4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+11 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says
I have used images from morguefile in the past without any issue, I’m sure there is no problem.
@ lukk, nice avatar dude! :D
2114 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
fifty_tons says
I have used images from morguefile in the past without any issue, I’m sure there is no problem.

In your themeforest projects? I’m also interested in an answer from staff :D

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

yes you surely can – http://morguefile.com/license/morguefile/

same license type as some creative commons on flickr that I use, if checked for commercial use (you have to just make sure that you are free remix / adapt / for commercial use and if it wants attribution then you have to state the author – picture name and link to the original file in your documentation. In this case the site wide license states that attribution is not required – but I always would just as a gesture and so that nobody gets confused thinking it is your own work.

It also states – You can not sell, license, sublicense, rent, transfer or distribute this image exactly as it is without alteration.

So you will need to ensure that you DO make some changes to the original image – cropping – altering hues etc just different than the original image in some noticeable way.

When submitting your template in the reviewers notes I clearly state where any images are taken from – license type, image name, author name and link to original file plus let them know the same details are in the help file.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

ok, i’ve just got an official “yes, we can”
so let’s see some new stuff on previews

529 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+8 more
AmandaHackwith says

It appears I missed this earlier—apologies. Using files from Morguefile should be ok, provided:

-You follow the license requirements (“You can not sell, license, sublicense, rent, transfer or distribute this image exactly as it is without alteration.”) and modify the images with creative input.

-If there’s an identifiable human being in the image, be prepared to answer questions about model releases. I don’t know if morguefile includes that information with their files or not, but it’s always a concern with publicly donated stock photography. If you want to avoid this, use photos with no identifiable people.

-And, as always, provide the reviewers with all the information you can in the Notes to Reviewers. That helps! :)

I’ve said this for a while, but there are plans in the works to simplify how authors can use outside stock resources in their files. It’s not ready yet—but we’re working on it!

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Morguefile = worst name for a stock image resource ever. Seriously… I’ve never understood the title for that site. I always envision pics of dead people when I hear about it. Their motto, “Where Photo Reference Lives” is almost comical… except I’m never sure if it’s supposed to be a joke or not. :) Anyone know the origins of the name?

Any images that are “open source”, GPL or otherwise (such as creative commons) are free to use so long as you abide by the licensing attached to each individual image. If you’re unsure, your best bet is to stick with the FD Assets library. The key here is to do your research; this blog post by Jarel is a good start – http://blog.themeforest.net/resources/photos-images-and-icon-resources/

537 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
Hein says

Hey guys, here’s a fresh one for you previews.

http://www.photorack.net/index.php

7381 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says
Morguefile = worst name for a stock image resource ever. Seriously… I’ve never understood the title for that site. I always envision pics of dead people when I hear about it. Their motto, “Where Photo Reference Lives” is almost comical… except I’m never sure if it’s supposed to be a joke or not. :) Anyone know the origins of the name?

check wikipedia

by
by
by
by
by
by