1122 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Switzerland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
SonicCube says

Hello All

I created a few PS 3D Mockups recently for Graphicriver. This Mockups containing :

• real modeled 3D product than be rotated free in space (can be exported again from PS as obj.)
  • all textures, UV maps and Materials used in the preview examples
  • complete editable studio setup with Cyclorama, lights, enviroment reflection HDRI etc.
  • example product labels as seen in the preview

A 2D Mockup is a static picture with a smart object simulating the rendering of the texture/design onto the product. No light settings, rotations, angles, shadows, reflections can be changed.

my question :

Are reviewers aware of which possibilities a PS 3D file delivers for a customer ? Should they not be priced a little higher than a static 2D Mockup ?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, i will contact support according to your answers.

43 posts
  • Located in Italy
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
chrisworks says

I see your point, but pricing is a tricky issue here. You’re complaining about your items price, but you’ll never know what impact it would have had a higher price on your overall sales. Maybe it’d be different from what you’re thinking.

I think a low pricing helps in the early stages of item’s life though an higher price can produce higher revenue after a while if the item has gained some popularity.

61 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
blueline3d says

I had big problems even getting my file approved ( Business Card 3D Mock-Up Pack No.1 ) . At one point reviewer even suggested that i improve my image render quality :) exact words was” Unfortunately the issue with your mock-up is that the quality of the render is not up to our standards” , even do i stated in the help file ( and on the description page) that it was a ps 3d file and that it needs rendering ( minimum of 5 passes ). My messaging with the reviewer in question, on the support ticket could be printed on 2-3 A4 pages :). He even wrote ” “we already have many many similar items in the marketplace ”. To this day i didn’t saw a PS 3D business card mockup that is even similar to my design. I have a filling that a lot of users don’t even know and understand the amount of possibilities that PS 3D file is giving to them.

1122 posts
  • Located in Switzerland
+8 more
SonicCube says

A lot of users don’t even know and understand the amount of possibilities that PS 3D file is giving to them.

Thats exactly why i opened this Thread. My feeling is, that not even all of the reviewers are aware of the 3D possibilities Photoshop provides. It’s basically allmost a 3D Render application (just without being able to model items). So for me, a good 3D PS Mockup is like 2-3 days of work and delivers a highly editable file for customers. $6 is just not worth the work for me :( I even created a Youtube video with a demonstration what can be done with these kind of PS files, bit i might not be able to post that here due to self promotion issues.

Anyone else with experiences on 3D PS files for Envato ?

114 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Teo_nikif says

Hi guys,

I create 2d mockups based on 3d objects I create and then render. A similar problem I had it that the photorealistic mockups with multiple views included with everything isolated and customizable were priced as simple renders.

At one point reviewer even suggested that i improve my image render quality :) exact words was” Unfortunately the issue with your mock-up is that the quality of the render is not up to our standards”

The example about the reviewer you mentioned reminds me an author once told me that “the reviewers here in GR can’t even design their way out a paperbag” I guess that was the case ;) . I think they should definitely get a price increase compared to 2d mockups. Good luck to you.

27 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Slovakia
+2 more
hrivis says

On one hand thats good you can rotate object. On the other hand quality of Photoshop renderer is far way to renderers like V-ray, Mental-ray, Maxwell etc.

19 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+2 more
alexandercho says

On one hand thats good you can rotate object. On the other hand quality of Photoshop renderer is far way to renderers like V-ray, Mental-ray, Maxwell etc.
yeah…and for that reason some artists make renders from multiple angles :))
475 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
LuisFaus says

There is of course a market out there for this advanced Photoshop featurette.

However from my point of view is far less known than the 2D smart object.

Now, educating the potential customers about this is quite a harsh task, specially when some of this potential buyers don’t have the time to learn nor have the patience to do or even read the help files. And I think that is why the 2D Smart objects are far more popular, in 3 easy steps the client has a photorealistc approach of a logo/product without spending a cent on manufacturing to show to potential investors.

It perhaps should be a new sub-category included as advanced product mock ups and regular product mock-ups. But agree that for those advanced the price should be higher, since it requires both the author having a higher level of expertise, and the client having a higher knowledge of Photoshop.

141 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Sealord says

However from my point of view is far less known than the 2D smart object. Now, educating the potential customers about this is quite a harsh task, specially when some of this potential buyers don’t have the time to learn nor have the patience to do or even read the help files.

And the 3D feature is only available in the extended version of Photoshop, but many customers have only the standard version. I had a customers who brought one of my PSD 3D objects here and then he could not process it because he lacks of the extended version. In the item-description I have specially pointed out that the extended version is needed but description or helpfiles are sometimes not read. It would be better Envato had a special subcategory for Adobe Photoshop Extended 3D files to make it more clearer for the customer what version he needs.

1122 posts
  • Located in Switzerland
+8 more
SonicCube says

It would be better Envato had a special subcategory for Adobe Photoshop Extended 3D files to make it more clearer for the customer what version he needs.

WORD !

And I think that is why the 2D Smart objects are far more popular, in 3 easy steps the client has a photorealistc approach of a logo/product without spending a cent on manufacturing to show to potential investors.

It is as easy as working with smartobject. Basically, the textures (designs) that will render onto the products are smart objects as well. 3 Steps : Open the texture layer, edit your design, render rhe final picture. Basic 3 knowledge is only needed if you want to rotate the objects, but even this is done simply by orbiting your object with the mouse in 3D space.

I personaly prefere 3D Mockups as often the 2D ones have not the view / angle i need to present the item from all sides etc.

by
by
by
by
by
by