• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

I resubmitted it again hoping that the changes were enough (this was pre-Hyperberry’s comments), but it got rejected again with:

1) The template will need many improvements in typography, visual hierarchy, layout and general aesthetics.

2) Right now the template doesn’t offer the level of unique aesthetics necessary to be accepted under ThemeForest’s acceptance guidelines. Please consider viewing our Top Sellers page to get a good sense of the aesthetic level of popular files:http://themeForest.net/page/top_sellers

I’m running out of ideas on what to change :(

340 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
bfintal says

Changed a lot of stuff now.

1. Changed the font to a thicker more compressed Tex Gyre Schola
  2. Added a background image on top of the changeable patterns (can be changed in admin)
  3. Adjusted the page’s background texture
  4. Changed the side decor of the title bar to look more like a ribbon
  5. Changed shadow graphics for the title bar and the bottom of the page to look more realistic
  6. Changed blockquote style
  7. Changed button fonts to sans serif
  8. Minimal spacing on the HRs so that their parts dont look scattered
  9. etc

Tell me what you think!

http://themes.thefirm.gambit.ph/

10 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United Kingdom
Zenk says

The left rounded thing is different from the right one. Also is it too big? Or is that just me.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2691/91983828.png

340 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
bfintal says

The left rounded thing is different from the right one. Also is it too big? Or is that just me.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2691/91983828.png

They are actually the same size but with different highlighting :)

340 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
bfintal says

I was given this http://screencast.com/t/q0LMKARngz

1. There are a few inconsistent spacing/padding issues throughout the template. I’d like you to go over the design with a fine toothed comb and weed out these basic design issues. 2. Overall template typography needs additional refinements and improvements before it will be ready for Theme Forest. 3. Try to make your theme’s design more unique. Adding features, options and styles will help increase your template’s value and increase its ability to be approved. However, a unique design will be a key factor for approval. 4. Even with the current design, a significant increase in the polish of the various aspects of the theme may just swing the decision in your favor. Right now, the design needs better execution.

I’m having a hard time relaying the message to the reviewer that some of the items they are pointing out are changeable in the admin panel…. e.g. They pointed out that the orange button looks bad on the red header, but you can change that into a number of colors in the admin side.

Any suggestions?

143 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
cramdesign says

It is a pretty nice theme as it is. Not spectacular, but I am surprised that it isn’t accepted. Just some thoughts…

1. I am not super crazy about the way the feature banner curls around the white page. It is perfectly straight then does a mega curve to go behind the page… looks kinda cheap. Make the curve simpler.

2. Don’t put “your logo here” it cheapens it.

3. Maybe add a custom font for the headings? Take a look at google font directory.

4. The buttons are out of place for a site called “The Firm”. Make them look like stitched leather or something not glossy web 2.0 which is (hopefully) going out of style anyway.

5. Top and bottom spacing on the featured area should be nearly equal to the left and right.

6. You could use a bit more horizontal space between text columns. For example, the footer, blog column next to sidebar, etc.

Basically, see how far you can carry “The Firm” idea… make it more distinguished. Good luck.

340 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
bfintal says

Hi Cramdesign,

Great comments! I followed your advice. Among the many changes, I removed the curly thing completely, and honestly it looks way better now. I changed the gradients too to make it more lively but not too fancy.

Those headings are actually custom fonts :)

As for the buttons, do you have a link to what you have in mind?

143 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
cramdesign says

Hey,

It is looking better, no doubt. I still thing that you need a little more spacing on the top and bottom of the featured banner… particularly on the home slider.

Buttons… I can’t think of any buttons that I have seen like that already but something in the spirit of this: http://www.webdesignideas.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/leather.jpg

As for the font, it looks so similar to times or georgia, that I am not sure I would bother with cufon, which I don’t like anyway. @fontface or nothing for me.

Look at the contact page… the heading on the left and the heading above the form on the right… they nearly line up, but not quite and they may bit slightly different sizes. For this type of site and certainly for TF, you have to be more precise. Those should exactly line up. Also, look at the second sub heading on the left column. It has the same space above and below it. Since it announces the info to follow, it should be closer to the text following than the text above.

Hopefully this helps some. However, since I have yet to submit my first theme, I am certainly no expert. (I want to, just not yet solid enough with the php theme bits yet… )

340 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
bfintal says

It’s still rejected! http://themes.thefirm.gambit.ph/

This File Did Not Meet Our Criteria