4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
chabarang says

Can somebody tell me how portfolios and galleries are supposed to be used? I am trying to figure out how to use them, but the Anthology documentation doesn’t give me any explanation. I want to use them the way they were intended, and I don’t want to dig a big hole before knowing I’m digging in the right spot. Thanks!

1387 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

Hi chabarang…
Contacted with the author of the theme..?

4 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
chabarang says

Hi chabarang…
Contacted with the author of the theme..?

Yes, but not much help so far. I simply want someone to show me the steps to creating the sample pages and galeries, because I do’t understand what to do. Do you know of anybody who has a really clear tutorial on start to finish setup? Rob

1 post
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
solvberg says

I had to use some time to figure this one out myself. We are using the Anthology theme for my wife’s photo site. It is a beautiful theme, but as you say the portfolio item and categories was a bit confusing. We have to operate three different places to put this puzzle together.

We must create a menu structure where portfolio is one item, which contain sub items for each type of gallery one wants, i.e. Landscape, Abstract, People, etc. Meaning under Landscape all landscape photos should be showed, filtered or categorized on i.e. location or country.

We must create a page with portfolio gallery template for each type of gallery one wants, i.e. Landscape, Abstract, People, etc.

We must create Portfolio Categories to categorize where the picture actually should be shown. Portfolio categories are not the same as post categories. They are separated. One could off course use the same naming structure for both types of categories, but one must understand they are completely separated.

And then we must create the portfolio items, which is the actual picture and and use a category to link it to the gallery and category it should belong to.

I would first start with creating the portfolio categories. This is because that determine what gallery pages we need to create and the menu structure. And understand this is a example to understand how it has been done. How you structure your site, is off course up to you.

First Portfolio category is Landscape. This is the top level. Then create location1 i.e italy. Choose Landscape as parent category. Create more locations as needed. Then create the next top level category which here should be Abstract and People, and give them sub categories as needed.

Then you can actually create all the portfolio items and connect each of them to the sub category they belong.

Then go and create one page for Portfolio if it doesn’t exist. The portfolio must have the portfolio template and all categories which is found further below on the page creation place. Then each main Category, i.e. Landscape, Abstract and People. Each page should just contain a title, choose the portfolio template and further down the which category (the parent category) it belongs to. The sub categories will be shown as filter options. The Landscape page should show Landscape category (Parent or top level for landscape).

Now, finally, we can go and create the menu structure we want to have. Anthology theme makes use of Wordpress custom menus, under Appearance, menus. One can see that the pages that has been created, appears as menu items. Arrange the menu items as you please. To make a submenu, drag the wanted menu item under the main menu, and shift it a bit to the right, and then it should stick there as a sub menu. Under portfolio the menu items Landscape, Abstract and people should appear a bit shifted to the right.

Save every step and go and have a look at how it looks like.

Hope this was a good help. Good luck.

One must first think out what kind of galleries one wants, what categories one wants. Two dimensions or two filters.

by
by
by
by
by
by