517 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
simonswiss says

I just found – thanks to google analytics – a pirate website where i can see many templates from TF (including mine) available for free download.

I’m not going to link the site here since it would make more people download the files for free – but i want to know what the procedure is to take those @ssholes down..

I have opened a ticket on envato support and contacted a few authors which have their template there too, but is there anything else i could do?

Grrrr this makes me so upset, no wonders my sales have dramatically dropped..

1032 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+10 more
Parallelus says

I understand the frustration. This kind of thing used to really get under my skin, but it’s difficult to fight. Some of the things you can do include figuring out who hosts the site and contacting the hosting company with an DMCA. This is usually enough to get the entire website down in 24 hours or less.

Contacting Envato is also the right thing to do. They have staff dedicated to this fight and they will do what they can. I’m sure someone from Envato can fill in some of the details here for me since I don’t really know what happens once they get involved.

1526 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

I know it’s frustrating but sending DMCA is the way to go.

517 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Located in Australia
+5 more
simonswiss says

Yeah, i guess it’s the way to go.. And a few minutes after finding the site, i googled “My_Template_Name Free Download”.. don’t ever do that as it’s depressing!! So many links..

The thing is, most these sites are torrent sites or require some sort of login, or spam popups or any sort of ‘effort’ needed to get to download, but the one i found first just plain displays the templates with a download button that directly downloads the file, effortlessly.

:-(

Anyway, thanks for your feedback!

1216 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

IMHO, we won’t loose any sales because of these pirate websites. People who are downloading from these websites will not pay for our works even if they don’t find a free download link.

People are here to buy our works because they want updates and support and they care about their websites.

Most of these websites are packing our works with [great!!] malicious codes which will harm users files and …

Honestly, I don’t worry about them even if I find my files on them.

66 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Diabolique says

Send DMCA to google, they will remove urls from search engine within few days.

IMHO, we won’t loose any sales because of these pirate websites. People who are downloading from these websites will not pay for our works even if they don’t find a free download link.

Maybe yes, but theme loose uniqueness. What it better for a client, to use a template which is on 150 other websites or use a template which is on 3.000.000.000 other websites?

1526 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

People are here to buy our works because they want updates and support and they care about their websites.

Most of these websites are packing our works with [great!!] malicious codes which will harm users files and …

Honestly, I don’t worry about them even if I find my files on them.

Hi imngm,

I would really like to see the sales rates in a world there doesn’t exist any single warez site.
IMHO it would be very very different.
The thought of “there are only two kinds of people when it comes to stock files , buyers and thieves” is not reflecting the human nature at all.

There are almost 7 billions of different characters in our planet.
Kind Regards,
Bedros

3524 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

What it better for a client, to use a template which is on 150 other websites or use a template which is on 3.000.000.000 other websites?

Then let our clients fight piracy! :D

(sarcasm intended)

+7 more
ImanGM says

Maybe yes, but theme loose uniqueness. What it better for a client, to use a template which is on 150 other websites or use a template which is on 3.000.000.000 other websites?

150 for sure! :) I’m not saying this to ignore them at all. But its not very important for me because our audience are not people who are downloading from pirate sites that are putting malicious codes in their sites.

Honestly I had a customer who bought my theme more than one time because he wanted to use it for another division inside his company. These are our valuable customers and we don’t loose sales because of this pirate sites.

You can find best selling themes on TF in these pirate sites but they are still best selling and are selling even more week after week.

Anyway. I agree too that we should do something about these sites but I still don’t worry about loosing sales because of them.

+7 more
ImanGM says

I would really like to see the sales rates in a world there doesn’t exist any single warez site.

Hey Bedros,

I would really like to see it too. But this is so idealistic. This is something like a world without bad things… ;)

Cheers, Iman

by
by
by
by
by
by