34 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Netherlands
michiels says

Hi everyone,

We at Firmhouse are both Ruby (on Rails) and PHP / WordPress developers and we decided to blend the worlds and start with creating a little open source online tool for easy WordPress installation and theme/plugin generation.

We call it PressPass. For example. To generate a new clean WordPress installation, you can execute:

presspass new my_wordpress_site

This will download the latest version of WordPress and unpack it as the directory my_wordpress_site so you can add that to your virtual hosts or any other development directory you use.

The tool itself is written in the programming language Ruby and you can install it with Rubygems. Rubygems is installed on your Mac by default and it’s quite easy to install it on Windows and Linux too.

We are planning on adding new options like presspass generate theme my_theme to generate a clean WordPress theme with a few basics already set up.

For more info, check out the code on GitHub: http://github.com/michiels/presspass. Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks

3072 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Why not a tool with a gui?

34 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Netherlands
michiels says

Why not a tool with a gui?

Personally, I like the command line better for these kind of things because you can integrate it with other scripts and tools better, and it fits into our development workflow with version management and deployment.

A GUI would be great for some people too but a command line tool is much easier to use on multiple operating systems.

by
by
by
by
by
by