76 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
o_creative says

Hey,

Are we actually allowed to use PHP for templates in the Site template category?

Thanks!

164 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
tonyc says

I think yes, but moderately. For example a contact form – yes, A template system – no etc.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Yes, you can. But you MUST state that fact in your description. As tonyc said, try to keep it somewhat limited.

322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

yeah and I know that xmdsys used some includes in at least one of his but not sure what the experience was with buyers. I only use PHP for contact forms because I think when the entire site uses the PHP extension it scares people away.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says
yeah and I know that xmdsys used some includes in at least one of his but not sure what the experience was with buyers. I only use PHP for contact forms because I think when the entire site uses the PHP extension it scares people away.

Yeah, I used includes, a config file, PHP based auto-selecting navigation, auto-populating image galleries, etc. in a few of my templates. I mentioned at the bottom of the description that the template required PHP to function properly.

For the most part I didn’t notice PHP making a huge negative impact but I know there were some people that would have bought the template had it strictly been HTML and a few people that did buy the template that were confused when they saw some of the files ended in .php because they didn’t really the full description.

So, my suggestion is that if you want to use PHP in your template for more than your contact form, create two versions of the template. One that is only HTML and the PHP contact form and one that is the PHP version. Mention in your description that there are both versions, etc. I think that seems to help sales.

I try to look at it from the perspective if I were considering buying the template. HTML only and I would be on the fence but if there was a PHP version then I would be much more likely. :-) Probably the opposite for someone who isn’t familiar with PHP .

Oh, and helpful tip! When you submit the template, make sure to mention that one version uses PHP . The first time I submitted a template that used several PHP elements and includes, it was rejected. Mark didn’t know it required PHP to work and I didn’t mention it. No edits, resubmitted and mentioned PHP and it was approved, lol. My mistake, oops! :)

76 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
o_creative says

You can guys must be living in here! Thanks for the fast answers!

Actually, I wanted to use a simple templating system to easy my own job and make editing the templates faster. However, what you say also makes sense. Some people will, for sure, get dazzled about the PHP part so, I’ll better leave it off.

Thanks again!

68 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
rblalock says

What about building a super-simple admin for managing templates? would that be allowed?

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

I would imagine as long as it is really well documented and not too elaborate that it would be fine. If it starts getting into managing the content of it, then you would be getting into a really simple content management system which wouldn’t fit under HTML Templates.

If it’s for changing settings, colors, etc. I would imagine it would be ok. I would highly recommend including a version of the template though that is HTML only (no major PHP ).

We’ll have to see what Jeffrey says though I guess.

24 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
CreativeBoy says

What if TF will make a new section for selling PHP templates? It would be great i think… And all problems will be solved.

by
by
by
by
by
by