Themes-Dojo says

The package I’m talking about cost less than the all components together so it would be like a bundle. My latest package was a 5 template package and it costs $70, the full price of all templates is more than $135 :)
That’s not the same thing at all.

Yeah, but this would be a good idea too!

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Thanks for all the inputs, well, if its a bad idea, then just kill it :) In the end, its just a very raw idea. My intention is try to help authors in in directly create a collaboration between authors from different expertises.

So, what I am saying here, is just ideas/suggestions. Not ‘you have to do it this way’ :p

@designcrumbs Themes authors can use implement the plugins / scripts by purchasing regular license / get it for free. They might earn more from your themes, but they will provide support and continue to provide more quality contents and you can implement that in your new themes. Make sense? So we do care about this community, right?

@Bluntaxe Yes, it might happend. Thats why a clear and well documentation is needed so buyers know where to get support.

@Thecodingdude Yup, but I am assuming there is no extended license needed for package selling because all items within the package will get +1 purchase. I am not sure how often authors sell an extended license. But volume could be the answer. Yes, the current extended license may need adjustment to suit this idea :) I don’t think it required massive changes tho.

Again, thanks for all your inputs and time :)

332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Please note there are many aspects to this that has no bearing on the licensing nightmare envisaged. If this is a bad idea, how come I bought the Web Designer Pro Bundle from here last Christmas containing AD, CC, GR, PD and TF items? Can the same ‘thought and logic’ applied to that bundle be applied to what Kailoon is referring?

by
by
by
by
by
by