197 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

I think having a theme in the popular file page of the week is getting harder and harder these days.

One reason is obviously the fierce competition, wich is absolutely fine.

Something is wrong though …

Sales for the weeks starts Sunday morning 8am (eastern). Now no themes are being reviewed on weekends and rarely on Monday.

They are usually all approved on Tuesday morning, wich make it 2 days past the start of the week so, themes already in the popular list have a full 7 days of sales for the spot, while new themes have 5 days .. with almost no visibility.

What do you guys think?

197 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

And btw, I know every theme up there probably had only 5 days too, I’m aware of this.

I just wanted to know what you guys were thinking about it.

34 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
defonic says

Personally I think Envato should consider changing the whole homepage layout itself. Some may not agree but I think designers are spending more time designing a catchy thumbnail then anything.

894 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
infuse01 says

+1

I would also suggest a new homepage layout. I have something like a fullscreen grid-based layout site in mind which adapts to the various screensizes which are used nowadays to browse on the marketplaces, showing all items dynamically. The Main Section should be splitted in “Popular Items” (based on ratings) “Featured Items” (more than a few items) and “Newly Added Items” as some sort of infinite scroll (scrolling down automatically loads a new bunch of items).

Users can have his/her own little space for some user related contents like “items from bookmarked authors” (as it is now on the homepage) and can interact with the layout – choose a sorting, choose a layout preset (like on the category pages, but it gets saved). Maybe also some additional widgets would be awesome which the user can drag and drop to their likings – for regular buyers this could be really helpful (show items from category xy, show items from author xy, show bargains, show recently updated items, an item news ticker (item xy has been updated, author xy has released a new item)).

I’m sure with the right design/ui team it would be possible to have such a homepage without too much fancy stuff which would hurt on the eyes. And just in case, I would create such a design for them ;-)

5 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Luismruiz says

As a regular buyer I would mostly welcome a redesign. It gets hard sometimes to find the item I want and the time I spend searching keeps increasing. I would suggest easier navigation and previews to improve the user experience. Envato has always been a leader in creative marketplaces, just switched to Ruby I think is time now for some ux improvements. As far as popular items, sometimes I question too the logic as this is were I first go and I mostly see the same items there. Some killer items, others not so much but I guess people still buy them.

2204 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
manuelvega says

I agree, for some problems I could not upload my item some days ago and when i came i found with a lots of items , I think it will not last more than 3 days in the home , Obviously I can choose different moments , but would be better another way to manage items too :)

253 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in Sweden
+2 more
graphic_dev says

If the popularity is on a weekly basis, then show the most popular items the last 7 days (yesterday and six days back – no matter what weekday it is). Problem solved.

It would be even better to give the user the option to chose the period himself (last day, week, month, year, all time).

136 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

Well, part of the problem is that when many of the popular files were released (as they are older) less items were being submitted, so those items had much longer exposure on the homepage. A year and a half ago items would be up there for a week almost.. now its 2 or three days.

Yes, the homepage / ui needs redesigning to allow new items a weeks good exposure to compete. No, this wont happen ;)

4596 posts Love & Light
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Trending items row on the homepage – that’s all I’m saying

197 posts
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

You guys are absolutely right .. view by trends would be the perfect solution.

by
by
by
by
by
by