• Australia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Hey folks! One of the tricky things about running ThemeForest is going to be all the photos that we’re going to use in our templates. As you’ll find in the Authoring tutorial, you need to make sure that you use photos from sources that give you an appropriate license.

I thought I would start a sticky thread of places where you can get photos that allow use in templates for resale. Here’s a couple that DO allow:

BigStockPhoto BigStock allows any of their library to be used in web templates. You can check the usage agreement here

iStockPhoto EXTENDED licenses iStock has a special thing where you pay I think it’s 75 credits and you have a different license. Obviously a bit more expensive, but I guess if you MUST have a certain image :-)

Some Free Sites EveryStockPhoto is a good place to look through free stock sites. You have to check the specific usage terms though as many of them don’t permit.

3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
RNVNT says

My favorite:

stock.xchng

It’s been good to me over the years.

Oh, and it’s totally free!

3 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
ewcost says

So if I wanted to just use my own photos on my html template, do I still need to state where and who took the photos? btw, this site is gorgeous! I’m super excited to start using it!

1499 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Yep you can use your own photos. When you upload your files there is a section titled “Comments to Reviewer” just note down that the photos are your own. If you use photos of people’s faces you may need to upload a Model Release form as well. You can grab that from the Authoring Tutorial area I believe.

1 post
Banzaiaap says
My favorite:

stock.xchng

Are you sure they are totally free. I’m sure you can’t use them for commercial resale though :/

3 posts
RNVNT says

It’s on a per image basis. Each image has it’s own restrictions. I’ve found that the majority are fine with commercial use.

11 posts
troy_au says
My favorite:

stock.xchng

Are you sure they are totally free. I’m sure you can’t use them for commercial resale though :/

With stock.xchng you need to get the permission from the photographer for each image you intend to use before you can use them in a template you plan to sell.

While we’re on the subject, when is the Envato stock photo site coming out? :)

308 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
BrianCoyDesign says

BigStockPhoto has some limitations as well such as you have to be 18 years of age in order to agree to their usage rights as well as…

Without a BigStockPhoto Special License, you may not: a. print the photo or image as a poster, postcard, greeting card, on a mug, shirt, hat, mouse pad, art print, painting, calendar, book, or gallery or use the image in screensavers, e-card software, web page builders or other systems where the image is shared or distributed to a number of users.

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/usage.html

It really comes down to making sure you read the terms of use.

Is there a way to place a watermarked image into the files downloaded on sale and include a code or other option for replacing the watermarked image by paying for the images individual liscense for that particular website? Or is that just to hard to monitor?

30 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
jordanpayne says

My favorite stock photography site is of http://www.fotolia.com/ they have a great collection of relatively low prices images. Although the situation is similar with iStockPhoto’s where you can optionally purchase an Extended License or get the photographers permissions first.

27 posts
postream says

http://www.morguefile.com has good free photos, usable for commercial resale

by
by
by
by
by
by