116 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
finsta2 says

Ok I am a noob when it comes to wordpress. My Question is: Are Wordpress themes compatible? I mean Will a 2.8 work with a 2.9 will a 2.9 work with a 2.9.8.7.6? I am scared to invest in a good theme because of the many updates wordpress does.

Any tips on which ones to buy?

2441 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

Decide on the WP theme you need & like, then simply ask the author if the theme is tested under the WP version you want to use :)

116 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
finsta2 says

yeah but what if they release a bug fix or maybe its even critical…I would hate to hire a freelancer to make it work with the new version.

In all honesty no authors on here update there theme to the latest version. At Least I haven’t saw any.

2441 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says
yeah but what if they release a bug fix or maybe its even critical…I would hate to hire a freelancer to make it work with the new version.

This will happen, you can’t avoid it. Someday, WP will change something important in the core, as they have throughout the years.

But having bought a theme here, when a core update is done for WP, you can ask the author here what to do to make it compatible, should you have trouble.

And by the way, most authors here DO update their stuff and DO offer support (don’t confuse with customization) – simply because it’s better for business ;)

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Don’t forget you are not forced to update your Wordpress version… If it works, then you get problems with a later version, just go back to that version.

659 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
luckykind says

Updates aren’t just for Wordpress… browsers get updated all of the time… sometimes, not all the time, that means newer versions break your older website… that’s just how it goes…

If you’re going to build any kind of site on the web… be prepared to either invest the time fixing it yourself at some point… or hiring someone else to do it…

116 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
finsta2 says

Okay. Thanks

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
Updates aren’t just for Wordpress… browsers get updated all of the time… sometimes, not all the time, that means newer versions break your older website… that’s just how it goes… If you’re going to build any kind of site on the web… be prepared to either invest the time fixing it yourself at some point… or hiring someone else to do it…

Great point, especially considering new standards constantly being drafted, very well said :)

by
by
by
by
by
by