812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
iamthwee says

I was wondering… Given the large collection of google sketchup files under google warehouse…

What’s stopping authors importing objects into their <insert 3D modelling software of choice> changing or cleaning up the mesh, texturing and then submitting as works for sale?

Is this allowed?

1276 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+15 more
ChristineWilde Envato team says

I doubt that would be aloud as it is not 100% your work. I suggest waiting for a reviewers opinion though.

812 posts
iamthwee says

Thanks for the reply Christine… I shall await the reviewer’s opinion.

Also I was wondering… Do you accept models created in blender?

1276 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+15 more
ChristineWilde Envato team says

Yep we do! Also try to supply as many different file types as you can to reach a wider audience. .obj is one of the most universal file types for 3D models.

1113 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
3alisha says

I was wondering… Given the large collection of google sketchup files under google warehouse…

What’s stopping authors importing objects into their <insert 3D modelling software of choice> changing or cleaning up the mesh, texturing and then submitting as works for sale?

Is this allowed?

Hello there ! Well i am pretty sure the reviewers will say that it is not allowed, work should either be completely your own, otherwise, you should have the rights to modify and freely distribute the model.. I doubt the warehouse lets you do that.

Plus, in my honest opinion, it is a waste of time to improve a low quality model. Better create one from scratch.. Sometimes that’s even faster :)

Cheers !

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Carmen says

Hi guys,

Well, technically speaking Google does all models from 3D Warehouse to be re-used (there are some limitations, see here.)

You’d also need to meet our house rules and requirements that your items are your own creation, that is, don’t submit an item that’s entirely someone else’s.

For example, a 3D Warehouse model might be one asset within a larger 3D project, or might be used as a blueprint as a model you create from scratch.. – eg using a model as a blueprint and creating your own from scratch. Also, apparently the general consensus is that there are some quality issues with these tools and models, which might affect whether your item will meet our quality standards.

Hope that helps!

812 posts
iamthwee says

Thanks for looking into this Carmen.

I did trial a quick import, and I noticed most models available for download come as one big .obj file which is pretty useless, from a modelers’ POV .

Best you could do is to then UV unwrap the thing and create textures. But still it wouldn’t be all that useful.

Another thing I noticed, as 3Alisha pointed out, is that the meshes just PLAIN suck. It would take ages to clean up, even with modern clean up mesh scripts. Not worth the effort.

That being said, there are so many useful, common 3D models there, you could use them as a base to create the same one from scratch. In other words, import the thing and basically just trace the thing building each shape as you go along.

In most cases, 3D designers would create jpegs of the front side and top view. And build the model from that. With the obj model already imported you can just use this as a reference.

Sorry, about the tech jargon but the others should understand what I’m saying.

That being said, I haven’t purchased the professional version of Google sketchup, so I’m basing my REVIEW of the meshes purely on a .colladae import. It may be the meshes do have a good topology, if I were to use the professional version of Google Sketchup, but I am doubtful.

In any case, the lack of sales here and possibly an aversion to buy models created solely in blender, which is the only software I got, is enough for me to put this hold.

Thanks

by
by
by
by
by
by