3402 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 500+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
bobocel says
If i could do it all i again, i think i would only make templates and put a huge amount of effort into help files, tutorials etc.. and maybe only have 10 or so files in my portfolio.

I fully agree with you here. Less files, better planned, much better documentation. That seems to be the only way to manage so much at once.

I don’t mind putting the article in the blog, will shoot Cyan an email to see what she thinks. On a side note might not be a good thing to FlashDen, if people trying to get on board are lazy. :D

Regarding companies, I started my own and I would never trust anybody to sign in to my account. Not even gf. That’s why I realized how hard it must be for someone to be a company and still upload files, provide support, etc. Why in the world wouldn’t the guys building that stuff do it for themselves?! :)

1234 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says

Help files, Help files, Help files.

I spend twice as much time commenting and writing help as I do building every one of my files.

As of today (27th Aussie Time) my sales for this month are 151, and I project 180-200 for the month, and I spend very little time doing help, and all of my files are large and complex.

I also have this wonderful trick of replying to most help emails that start with “Can you do blah blah blah” with a response “Yes you can, blah blah blah” letting it be known in a nice way from the first response they they are to edit their own files, not expect me to do it :) The response “The source files are included and you should be able to add that feature without too much issue.” is also a favorite. Stock is not custom, and coming up with polite and courteous ways to say that has saved me many hours this month for sure ;)

1234 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says

ooops, it morning in Detroit, numbers don’t work well in my head in morning, meant to say around 130 projected 160-180 ;) But the point is still valid!

1389 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
Pdesignx says

and also you need to be featured in the blog with your forum post :D

congrats :)))

238 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Onza says

I agree with some ideas like make good help files, give support and upload files with frequency… three things I don’t do for a long time… I can tell you, my sales are a very small number right now.

828 posts
    Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market Won a competition Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+7 more
wpbakery says

I agree with all what have been said here. Right now I’m making a big template. And right after I’ll be done coding, I’ll start to make comprehensive help files ad I really hope that it will boost my sales :)

3402 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 500+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
bobocel says

A good idea would be to link to the files from the description, for people that cannot decide by themselves if they want to purchase the template or not.

5888 posts
    Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says
Less files, better planning, continuous support and more documentation

This is the best way to keep the buyers and ourself peaceful for a long run. By the way, it is nice to see this thread linked to the blog.

91 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
quickyboy says

Normally I’m kinda quiet on forums, but this thread got my attention. So here is my idea of a top FD author secret(my opinion):

1. Design then coding. The only thing you gotta do is make a really nice looking and useful file. Make sure it catches the eye, put your soul in it! Just good coding may waste your file’s potential.

2. How you support your file so that you make yours and your customer’s life easier? Right now I am trying to build an Online Support Section for each file. An OSS is 24/7 available for your customers and they will not “bother” you with emails asking the same question. Building a really good OSS will give you enough time to work on your freelance projects (maybe). ;)

Here’s an example of one of my OSSs: http://www.bestwebapplications.com/pan/Q%20Template%20Support/

3. Building more files gets you to the top. Laziness is a risk that you must assume. Doing more files means more sales and that is like gold for your exposure.

4. Exposure is crucial for your life on FD. It doesn’t matter how good your files are or how many you have as long as we can’t see them, or can’t find them. You gotta be there in the spotlights like a Hollywood Star! :D

5. Once you’re in the top, you gotta stay there! Don’t think that if you’re lazy, other authors are also lazy. Some of them are coming to get you! :)

Flashden is my first love and love is like a muscle – you got to work it out! :)

PS: I have a strange feeling that I’m kinda off-topic… Ha-ha! :D

320 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
eirehotspur says

Good luck to people who can make a lot of money from this.

As with a lot of businesses, quality usually wins over quantity.

The website should be upgraded a bit to make trolling through files by type a bit better.

If I see another banner rorator with a pause button and circles I am goin to throw myself off the top of my desk.

As I bought well over 100 files on my first few months on FD, Video Files are probably the only files now that will catch my attention.

by
by
by
by
by
by