• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
mad_dog says

Great article. I have a huge experience in flash, and all my customers were photographers, it was really easy to create an interactive and attractive web site in flash. Now I’m working with wordpress and it is really pain in the a… The thing is that most of the cool sliders, menus, custom scrollers, effects etc are based on javascript when you have the final version you get one big problem: performance and slow loading :( you can’t do anything with that at the moment. The only solution is the simplicity in the design and functionality… but the customers want more…

14 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • South Africa
  • Exclusive Author
Kyrelimit says

@Mad Dog -

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The balance between flashy JS and fast loading times is a tricky one. However, unless I am mistaken, having JUST a gallery that is a nice JS slider ( similar to the www.jhangjinja.com one ) surely would not take up as much loading time ?

Those one-page JS sites for example is way too much. And even the one I love so much, could literally open a page with that Horizontal Slider ( being the only thing JS ) with everything else HTML/CSS.

Little moves are wonderful but not at the expense that you’re too busy watching the site to notice the work.

So for example – Your J.Doe Responsive Theme.

Love all the functionality, but removing the Full screen and Side-screen Gallery JS, along with the image loader bar at the bottom would make a huge difference. Replace that gallery with a slider of some sorts and It would be way more practical.

Same with your HQ one.

I love it and it loads quickly, but the gallery is just not feasible. Its the only thing holding it back from being akin to those top-end flash sites. Even with the power of Flash, those sites are basic and simple and quick.

Another thing to keep in mind is that natively – most people are viewing at 16:9 or 1920×1080 . Did you know your average photo’s aspect ration is 8×10 ? So 1920×1080 ( screen ) VS 2000×1600 (photo, if you flip it )

See the problem ?

I love your work Mad_dog, and have bought two of your themes before. I hope this might help you and that Ill be buying more from you in the future. :)

214 posts Mad Dog
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
mad_dog says

Thanks a lot, I do always find the ways to improve my themes. It is really hard to cover all the customers needs but there should be a basic functionality that all the photographers use.

Yes, I see the problem, working on my new concept photography theme, will take your suggestions into consideration. Big thanks.

6 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sweden
cyberzorro says

Hi there! I’m a big fan of this community and I also have bought some templates in the past (during the flash-era I must admit..). Now there are new times, flash is dead and responsive html5 templates are the thing. I browse through new html5 and WP-templates on themeforest almost every day and most of the time I’m not amused at all. During the flash -era you could really find some great, unique and creative web design on activeden. Why don’t I find this creativity here on themeforest? Is it more difficult to make good web design with html5 /css3 then with flash technique? I’m a photographer and my present website is in flash, since more then a year I’m trying to find a responsive html5 template to showcase my portfolio. It’s impossible.. One question I’m asking myself over and over again, why must every template use Lightbox? A window popping up in the middle of the screen and destroying the whole design? This does not look professional at all. To all of you creative web designers out there – DON’T INTEGREATE LIGHTBOX IN YOUR WEB DESIGN when trying to make a photography portfolio. It’s most boring and ugly invention since the computer was invented some 30 years ago! Why not try to integrate a nice responsive thumbnail gallery (Royal Slider, javascript etc.) in the design for once, no f-n pop-up window! I would gladly pay some 100-200 USD or even more for a creative responsive html5-template (NOT WORDPRESS!!) and I don’t think I’m alone. I am sure there are many frustrated photographers out there trying to find a great template to showcase there work, but there isn’t any to be found right now on themeforest! And you are supposed to be the best! The money I’m willing to spend is not enough to have a unique template made for me, I’m well aware of that. But hey guys, for you I think this should be a good deal. I recently browsed the new website of group94, a great belgian web design company that used to be world leading in creating great flash sites for photographers. They also switched to html5-technique recently and I found a really smooth and creative website in their portfolio (www.yangrutherford.com). I know it’s not a photographers portfolio but anyway. This site has class! Check it out and get inspired!

Best,

1950 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

@cyberzorro

Well the thing is that with flash you can do so much more and things loaded way faster. I try to come up with some creative themes, i am an ex flasher so i try to deliver some interactive parts and also some cool js animations. It’s not that it’s harder to do stuff in html because javascript has come a long way. I see a lot of templates that look very similar to one another so this is why i try to do my own thing maybe this is why i do not get as many sales as some other authors but i hate doing something i do not like. So i rather have something that does not sell a 1000 times but my customers love their files. I mean i try to add as much possible to all my templates to have many options but they can also be used as a minimal design meaning customers don’t have to use all the options if they do not want, but again the options are there.

I am not saying i would not love to have a 1000 sales but I have to like what i produce I made many templates similar layouts that other authors use but at the end when i finish the file i do not like it anymore so most of the time it ends up being scrapped. When you are using for example the 960 layout you are very limited on stuff you can do. I am not saying you are not able to do great stuff but for me i cannot achieve the same feel about the template or what i am trying to produce, know what i mean.

I mean all of the above that was mentioned is great coming from photographers because we try to cater to all professions but photography is a tricky one because each photographer has different tastes just like us developers. So it’s kinda hard to find that happy medium that everyone is satisfied with.

Cheers

Lester

18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
94themes says

” And the Ken Burns Dramatic Zoom ? For.The.Love.Of.All.That.Is.Good.PLEASE.No.”

Haha, this is so true. I wonder who ever came up with that, it’s terrible.

Thanks for the advise. I’m currently designing a portfolio-page, and will definitely keep these thing in mind.

1950 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

Hehe, Ken Burns is cool. I just like to add a lot of options.

Cheers

Lester

1840 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

A really good post, you have a taste for themes, wish more buyers would be so decisive and picky.

One more thing, an amateur Photography Advice from a Themer:

Dont give pseudo creative names to your photos, makes them look cheaper :)

900 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

Damn good post. I was about to start creating a photography website so your post is bookmarked and will take it greatly into consideration. Thanks for that, it really means a lot hearing what buyers want – it does good for both.

1433 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
webdesignerart says

Why @Kyrelimit writing too much :P Please describe in shot.

by
by
by
by
by
by