343 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
JackHowell says

Having an absolute nightmare today with Photoshop CS5 on Windows 7. Apparently it is supposed to be OSX which suffers from CS5 performance problems but since being upgraded from CS3 today it’s just gone from bad to worse.

Argh. Stress. This is also my machine at work so eventually it will get looked at by others but I have tried everything and exhausted every search with no luck;

Main issue is that the redraw is terrible – I make a change and no matter what it is it will take a second to update. Eg; change font size, move a path point, nudge a layer – all take a second to update. A bit like the History palette is lagging. This only applies to large documents (eg website designs) and not fresh designs. Even if I have a few large documents open I can work on a new design with no lag.

Second issue is that Smart Objects now become pixelated when edited and re-saved (doubled click S.O., tweak, save). Existing Smart Objects are unaffected until they are edited.

I’ve changed every performance setting (tile size, cache, ram etc), followed every guide (even the Mac ones) and tweaked everything I know about.

I’m running;

Windows 7 Pro 64bit (latest update), AMD Athlon 2.7ghz Dual Core, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (drivers 2 weeks old) Edit: Dxdiag actually says they are a year out of date…

This machine was also hardware stressed tested and past OK (tested due to a network problem – turns out the net card is running lame).

I’m looking for some golden setting, something I’ve missed – maybe even a hidden preference setting that needs to be edited? Must be something?? Surely someone else has had this happen too. Any help really appreciated.

178 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
JinWook says

Yeah I’ve noticed a fairly large performance decrease, but nothing that serious. I’m still using XP, no hurry to change. If I work on a large document for about an hour it starts lagging to hell. Theres actually a delay drawing a path with the pen tool. I just close photoshop and reopen it and it runs smoothly again. I believe this has to do with the cache size. If your physically memory cannot handle all the algorithms that are begin processed then Photoshop creates a temporary cache file in which it stores data per session. When you reopen Photoshop it creates a new chache file.

Don’t know what’s going on with your smart objects.

Have you tried turning 3D acceleration off. It’s possibly a graphics card issue. CS5 uses the GFX far more than in previous versions.

343 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
JackHowell says

Hmmm, seems logical that after a while it will start to slow down – I think that is the Windows tag-line written on the shelf box. Problem is it seems to get better after a while – it’s just initially it seems to be terribly laggy.

Might have a crack at the “warmup” scripts to see if that helps (though that is supposed to help document loading not actual processing).

Little more info on the Smart Objects; CS5 created smart objects don’t pixelate; only objects created in CS3 then edited in CS5 appear to pixelate when resized. So… wtf Photoshop? Forward compatibility issues??

178 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
JinWook says

I dunno that sounds foreign to me. Sorry I can’t help more man.

3135 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

Hey guys!

My laptop has a similar configuration as yours and I have no problems at all. My specs are:

Windows 7, 64 bits

6GB Ram, Intel Core 2, 2.7Ghz

When I have problems is whenever I use After Effects but that is obviously.

by
by
by
by
by
by