2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

We all talked about this not too long ago. The problem is that there are plenty of free scripts around the web. Why pay $3-$5 for one?

I’d be more interested if a specific “snippet” site were created – possibly as a subset of nettuts+ that offered snippets for free.

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
I like the idea but keep in mind that lots of these scripts, plugins, apps, etc. are essentially free around the web. It’s really hard to copyright a basic script too so if someone bought your script, changed it a little and made it available for free then you would loose out.

If they did start selling stuff like this they would probably be in the $1-$8 range tops. A full WordPress theme usually has multiple scripts, plugins, etc. included and those are less than $40.

Plus, the way the web community is right now is more focused on open source. I would rather see a new forum category with some sticky’ed posts that has a library of scripts, plugins, etc. freely available for authors, etc. I think that would really help authors here to build themes/templates with better effects, options, etc.
We all talked about this not too long ago. The problem is that there are plenty of free scripts around the web. Way pay $3-$5 for one? I’d be more interested if a specific “snippet” site were created – possibly as a subset of nettuts+ that offered snippets for free.
I think the difference is quality. Anyone can write some crappy code or offer a script for people to use for free, but it is more difficult to find truly well written and quality code with great functionality.

I have payed for some truly awesome wordpress plugins before and they have always been of much higher quality than anything free.

I really like this idea and want to see it happen.

I guess I take issue with the train of thought that it is ok to charge for premium templates but not for premium code or scripts/plugins. Whats up with that guys?

And just to nitpick here xmdsys, Open Source != Free :D

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

lol, very true. What I meant though was that the web community is very open and sharing of most of the web scripts, code, etc. Most people aren’t going to pay for something they can get for free. Maybe the quality won’t be quite as good as if you paid for it but it won’t be that big of a difference.

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
lol, very true. What I meant though was that the web community is very open and sharing of most of the web scripts, code, etc. Most people aren’t going to pay for something they can get for free. Maybe the quality won’t be quite as good as if you paid for it but it won’t be that big of a difference.
I understood what you meant, just giving you a hard time :D

My reply though would be you could use that very same argument for premium themes but it is untrue. There are so many free themes, especially for wordpress yet the quality just isn’t nearly as good, usually, as the premium themes that cost money. And people purchase premium themes all the time. I think its the same concept thing when it comes to scripts and plugins :)

204 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
parajuli says

I see what you guys mean.. so we can start a good forum, a part of envato…

38 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Westernkings says
I like the idea but keep in mind that lots of these scripts, plugins, apps, etc. are essentially free around the web. It’s really hard to copyright a basic script too so if someone bought your script, changed it a little and made it available for free then you would loose out.

If they did start selling stuff like this they would probably be in the $1-$8 range tops. A full WordPress theme usually has multiple scripts, plugins, etc. included and those are less than $40.

Plus, the way the web community is right now is more focused on open source. I would rather see a new forum category with some sticky’ed posts that has a library of scripts, plugins, etc. freely available for authors, etc. I think that would really help authors here to build themes/templates with better effects, options, etc. :)

Seconded

by
by
by
by
by
by