119 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
Denizen says
Denizen, the flame appeared on the second topic with the same subject… triworks full template something…
once can be cool… but don’t push it, man… ... i think that was the cause…

Wicked,

Thank you for making my point.

You are saying it is OK to self-promote as long as it conforms to YOUR rules.. in this case .. one post.

You see, herein lies the problem. Whose rules is TriWorks supposed to follow? Yours? Bobocels? Mine? FlashDens? Or those mysterious unwritten rules that only the “In-Crowd” can break?

I think any rational observer to this post realizes that my thesis is rhetorical.

TriWorks is obviously the victim of prejudice.

Bringhurst

691 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
geoken says

I think both threads are lame.

Also, I think your mis-using the term prejudice. A simple etymological break down of the word pretty much spells out it’s true meaning, namely, to judge someone/something based on pre concieved notions about a specific group that person belongs to.

In this case people are making judgments based on specific actions, and know virtually nothing of either party. I think the worst you could do is accuse people of holding a double standard. It’s a little sensationalist to call them prejudice.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Denizen i see you have a passion for this kind of subjects… so… that it’s your final point? like.. you discovered something and.. that is it?! have you read this ? i don’t see you there… and that man has a point…

Cheers.

119 posts
Denizen says

geoken,

Nice vocabulary, faulty syllogism.

Bobocel is judging TriWorks as “dis-honorable person” in an overt attempt to limit forum linked files and subsequently, TriWorks sales.

Bobo belongs to the group of authors whose files sell because of lopsided exposure, not necessarily quality.

And yes, I agree with your last observation that he has a “Double Standard” is a less sensational description of his behavior.

Bringhurst

181 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
dada says

i agree with wickedpixel… and when you after reading this(post from the link of wickedpixel) the same think as before, have it no sense for discuss this and fill up the forum more with stuff like that…

the best honestly advice from me to you… wait till the flashden team create and release a feature for write requests and suggestions…. like triworks did it in the forum

how is that? is this enough satisfaction? Denizen

3217 posts Point. Counterpoint.
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+14 more
ADG3studios Envato team says

Denny,

As far as I see it, the point, like wickedPixel said, is that there is a generally degree of leniency towards promoting one’s own FD files on the forum, but that it has a limit and that limit is determined by a number of subjective factors.

The closest physical thing I can liken this rule to in the real world is a non-newtonian fluid. Go get some silly putty. Pull it gently and it will bend and stretch. Now pull it fast and it will snap like dry twig.

On the forum, likewise. The self promo rules, “mysterious” as you call them are essentially not so. Maybe it’s because of their own malleable (human) nature, the fact that they can be rather bent, makes them elusive for you to grasp concretely and justify one instance over the other, in your head

It just boils down to common sense. Both the threads you mention are tantamount to the same thing. Promo. A Spade’s a spade, alright? Finally some clarity. And without delving deeper, the prejudice seems obvious, an injustice you are vehemently proclaiming.

Delving deeper now, one needs to see and understand that the act itself of creating the thread is not that which summons the ire of authors imo.

In this case, it was the consecutive promotion of consecutive files which broke the silly putty. That is what put people on guard and into defense mode.

By posting 2 consecutive self promo threads on the board for 2 files in a row, well that just makes people feel.. whoa 2 promos in a row, you can’t make this a habit here. So swords were drawn and the clash ensued.

It is the habit of regular self promotion, perceived or factual, that is the heart of the matter, not any single author or thread itself.

Let’s illustrate again. If Bob and Ralph both show up an hour late for work, and Bob has done so recently but Ralph has not, well Bob will get in trouble, while chances are Ralph will be excused. Any visitor to the office on that given day who witnesses the events without being aware of the back story is apt to perceive an apparent injustice, favoritism or prejudice, when in fact there is none there.

So bottom line is that promo can be done, now and as such, with moderation and that will be tolerated I’d expect.

But like anything, when one pushes luck… Well how many times can a seal put its head through a hole in the ice before having its skull smashed?

That’s the way I’m seeing it Bringhurst… and finally as an opinion expressed to you, I would urge you to consider proving some restraint in bringing further hostility and animosity to the table, lest the spotlight turn onto your end and expose your own incivilities just the same.

For all the other denizens of the den, why not try to accept this understanding until the time a workable solution is determined for promos and post-approval wish lists on the forum.

For now I’ll keep dreaming of a Den o’ Zen :P

932 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
JWG says
......Den o’ Zen :P

LOL !!!

Okay really though, the best idea would be for EVERYONE to leave the moderating up to the FD staff. Not reviewers, or top sellers, or the little guys like me. I think, if FD doesn’t have you on payroll, quit telling people what to do. I have been guilty of it too, i know! But, if we all just left it alone, either the staff would speak up and no one would argue, or we could just assume that everything is cool. I assure you, if the forums get out of control, FD staff will say something. Until then, live and let live.

Opinions are like what??..... Thats right.

:)

181 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
dada says

wise words from a man with a bald :P

but i agree with u 2 :D

119 posts
Denizen says
Denizen i see you have a passion for this kind of subjects… so… that it’s your final point? like.. you discovered something and.. that is it?! have you read this ? i don’t see you there… and that man has a point… Cheers.

Thank you!

Yes it is true I have a passion for honesty and fair play, especially when it comes to buyers and new authors.

Far too little effort is made in this forum to protect buyers and new authors from the holier-than-thou, self-appointed- rule-makers that control it.

Far too much of this forum is controlled a few of the same whining, self-absorbed authors who think buyers care about what their favorite movies are instead of letting us know about great files like the coming WildWise template or the TriWorks Modules.

As to the second part of your comment, that thread was started in response to a post I had just made in the first place!!

Bringhurst

3217 posts Point. Counterpoint.
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+14 more
ADG3studios Envato team says
Opinions are like what?? :)

Opinions are like A$$HOLES! Everyone’s got one :D

-Detective "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Best line in the world lol

Yeah Josh you right, everybody should just shutup. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by