128 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
GeertDD says

This is the first place where I read about required support for IE6 . Why is this nowhere to be found in the documentation? Having a “IE6 Compatible” option when uploading gives you the impression you choose which browsers to support, and the buyer decides whether he needs it. For example, I can imagine IE(6) support for admin templates to be often superfluous.

Anyway, now I am sitting here a day already with a completely finished site template except for the IE compatibility. It sucks and I am getting more frustrated by the hour. Please, do not tell me it is easy. It really is not!

If there was an option to outsource IE support to somebody for 5% of the template sales income, I would do it, sadly enough.

bq We are building a PREMIUM market place. We should deliver the highest possible standards [...] Therefore I can understand the approval requirement of supporting IE6 .

That statement cuts both ways. How can you deliver the highest possible standards when you need to support a browser from the year 2001? Lack of support for CSS selectors like “>”, “+” or attribute selectors forces you to litter your HTML with needless classes. Lack of support for min- and max-width and -height, well actually the normal width and height properties don’t work as expected. Lack of alpha transparency for PNG files, let alone rgba values. Lack of support for the “inherit” value. A CSS :hover pseudo-class which only works on anchors. And then I’m not even talking about all those inexplicable weird little bugs that just happen.

Sorry for the rant. I hope my template will still make it some day soon, but that will need more hours wasted downgrading your own work. Hey, I could wait a year and hope IE6 support won’t be required anymore then. IE7 is worse enough already.

364 posts Onuro
  • Has referred 100+ members
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

Want to tell a story:

A week after I opened this thread; I paid a visit to my father in law last night =)

While at dinner, his laptop was on and a news website was open in the browser. My eyes somehow moved to the browser type: IE6

I asked him why he used that browser, and if he knew how vulnerable his computer it is with that version. He was like “is there even any other browser I can use?

He’s not a computer and internet newbie and owns a very big office products company having a well salling e-commerce website. Even he is unaware of how crappy his browser is.

The story brings us back to my main issue: he and people like him still use that browser because that news website some others still support IE6 .

I mean why? Why being so persistent?

You know I disabled my crazy hit and traffic bringer section (icons and free stuff) on my website to IE6 users-they can’t download a sh@t unless they upgrade their browser- and I so much enjoyed it.

So @GeertDD: I deeply feel you man

364 posts Onuro
+4 more
ThemeKioken says
Just make them usable in IE6 . As long as nothing breaks too much, we’ll accept it. :)

Trust me, we’re all on your side about destroying IE6 . We just have different viewpoints about how to accomplish the task. ;)

That’s really a relief for all of us Jeffrey, thank you =)

But hey even if I make them IE6 compatible, I would want to choose the “No” option on the IE6 compatibility part when uploading lol.

698 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says
A week after I opened this thread; I paid a visit to my father in law last night =)

Congrats.

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

I read an interesting thread on Jonathan Snook’s blog not too long ago. They were debating this exact issues. At one point, a user said (paraphrasing), “Famous bands don’t record for cheap radios, so why should we develop for old browsers?”

The user was dead wrong with that statement. Music engineers DO compensate for these cheap stereos. They factor that into the mixing.

So, if they are doing it…shouldn’t we? At least for maybe another year (max)? I think so.

698 posts
+10 more
segen says
But hey even if I make them IE6 compatible, I would want to choose the “No” option on the IE6 compatibility part when uploading lol.

LOL , we should start that campaign here :)

698 posts
+10 more
segen says
So, if they are doing it…shouldn’t we? At least for maybe another year (max)? I think so.
Reasonable enough. A year max, I’ll take You by the word.
364 posts Onuro
+4 more
ThemeKioken says
Congrats.

Thanks a lot man =)

Yes but our own options are running out as well. I will still support for TF but;

My silly brother just installed vista to my xp-ie6 running laptop without me knowing.

Now I have to install vmware for IE6 tests and make my quad core machine into a slowed clumsy system because of the second OS, or reformat/add second os to my laptop.

Did I mention I hate IE? I do. Anyways, gotta hold tight for a few more months.

LOL , we should start that campaign here :)

Hehe I really would love a “HELL NO” for the IE6 on my theme description :D

698 posts
+10 more
segen says
Now I have to install vmware for IE6 tests and make my quad core machine into a slowed clumsy system because of the second OS, or reformat/add second os to my laptop.

Let us all sing together:

“I will do anything for You, I will do anything for You….” (TF of course)

by
by
by
by
by
by