828 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
uziiuzair says

Hey guys

Recently, I was planning on starting my own server, as I do not feel safe on shared hosting.

I have some of the things ready, a static IP a good internet package With a speed of 80mbps.

I have an i7 computer running ubuntu as well.

But the thing is, I have no experience in hosting my own server plus I’m not sure of what software to use, Ubuntu Server or Ubuntu Cloud.

the server would be for a project I’m working on not for hosting a website.

84 posts
    Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Europe Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
djariss says

I’m using dedicated server, you can install you own server with ISPConfig control panel, this panel is good and it’s free.

There is also nice website offering tutorials on how to install your own server with Ubuntu+LAMP+ISPConfig panel, more at www.howtoforge.com

Hope this could help you to decide.

:)

828 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
uziiuzair says

Thanks for the link :D
Is an internet speed of 80mbps fast enough?

84 posts
    Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Europe Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
djariss says

Yes, that speed is enough, but the questions stands, is it flat rate or you got some monthly bandwidth in Gb/Tb?

27 posts
    Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Located in United Kingdom Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ThorneMedia says

Uziiuzair, from your initial statement you said you do not feel safe on shared hosting are you able to explain why? There is many professional hosts out there that do a fantastic job and at very little cost.

In your second paragraph you said you do not know anything about hosting or the software, this would ring alarm bells that you would be far far more unsafe hosting yourself than on somewhere (shared/vps etc) from a company who know what they are doing.

I’m not attempting to put you off, as i ran a hosting company for near 8 years and there was lots to learn. I just want you to be able to see the whole picture.

Also bare in mind, if you have a hardware failure/power cut/loss of connectivity your websites will be offline.

What I would suggest before you jump in and dedicate a whole pc to it. Download something like VMWare Player, and setup a small VPS with a range of OS and Software options to test, get to know and learn.

For example: CentOS (Free) + Webmin/Virtumin (Free) CentOS (Free) + cPanel (monthly licence) CentOS (Free) + Plesk (monthly licence) Ubuntu (Free) + ZPanel

etc etc, There is many combo’s out there to try and test. Before jumping in i would definitely recommend trying them first. Some like Plesk/CPanel will automatically install all the required features, others will require manual installation of items such as mysql.

Also something to think about is your DNS and how you would go about managing that. E.g. Nameservers.

828 posts
+4 more
uziiuzair says

@ThorneMedia, Thanks for the help,

The thing is, I am going to start work on a very sensitive project, Which I would not want on a shared or dedicated hosting.

As I mentioned in the last paragraph, This would not be used for a commercially hosting a website. And only for this project for which I have developers in a few countries (friends), who would be helping me.

About the Nameservers, I myself have not thought about it yet. I would be using a domain from GoDaddy, Static IP from my Internet Provider, and the rest is all configurations I believe.

Other than that, I would be using the link @djriss suggested to me.

(For some reason I feel like I have no clue what’s going on here :| )

by
by
by
by
by
by