79 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Croatia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
Markic says

I’m planning to release my first themeforest theme and right now I’m searching for photos to put on my demo site. Now, I don’t plan to share that content from demo site with buyers or sell that content directly, it’s just there to show the capabilities of my theme. Do I need to have “for commercial use” licenced photos, or can I use the same ones pinterest & tumbler users repost without naming the source (because no one really knows what the source is anymore)?

108 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
Vlajki says

You are required to have either an appropriate license for the photos you use or a permission of the author(s) of photos you use in your demo. There are many free sources on the web, but if you prefer photos of a certain photographer/designer/illustrator, it is best to contact them directly and ask for a permission.

79 posts
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
Markic says

Ok, tnx for answer. I have 2 more questions:

1. what about videos? Can I share anything from Youtube or Vimeo that doesn’t belong to some official account (tv networks or music artists)?

2. what about private photos of branded goods? Many demo sites have pictures of iPhones? Can I use photos from sport events or pics of goods from stores?

16 posts
  • United States
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeMints says

Use this Tool to find commercial photos to use in your demo.

I believe it’s allowed to use videos from Vimeo & Youtube without permission as long as you link back the owner of the video.

You can’t use anything that branded without permission.

Same goes for Photos of actors & actress which are not allowed on the marketplace!

Cheers

79 posts
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
Markic says

25 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Pakistan
Ornlu says

It might sound bad but AFAIK it’s your own server so you’re free to use copyrighted images at your own risk. I’ve also seen some authors here do that.

You can give a better experience to your customers by using properly licensed ones and including them with the theme though. PhotoDune is pretty cheap and there are also sites like Upstart.com.

by
by
by
by
by
by