353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

I don’t have Photoshop so maybe this is a stupid question.

When you create something like a logo, button or background slice, why wouldn’t you just create the image to be used on the web page at the same time instead of creating the logo, button, etc, in the PSD , then later slicing it up into images for the web and then using it?

I have never understood why this is not usually done.

Al

369 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
ibib says

A coder could answer your question. My guess is it loads faster in the browser.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

Umm…can you rephrase that please? Not sure I really understand what you’re trying to ask.

You don’t know how the final design will be until you need to make it all from scratch usually in Photoshop..and for that you need to have all the design elements together to see how they fit, modify if needed and so on.

Maybe I understood it incorrectly, but you asked why we don’t design items separately?

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+6 more
PixelBin says

Your question is quite unclear but from my understanding, you mean why not just save it as a huge image that has all the text/graphics?

Uhm, that would be ridiculously stupid? First of all, it would take forever to load. Second of all, it would be a pain in the ass to modify it. Third of all, how would you be able to click on anything? There are dozens of reasons why. Feel free to ask if you want me to list them all; I can think of plenty!

Just not a good way to go about it.

382 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

I think he’s asking why designers don’t just create the individual elements on-the-fly, such as buttons, logos, etc., but instead design a full ‘mockup’ for the entire site, and then go back later and slice it up.

I’d say the reason for that is because it’s much easier (and faster) to layout a site in Photoshop, as opposed to doing it directly in HTML . Additionally, it allows the author to get a better feel/sense for the design as a whole, and make sure all of the elements work together design- and usability-wise. And finally, it’s helpful to be able to give a mockup to the site’s client to review, and much easier to make changes in the design stage through Photoshop.

Or was I completely off? :)

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+6 more
PixelBin says

Why do we even try… some people can’t even get their question across yet they expect help.

426 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
vasilios says

Let’s say you want to change the background gradient of the header section of your website. Would you rather:

a) Create a new image, fill it with a solid color and apply a gradient through layer styles and do trial and error until you get the colors just right?

or

b) Change the layer styles of the PSD and slice that section out? This method allows you to see the changes on the “final product”.

Hope that makes a little more sense. :)

353 posts
al_m473 says

blabus, I think you are right on and thanks for the answer.

thanks for the answers and comments from everyone

Al

by
by
by
by
by
by