• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

Everybody should only think about his business…

131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Portugal
edumicro says

As I said, I’m hearing your suggestions and thoughts. :) I just had this idea, but if any developer out there have something better to offer or any other business model, just send me an email or post it in this thread.

3415 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

As I said, I’m hearing your suggestions and thoughts. :) I just had this idea, but if any developer out there have something better to offer or any other business model, just send me an email or post it in this thread.

I agree there’s no reason a respectable designer and developer couldn’t work together in this fashion. It just requires a certain amount of trust :)

My only suggestion to you would be to consider support. If you have a developer create a theme for you, will you be able to support it yourself? Just something to think about.

364 posts Onuro
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeKioken says

Support alone is a heavy workload to keep up with.

As a designer, I sometimes collaborate with developers but at the end I find it best to develop what I design myself as no matter how detailed and time consuming the theme design has been, design never requires more effort than developing that design.

For that matter, the developer either needs to get the higher commission or needs to be hired per project for a fee.

Theme design is something super easy IMHO , it’s the output/development part which is pain and takes time to turn design into something editable and customizable for the buyers :)

So conclusion from my perspective;

Design: Easy peasy, less effort, more classy way of working > Less revenue Dev: Sometimes hard, more effort, pain way of working > More revenue

When I do client work (doing design only), life is much easier for me. But when I switch back to designing and developing themes, the customizability and feature variety part of development is something that adds real value to the product. So dev. is the real work behind themes.

So, if you are a designer too and didn’t respect the enormous efforts of developers to make your design functional, I believe you should :)

131 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
edumicro says

@iProThemes, no doupt that development takes time and can be harder. But good designs also are hard to come up with. ;) One thing is to design something quickly and that looks good, another thing is to design something carefully and that looks great!

Design, might look easy, but behind it there is a huge and complex world. :)

Answering to your last phrase, yes I do respect developers, and I believe that they MUST have a good % of the comissions when it comes to selling themes at themeforest, afterall, they’re going to give support to the themes, and have all the coding and development hard work. :)

But I hope that developers can also respect the designers. :)

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says
@edumicro FlameBox look really nice. I recommend you start with it :)
But I hope that developers can also respect the designers.
Me and the designer ( duotive ) have a very good relation and i respect him and his work :) So it’s possible.
131 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
edumicro says

@duotive, thanks man. So you’re the developer?

4 posts
ajaykumarmeher says

Hey,

My name is Eduardo, and I’m a Web Designer from Portugal. I design since September 2007 and I have some well developed skills when it comes to designing websites, mainly WordPress Themes. http://edumicro.deviantart.com or http://dribbble.com/eduardo

At the moment I have some ongoing projects that I would like to code and make available on ThemeForest for sale. I only know how to code (html/css) but my skills don’t equal my design ones. So…

My proposal, as the title says is about something that I think that might be a great deal for any developer out there. ;)

So, the idea is this:

- I create a design (.psd) that I want to be coded and converted into a WordPress Theme, which in the end will be available for sale here on ThemeForest. I sell this theme on my profile.

- As a payment to the developer, I can design for him/her for example 2 custom and exclusive multi-page WordPress Themes. Of couse that the amount of designs can be discussed. You (developer) sell the 2 themes in your profile. :)

I hope that you understood the idea, and I’m hearing suggestions from developers here on ThemeForest that might be interested in this partnership.

Thanks, Eduardo

I am quite interested in your proposal. You can hit me up in gtalk at ajaykumarmeher@gmail.com for further discussion.

131 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
edumicro says

Send all the details using the contact form located on my TF profile page, and please include your portfolio. Thanks

by
by
by
by
by
by