23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
authorandrew says

I just recently had a Blogger template rejected, namely, my new template Pharetra:

http://pharetra-demo.blogspot.com/

I submitted the file and literally (I timed it) five minutes later received a rejection. This tells me the reviewer didn’t even look carefully at my template and really upsets me.

Well, I’m not going to give up – what do you see above that could be improved? I’m going for a focus on minimalism and open space to breathe, but more and more I’m convinced that my brand of minimalism is just incomplete design.

But I want to know: what can be improved in this template? I’m open to any and all suggestions.

AA

607 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a blog post
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

Hey Andrew,

Quick note—if a design is not upto par, we reject right away. There’s no point in doing a full review if the design fails since design is one of the pillars of any best selling template.

And honestly, I believe that five minutes is sufficient to gauge a design’s quality and come to a conclusion as to reject or approve and if whether any specific feedback needs to be given.

I’m not entirely sure as to what the reason for this complaint is. That I only took 300 seconds to review a design? ;)

23 posts
authorandrew says

Siddharth, while the complaint is a part of this post, I’m mainly asking for feedback. I disagree with you about assessing a design, but let’s keep this on topic, shall we?

Andrew

22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
BlackInkDigital says

I agree with the assessment as I don’t think it currently lives up to standards.

However I’m unsure what critisms to give you. Yellow is a very very difficult color scheme to pull off in a website. To be honest i’m not entirely sure what I would do to it.

I apologize that my reply is in no way helpful to you.

23 posts
authorandrew says

@Black-Ink-Digital: That’s OK, thanks for your feedback :) (The yellow was intentional – in addition to being hard to pull off it’s underused)

One of the things I feel I struggle with is typography – how is that in this template? I’m considering trying to update the entire thing to serif typefaces – they are more professional

So, basically – since nothing can be done to have this template improve, but it still falls short, I should shelve it and swallow the loss of all my work?

AA

10 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+2 more
alpercankaya says

authorandrew I apologize but my advice is start to a new theme. Continiue to make this theme better would be a waste of time. I don’t think it currently lives up to standards too. Maybe you dont like that senteces but for your own good

147 posts Designer & Developer
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
Webbu says

authorandrew I apologize but my advice is start to a new theme. Continiue to make this theme better would be a waste of time. I don’t think it currently lives up to standards too. Maybe you dont like that senteces but for your own good
+1 Throw that template to garbage . Sorry..
123 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Tsoy says

+1 Throw that template to garbage . Sorry..
+1
1496 posts LoveThemes
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
LoveThemes says

I’m with everyone else.

This design is waaay below par, it’s basic, elements don’t align, the background image is cut off on large screens when it should scale accordingly, the type, hierarchy and vertical rhythm are a mess.

This is the cold hard truth, go back to the drawing board and learn more about design in general before giving it another go.

Scott

by
by
by
by
by
by