Personally Supplying Files Higher than 16bit/44.1k to End Users after Purchase - Possible?

131 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Taiwan
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

Offbeat question here…

Since AJ doesn’t offer higher sample rates and bit depths than 16bit 44.1k, would it be possible for me to offer them to the purchaser(s) AFTER they purchase from AJ?

Meaning, say someone wants to purchase a sound effect from me here at AJ. In the description, I offer to personally supply something higher than the 16bit 44.1k file AFTER they have purchased from AJ – say a 24bit 96k file. All of this on my time and dime.

Is this possible?

My guess is “no” it’s not possible, but I’m curious as to why it wouldn’t be. Aside from us not knowing who has bought from us, (that I’m sure they could provide proof of purchase) for what other reason(s) would this not work?

Thanks for your comments

700 posts
  • Located in Poland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

Why not possible?:) If client asks for another format it shouldn’t be banned. Frankly it didn’t happen to me at any stockplace.

80 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Headlane says

Very interesting question. Only with proofs probably there can be problems 8-)

3213 posts Point. Counterpoint.
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+14 more
ADG3studios Envato team says

Yes, as a freelancer, you are allowed to work on edits or customization. Whether you charge a fee for additional work is up to you. If that means that the buyer requests delivery in 24bit or other format, then it’s at your discretion to send it that way, as long as you know the item has been purchased.

Like fxprosound though, you may find that the requests are not frequent. But hey, if it quells any qualms, rest easy knowing that you can. :)

2118 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

@buddhabeats as others already pointed out, yes, you can do many things after somebody purchased your item. If you aren’t exclusive author, you have even more options. But also as others pointed out, you might not get request for higher quality sounds as often as you think. I’ve sold a few thousands of sfx so far and guess how many requests for higher quality files… none :)

Some other authors also suggested some time ago that mono files should be allowed as well, as many games demand as small files as possible and mobile phones usually don’t have stereo system on them. I’m mentioning this only to point out that higher quality is not always so necessary, but on contrary. So many possible applications, so many potentially different demands – that’s why AudioJungle decided to “standardize” upload requirements and don’t consider changing them.

131 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Taiwan
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

Hey, great to know. Thanks for the replies.

@urbazon Good point, but one has to wonder, if you wrote in every description that you would be happy to provide higher quality, how many requests might you have had? Food for thought. :)

2118 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Hey, great to know. Thanks for the replies. @urbazon Good point, but one has to wonder, if you wrote in every description that you would be happy to provide higher quality, how many requests might you have had? Food for thought. :)

True. But on the other hand, I might’ve just gotten those requests only because they can get those files for the same price, not because they really need them, right? This way, if they needed them, they might’ve asked. ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by