86 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
YA says

Here’s a screenshot of my portfolio theme. What improvements can be made? I’m new here and I really want to be the part of the community! Thanks!

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Welcome to the community YA! :)

For your first theme or two I would recommend starting out in a different category. I would probably design for a business in mind and look at some of the top selling business templates here at themeforest.

As far as your portfolio theme, here are a few quick things:

1) I would work on your color usage. Check out http://kuler.adobe.com/ for color scheme ideas.

2) Your elements need better contrast and division.

3) Your typography needs some work. Try not to use all caps unless you have a reason.

Anyway, hope those few things help. Check out http://radiiate.com/2008/12/17/top-100-web-designs-2008/ for some really fantastic designs as well as the fantastic designs that ThemeForest has available. You’ll get a better idea of what people are looking for.

529 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
AmandaHackwith says

I like what you’re going for, here! I especially appreciate the subtle texture and simplicity you’re striving for. I’ll echo much of what xmdsys said. Increase the contrast of the text for readability. Much of the elements float on the page, so I’d use some tactic to delineate.

86 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
YA says

Thanks a lot, xmdsys and AmandaLinder! I’ll try to follow your advice.

403 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

Along with the issues mentioned above, the biggest issue I see is the background. It would be very hard to recreate that in HTML format without having a HUGE background file.

You need to remember that the background will need to be something that can repeat across the page, no matter how wide the screen size is.

by
by
by
by
by
by