177 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
xdkd says
It has come to my attention that a certain TF author “appropriated” preview image template used by our team since at least December 2011 for several best-selling items on TF. http://gyazo.com/8c26334d642647fee57bcd256b9e843f Not only general concept, but size and positioning of numerous elements (down to the pixel!) seems to be, hmm, heavily inspired by my work. Is that such a big deal? We believe it is, because TF preview image is an important marketing asset and a part of IP we are creating for the marketplaces. We communicate item highlights and establish a visual language for our products via the use of this 590×300px image. The issue is further complicated by the fact that items with my design are sold under several accounts, so usage of this template by other unrelated author may lead to customer confusion as they may associate his product with already selling products present in TF top sellers list. http://gyazo.com/6220b7822f3c2d6db395a94b7ebf555f I would like to hear community opinions on this, thank you!
140 posts moutheme
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
moutheme says

How can anyone give you an opinion without seeing your preview image example?

298 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
crossroad says

Did you create those images by yourself? or are you the only one who have rights to use those images? If you are using any creative common or any other licence images which allow others to use as well, then it should not be any problem.

177 posts
+1 more
xdkd says

How can anyone give you an opinion without seeing your preview image example?

Three of the images featured on that screenshot are created by me, the rest are not. Can you guess which is which? Well, that seems to illustrate my point.

177 posts
+1 more
xdkd says

Did you create those images by yourself?

While those images use certain appropriately licensed third-party assets, design concept and psd was created by me for internal use. Since that other author did not have access to my psd, I suppose he just re-created the template from scratch for some reason. http://gyazo.com/1dadfc7ae404aebf53f7a25c353d228a it’s so similar they just blend together if overlayed!

278 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Vasterad says

No offence, but are you kidding? :) The only similarity I can see is between iMac screens and it’s only because both are placed in this same proportion.

177 posts
+1 more
xdkd says

Vasterad surely my view may be subjective but I see following similarities: 1. Same concept, same layout, same solid background and composition 2. Same margins and positioning of elements 3. Same logo height, font size, font spacing (they are literally identical, 26px\10px) 4. Even same slogans! Isn’t that a bit much for incidental similarities? Can it be reasonably assumed author did not copy my work? For instance, your preview images clearly look nothing like that, Orman has his own distinct style, GoodLayers, peerapong just to name a few – everyone define their own visual language for presentation of their works. Just check this out http://themeforest.net/popular_item/by_category?category=wordpress it’s very easy to determine who released the item just by hovering for preview image.

by
by
by
by
by
by