2231 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

I have to say I am slightly worried. I don’t mean to sound like a stressed and worried old-lady, but..

I started at GR, and it’s such an amazing marketplace with such fantastic products. The problem, as any other author from pretty much any other marketplace will agree (except CC and 3DO), is the vast amount of items getting accepted. It seems as if there are certain levels in which Envato marketplaces have evolved:

1. GR and AJ got so many items, it was quite ridiculous to except to be even one day in the front-page. (I’m not mentioning AD because I’m no author there)

2. PD comes in, introducing batch-uploads that then spread out to the other aforementioned marketplaces, hell breaks loose.

Fix: Only one item-per-author would be displayed.

3. Now, it seems as if TF is catching the trend GR and AJ got one year ago (see point 1), while these two are already on another level (point 2, batch-uploading). The problematic difference I see between TF and these marketplaces, is that an item-per-author solution won’t help. In TF no author uploads 5 or even 200 themes all at once, there are just too many authors uploading their very new theme.

Furthermore, TF always had this feeling of marketplace Eden , where it rains money and people are happy. What now? I mean, the control over high-quality themes has gone (yes yes, there are still certain requirements, but let me explain) and there are so many more themes being published. That said, here’s another flaw in the reviewing-system that I sadly cannot understand. Let me put it in this simple context:

few themes + super-mega-high standards = few super-mega-unique and high-end themes
kazillion themes + low standards = kazillion low-end, simply badly designed and coded themes.

WHY ?! I mean, if anything, the standard should have risen like crazy, to make a cutting line and let only the VERY BEST accepted.

That’s it. I’ll just rest now.
Love,

Chris

EDIT : And I forgot to say, as Karma-Themes suggested, the only way to get exposure now is to bring users from outside. That, sadly, is not an option everyone has (not at the level of visits TF has).

177 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
xdkd says

I especially like how all themes (good ones, bad ones) get the same price tag) Well, it’s right in the sense, let buyers decide and vote with their money.

1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

I mean, if anything, the standard should have risen like crazy, to make a cutting line and let only the VERY BEST accepted.

EDIT : And I forgot to say, as Karma-Themes suggested, the only way to get exposure now is to bring users from outside. That, sadly, is not an option everyone has (not at the level of visits TF has).

+1 I’m author here, I’ve been rejected maany times, and now I’m thankfull for that, because my themes were crap in first versions. And I’ve never thought I could say that, but please, make it harder to get theme accepted..

And if you need to bring users from outside to sell themes here, what’s the point of ThemeForest then?

57 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
StelianSubotin says

As a buyer here, i am also a bit concerned about the number of themes being accepted at the moment.

For the last days, i have been following the PSD category specifically and i was just thinking, WTF happened?!

When i first saw 3-4 themes accepted over-night, i was thinking, damn, those designs must be really great, and it’s a rarity to see 4 designs accepted in a day. So, after i took a look at all of them, i honestly was disappointed and was thinking that it could be the reviewer with it’s personal taste, but guys, the next days weren’t different at all and it wasn’t about personal tastes anymore. Now i don’t even browse the PSD category anymore because i hardly believe i will see a nice design, and if i will, it will easily get lost in that bunch of “low-quality themes”.

@kailoon, got really surprised when you actually admitted that the standards were lowered, why so? I remember there was a thread some good months ago and (please correct me if i’m wrong) Dany Duchaine, DDStudios at that time, with a bunch of authors were complaining about the low quality standards, and then Kailoon said “If you want higher standards, no problem guys :)” and now this is really strange. If these requests to increase the revision standards were asked before, and now, they are lowered, makes me think that there “is something in the pipeline” regarding it…

Cheers.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
+8 more
jonathan01 says
And if you need to bring users from outside to sell themes here, what’s the point of ThemeForest then?

This my friend is my biggest issue and always has been with themeforest as they have always stated that you should be doing your own marketing… but it’s a MARKETPLACE that Envato run and therefore they are responsible for bringing in the traffic, not authors.

Quick breakdown:

• I bring traffic / do marketing
  • I bring the product
  • You set the price (too low)
  • You take 30-50%....
At what point do I need ThemeForest??

If I can do 2 of the 4 things above well, then I have my own marketplace. The whole reason we come here is that they provide the platform and audience – if the platform isn’t doing it’s job because of over saturation and we have to do the marketing then what?

Jonathan

PS – still no price increases – I’ll just keep mentioning it – thinking of releasing a counter page to display the time we’re waiting for price increases :)

3749 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

Nothing lasts forever. ActiveDen was a fantastic place to make money, many people did and later we all know what happened; for all those who thinks TF will bring them infinite money-time, be ready for surprises. Nothing new, anyway, happens to almost anything on life. Where money is, there always be crowds, once the money ends, crowd will move to other place.

More files, even not top notch, means more money to Envato. Nothing wrong with it.

2231 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

Nothing lasts forever. ActiveDen was a fantastic place to make money, many people did and later we all know what happened; for all those who thinks TF will bring them infinite money-time, be ready for surprises. Nothing new, anyway, happens to almost anything on life. Where money is, there always be crowds, once the money ends, crowd will move to other place. More files, even not top notch, means more money to Envato. Nothing wrong with it.

That’s true, but that’s EXACTLY when the standard should be increased insanely high. And with high I mean HIGH . That would keep things afloat, and if not infinitely, at least for a longer period of time.

159 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

This.

It will be very interesting to learn why the quality bar was lowered in the first place. Was it Envato felt that it discouraged new authors with the high standards and they were thinking that with no “new blood” the marketplaces will die ? Or they just went for quantity over quality trying to get more cash ?

1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

Nothing lasts forever. ActiveDen was a fantastic place to make money, many people did and later we all know what happened; for all those who thinks TF will bring them infinite money-time, be ready for surprises. Nothing new, anyway, happens to almost anything on life. Where money is, there always be crowds, once the money ends, crowd will move to other place. More files, even not top notch, means more money to Envato. Nothing wrong with it.
We all know that, I don’t think that anyone here imagine doing WordPress themes for next 20-30 years ;) But there’s long time before someone will say that WordPress is dead (like Steve Jobs said about flash) and ThemeForest will end like ActiveDen.

Envato needs to find “golden mean” here.

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
+10 more
contempoinc says

ActiveDen has died because Flash is dying or is already dead, IMO

by
by
by
by
by
by