205 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

They want you to upload as much as possible. They want you to fight to have a place on the homepage. They won’t change anything.

Kailoon said it, they lowered the standards. They have more and more authors/items, and they lower the standard? Look no further my friend :)

Open photoshop, design something, code it, upload it and hope for the best, that’s the only thing you can do.

And upload as much as you can.
And now i am wondering why we are working months for perfection. I am curious what will happen when we upload our new theme. If something bad happens we will start flooding with themes. :D

Flood is the key nowadays if you want my opinion.

BTW , your last 3 themes are just pure awesomeness.

You guys should have your own place to sell them.

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

I am looking at some themes that have “landed” and i want to pull my hair off.

BTW , your last 3 themes are just pure awesomeness.

Thanks man. We take a lot of time to make them as good as we can. We might consider that in the future. And just a an extra: every single one of them got rejected the first time. I wanna see what will happen with the new one. Almost done.

205 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

Fu*ck me. That just confirmed what I’m trying to say.

They want more themes in here, not less.

They don’t give a damn about quality anymore.

They are going for the quantity and it’s a shame but they do it for a reason, they are not stupid.

With the years, I’ve come to accept Envato’s principles, wich is that they don’t have any except making big bucks. Wich is not bad, that’s what we are all here for.

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

F___ me. That just confirmed what I’m trying to say.

They want more themes in here, not less.

They don’t give a damn about quality anymore.

They are going for the quantity and it’s a shame but they do it for a reason, they are not stupid.

With the years, I’ve come to accept Envato’s principles, wich is that they don’t have any except making big bucks. Wich is not bad, that’s what we are all here for.

I do not want to comment what they want to do or not, but in my head, if you start adding low quality themes with low quality support, customers will migrate, and the hunger for more money will be turned in a hunger for survival.

After edit: and i see that someone ( k ) adapted to the situation and is pulling out more themes, but not that good with quality.

254 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
PabloFierro says

I smell rebellion here, just kidding, but i honestly feel envato is not being grateful at all with authors, specially those who have sold thousands and thousands of dollars.

People sometimes ripoff their themes and sell them here and still get a few thousands for copying someone else’s work, i mean what the hell is that ? what kind of place takes something like that ?

Please @collis do something about it, or people might get tired and they will be leaving the marketplace and only shitty and ripoffs will remain, it will become some sort of mojo-themes site.

Cheers

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Well I recently got called negative and a “half glass full kinda guy” by talking (actually wasn’t me I was just agreeing but whatever) about Envato marketplaces decline in standards by someone close to “the mothership” but I can understand that after contemplating their twitter response to me.

What I just want to say is (and I do mean this from the heart) that when I first joined here and I was fresh to all this stuff I sincerely enjoyed the support from other authors, the amazement everyday of opening my browser to see “what the other guys and gals” had uploaded and it truly inspired me to design better, code more efficiently etc It’s been a blast learning through selling (that’s really what we do here) and now, I just feel like it’s all kinda disappearing. It’s simply cut-throat between authors rather than cheering each others sales along.

I remember I used to tweet-out every other author’s new items to help them along, but now with individual sales of items being so low in comparison who would do this? I mean don’t get me wrong I still do it but in far smaller amounts now.

It’s just such a shame things have gone this way and in all honesty Envato it’s not the authors that have steered the ship down this rocky patch of water, it’s you and you alone.

As Danny quite rightly stated they aren’t bothered, I don’t have an issue with that as Danny says it’s their business and they need to make money. But he is completely and utterly correct when he said:

They want more themes in here, not less. They don’t give a damn about quality anymore.

It’s really sad in all honesty, I miss the good old days of solid items, great innovation, high standards we ALL had to reach.. but as Duotive also said I also see some authors who produced really amazing stuff just now going with the flow of new release, new release and they aren’t that amazing anymore because they have had to change their business model.

I for one will NOT reduce the quality of my items to compete in the swamp. I will continue to push myself and my team beyond our limits to produce the best we possibly can and when the time comes, and again I want to state this is something Envato have the power to change, we will find an alternative avenue for sales of our items.

Envato, please do something to save what was once (and quite recently) an awesome place to be part of, learn and earn from, and yes even make new friends all while enjoying each others good fortunes.

Jonathan

109 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
Weborithm says

Interesting topic guys/girls.

If I had to guess the reason they’re accepting a lot more themes now is probably because they’ve seriously re-vamped the pricing and will introduce a tiered system. Like a department store, you have your local store branded t-shirt at $9.99, Calvin Klein at $25 and Armani at $75. Not saying that’s what it will be like here, just a guess.

I’m hoping that’s what’s in the pipeline though. It’s what I would do anyway.

If you look at the WordPress.org themes, they have 1515 themes currently with close to 50 million downloads (granted, most of those numbers are just people re-downloading updates). Even if you count 20% of that number, it’s 10 million! I don’t think all the themes combined here have been sold a million times. So there’s still a lot of growth you guys can experience. Also, the WordPress.org themes, though lacking in design aesthetics, do make up for in technical ability and coding with WordPress standards (most of the time). Which is not always the case here. I’ve independently fixed a lot of things wrong with some of the top 20 themes being sold here for clients who have bought them and wanted customizations. It was painfully profitable.

Community and all that is great, but they’re a business. They’ve always been a business. Perhaps you feel the enthusiasm has been diminishing lately, I’m sure the higher ups are still very passionate about what they do. But, at the end of the day they still have numbers to crunch.

I’m not defending them, just offering a perspective which they don’t know how to relate to you guys without getting too involved in business speak. I’ve been selling my own stuff independently for quite some time now, so I can kinda relate to my presumption of their strategy (which, again, is just my mind thinking…nothing official).

Anyway, best of luck to all of you.

1435 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Hey guys, I think there is a little miss-understanding on ‘low quality’ term. I apologize, I may said it wrongly. The quality here is not referring to the design, but … something else… its not secret or confidential stuff, but its just not appropriate to post it on the forum. But, if you find any themes that you think its sub par or ugly, feel free to shot me an email. I will discuss with other reviewers.

@Danny We do CARE about the quality! You know me!!!

@duotive Your works are impressive. Take a look at your first upload and the latest 2, the improvements are huge. Both quality and sales. It is true that when we grow, we need more items, thats something we cannot/hard to change, but buyers are not stupid, they know which is good. Also, the new pricing system is on the way. Your hard work will not be wasted. I know you guys are pushing so hard when developing new themes, I think, it deserved better pricing, and, it will be.

@Jonathan Who said that? You’re not!!! You are just .. real. I like to read your posts here. Direct – simple – honest.

406 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Nepal
+3 more
RelStudios says

And I don’t say that to be negative or anything. Envato is a company and every company’s goal is to make money, and they make a lot of money.

When they say “We love our authors etc etc” .. guys don’t be naive .. they can’t “Love” you .. they love the fact that you work your ass to upload themes and make their marketplace a good business for them.

And they probably work as crazy as we all do to make that all possible so there is no point critizing the system here.

Envato will do what they always did and they will do well.

As for top designers/coders .. I think there will be less and less here but that won’t affect Envato’s wallet at all.

+1000 Superb !! Cheers !!

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

We where rejected because the reviewer did not understand parts of the design. Ok, we changed it and it was fine, but EXCUSE ME , how you can you accept themes that wobble all the time on hovers, and do not have styles added for basic from elements? – that shows the developer power – looks fine on safari on a mac – who cares about windows users huh? I will not point fingers, because that is not something that i like to do, i respect everybodys work, even if i do not like it, but i disagree with accepting it here. Maybe i am a communist?

by
by
by
by
by
by