849 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
Rewroc says

Agree with most of the people. Sad, but right decision.

365 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
OrangeIdea says

My first purchased items was – CSS: Noob to Ninja. It would be very difficult for me to learn without them. Sad.

596 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
MikeMoloney says

Sad news, but does this make room for a vector marketplace? :) Just a thought.

523 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+10 more
Zeplix says

While I can’t say I didn’t see this coming (I’ve made posts guessing at this over a year ago), I must say, I’m quite sad. As one of the authors there, I still made several hundred bucks a month on my tutorials, had set up referrals, link building, and so on. Many many hours spent. I also gotta say, a 1 month notice isn’t a very long time.

Some of the comments over on the blog post are a bit cynical I must say. Almost to the point where you’d say “Lets close down ThemeForest, people can learn to make their own websites on TutsPlus!”

The Marketplace provided a great place for smaller tutorials to be sold (20-40 minutes, for instance), whereas the TutsPlus website is focused on very long (2+ hours) tutorials. Saying that it didn’t really sell would be rubbish too, as I have well over 1000 sales from the Tuts+ Marketplace, and over time have made quite a bit of money.

I find it confusing though, that Envato chooses to outright close the marketplace, instead of simply choosing not to focus/update it anymore. Surely it’s still a revenue source? So far this month, I’ve sold 2 tutorials every single day.

If nothing else, I feel it’s a GREAT shame, that the marketplace closes down LIKE THIS. At the very least, I’d have hoped for something like a “Big BlowOut GoodBye Sale!” with 50% off on everything or something, to at least give the Authors one last revenue boost. Not simply closing it down, with a simple blog post and tiny forum post. In fact, if I hadn’t randomly dropped by the forums today, to have a look at the ThemeForest forums about some coding, I’d have never even heard about it. Not even sending an email out to the Authors there?

434 posts I love the web!
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
htmgarcia says

This is very sad. I read some author’s complains about losing their items published there. I think this will good for Envato (as someone point here), but bad for the authors.

I hope after this, Envato open a CMS Tuts (or at least Joomla Tuts), because without Tutplus the Joomla community would be sad.

3687 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

If nothing else, I feel it’s a GREAT shame, that the marketplace closes down LIKE THIS. At the very least, I’d have hoped for something like a “Big BlowOut GoodBye Sale!” with 50% off on everything or something, to at least give the Authors one last revenue boost. Not simply closing it down, with a simple blog post and tiny forum post. In fact, if I hadn’t randomly dropped by the forums today, to have a look at the ThemeForest forums about some coding, I’d have never even heard about it. Not even sending an email out to the Authors there?

I guess they feel closing a marketplace is bad publicity, so they’re keeping it as quiet as possible.

3748 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

The funny thing is that Tut+ gets more sales than ActiveDen.
Guessing which is next…

Also, 3 or the 5 top authors on Tut+ are in-house. Curious decission, as almost 60% of sales incomes has returned 100% to Envato.

747 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
+7 more
EladChai says

http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/closing-the-tuts-marketplace/86792

that’s on graphicriver.

we don’t go there :zipped:

LMFAO… :D:D TF boy :P

523 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+10 more
Zeplix says

The funny thing is that Tut+ gets more sales than ActiveDen.
Guessing which is next…

Or 3DOcean? Honestly, I don’t think it’s a matter of sales, I think it’s that Envato would prefer not to have “competing products” so to speak. I understand that, it’s a fair enough business descision, but it’s still really bad news for all the authors there (personally I’ll be losing out on about $400-$600 a month, and all I get is a forum post?).

This is very sad. I read some author’s complains about losing their items published there. I think this will good for Envato (as someone point here), but bad for the authors. I hope after this, Envato open a CMS Tuts (or at least Joomla Tuts), because without Tutplus the Joomla community would be sad.

The first part of your post pretty much sums up the situation. The second part… well, you could be lucky and get some tutorials in the Tutsplus site I suppose!

I guess they feel closing a marketplace is bad publicity, so they’re keeping it as quiet as possible.

While being incredibly rude to all the authors, yes.

3687 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

While being incredibly rude to all the authors, yes.

Sure, I wasn’t defending them at all.

by
by
by
by
by
by