284 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Shellbot says

I’ve been trying to figure this out for about 2 hours, Google is no help, it cannot possibly be complicated but nevertheless, I need help.

All I’m trying to do is create a shape, ie the black rectangle, and fill it with an elliptical gradient that doesn’t extend outside the aforementioned shape, ie the ugly orange jazz. PS doesn’t seem to have elliptical gradients so I guess what I’m really asking is how to cheat and make something that looks like one.

I used to be a big Photoshop user but it’s so unbelievably unintuitive that every time I leave it for a month I have to relearn how to do everything again. Any help would be extremely…helpful.

p.s. Can you really not cut and paste in PS? Really?

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

Make sure the rectangle and gradient are on different layers.

ctrl+click the rectangle layer, this loads the rectangle selection. Command+shift+i to invert the selection. Select the elliptical gradient layer and hit delete or cut using ctrl+x.

Copy/pasting is possible, it just depends on the type of element and what exactly it is you are trying to do.

Another method of doing this is to load up the rectangle selection as I mentioned above, then hit the mask icon in the layer palette (while on the elliptical layer) to mask out the shape.

Creating elliptical shapes in PS can be done by using the radial gradient tool and then hitting ctrl+t to transform the shape.

Otherwise use the ellips tool, rasterize it and feather

Otherwise use the ellips tool, fill it with a gradient fill that extends to transparent.

There are a ton of ways to do anything in PS, the first one is the easiest.

284 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Shellbot says
Creating elliptical shapes in PS can be done by using the radial gradient tool and then hitting ctrl+t to transform the shape.

Why didn’t I think of that?! All tons of help, thankyou so much. There will be no murdering here :)

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

Since gradients are generally blurry you don’t have to worry about distorting them

What I do though, is to use a soft elliptical brush. Then tweak it if necessary.

2241 posts Digital Artist
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+11 more
crozer says
PS doesn’t seem to have elliptical gradients..

Made this little mock-up for you; hope it helps.

by
by
by
by
by
by