• Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

There’s this trend to create really cool desktop PC systems with water cooling. Not sure if it is quieter to cool your PCs this way, but is it worth a go? What do you think?

Water & electronics don’t get very well together! :P

1244 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

There’s this trend to create really cool desktop PC systems with water cooling. Not sure if it is quieter to cool your PCs this way, but is it worth a go? What do you think? Water & electronics don’t get very well together! :P

It depends on your budget & on the PC Config. If it doesn’t need to be water cooled then there is no point to make it (other than being in trend with others). Ofc. using water you can get 20* C less than on an air cooled system, but let’s take an example: i5-2500K in idle on an air cooled system: 40* (which is perfectly fine), vs. 30* – this is just an example. If you don’t need it, don’t install it, imo :).

2488 posts Community Officer
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+15 more
contrastblack Staff says

So… you want to get your pc watercooled :D

I suggest you start out small, cheap, and “pre-built” before you venture into putting your first watercooler set together.

Look into the corsair kits (h100-h50 etc), Antec also provides the Kühler 920 and there should be others worth comparing. I currently went for two Antec 920 paired on my dual xeon machine. Temperatures under full load without O/C are around 46° C, with O/C of about 8-10% they reach 55°.

The recommended server coolers for the xeons were keeping it at around 40-45° in idle, just so you get an idea of the difference. Now I don’t really know about the silence factor, seeing as each of the kits has 2 120 fans that are regulated automatically via usb, and go up to the sky… so 4 fans just for the CPUs means about the same noise level as that of a vacuum cleaner on the lowest setting.

Later, after you went through seeing the benefits and managed to install the cooling paste properly, gained experience with cable management and “pipe-management”, finding spots where to install the radiator properly etc, you can think about the diy kits you can find online. You need this basic experience in order to gain confidence and ensure you understand how the flow works :D

1731 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

There’s this trend to create really cool desktop PC systems with water cooling. Not sure if it is quieter to cool your PCs this way, but is it worth a go? What do you think? Water & electronics don’t get very well together! :P

Actually I’m more into the system performance than how cool it looks like. If you are into doing something really hardcore with your desktop system, overclocking for example; then water cooling is an extreme option. I myself prefer investing into new generation of hardware that is silent and less power consumption, rather than purchasing a hardcore cooling system. If you choose to go with water cooling because you really need it, you should not be worried about the water & electronic things, though. It must have been tested carefully to be risk free :) my 2 cents.

647 posts SickFlyers.com
  • Elite Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+7 more
INDUSTRYKIDZ says

i say Dont. worthless unless u into Overclocking , most programs dont need it video games have a limit how much they can go . so it worth less unless u wanna make your case looks cool. but when it fails then u risking alot!. thats just my 2cents

2097 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

I have used them for many years with no problem, but there is really only one reason to use this type of cooling, It is if you plan on overclocking above 5%. I am normally overclocking ram, cpu and graphics cards so it is really important.

I have never had problem with leaks or anything like that!

536 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Serbia
Farley_Design says

I overclocked my i7 from 2.66 to 4.0GHz. I’m using Noctua 1366 cooler and CPU temperature never went over 40*C even after seven days of 24 hour rendering (CPU load 100% all the time). So… NO! You don’t need water cooling ;)

PS. CPU and cooler are still alive and kicking, after two years of hard core exploitation.

:)

79 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
bangingthemes says

Whats the worst thing you can put in your computer? _

305 posts Tabvn
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
tabvn says

This is for Gamer, i think so.

1244 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
Pricop says

This is for Gamer, i think so.

Not really, for example you might want to OC your processor (and cool it with water) to get better performances when rendering a 3d studio max scene, and also all sort of other PC operations.

by
by
by
by
by
by