239 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
phpdude says

I’m not elite author, and won’t be for a long time. But I was wondering what exactly wasn’t working with the price adjustment tool that it needed to be shelved? Why not keep it until a more solid and long term solution becomes available?

Regarding @Ormans points of what authors need, I agree there are lots of feature requests much more imperative than the ability to change forum titles etc. If you search the forums, you’ll find loads, but here’s a few I know have been asked pretty much every few months: Better rating system, integrated support, better API for authors, analytics, promotions & discount codes, bundles, bolt ons.

I suggested a while ago about making a road map of feature requests to keep us in the loop on how things were going and what wasn’t working, perhaps a little more transparency about what the future holds for authors at Envato?

Just my 2 cents, not ranting, just find it odd why features are being removed instead of being added. It’s not like you don’t have a huge community of amazing developers that most would be willing to help in to add these features.

3047 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I believe the post said they were removing the old manual price adjustment tool (which actually wasn’t around all that long) while they developing a new dynamic pricing plan to be released later in the year. Free’s up the reviewers time for manually processing price adjustment requests too.

I think we’re in for some wonderful marketplace changes this year. Considering it’ll take about two weeks to roll out a new item badge I think the dev’s are rather busy with cooler stuff! :) Can’t wait.

1529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hey Orman,

I totally understand and as I mentioned in the post, I’m very aware that these changes won’t make up for the loss of the pricing adjustment tool for authors who were making use of it.

I’m confident that long term you’ll find our pricing plans will work to maximise your earnings and eliminate some of the need to test different price points. But I can understand that’s a bit frustrating to hear, and to see the tool removed.

With respect to analytics on the referral program, I also agree. Our referral program needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom. It’s one of the oldest parts of the codebase, and last time it was modified we had a dramatic set of bugs. This means it’s been on the list of ‘clear the schedule for months in advance’ type projects. It is on the agenda however, but a ways off.

On the open rating system, what sort of thing did you have in mind? Ratings have had a lot of discussions in the team, but I don’t know anyone has ever felt super confident we have a better solution than the current system (at least in my opinion).

Again, I’m sorry this change is impacting you poorly. I hope to be back soon with more details of our pricing plans.

1529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hi phpdude,

Good questions, a big part is that we’re moving to a different pricing initiative. I hope to announce more details soon which should help explain the changes as well.

On the subject of feature requests, I’ve noticed recently some of the smaller changes have been met with a bit of frustration similar to Orman’s points. This is very understandable, it’s mostly that the things on that feature list you mentioned are all large projects.

Our development team works on a few different queues of projects at once. The small stuff is always churning out, and often things like item badges, the thumbnail changes on AudioJungle and so on, are all from our small queue. The larger queues move much more slowly and this is where the really big stuff happens, and where the bulk of the resources go.

It’s important to have multiple queues because there is a lot of small stuff that mounts up if you’re not careful.

I like the idea of a roadmap. I’ll work up something, as I think a bit of transparency in this area would help a lot!

239 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
phpdude says

@collis Thanks for the personal reply, I appreciate it. I understand there’s a lot going on behind the scenes regarding site updates etc.

With regards to the roadmap, I’ve used this web app before, and it was pretty good at the time: http://interstateapp.com/

Thanks again

169 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
mikedidthis says
I am still learning the ropes, so bear with me if I say something that isn’t correct.

From my few weeks of being a theme author, I agree with @OrmanClarke with the points he has raised. Here are a few points I would raise:

1. Input on price. I have absolutely no control or input on how much a theme is sold for. Elite or not, I would hope, if a theme is excepted, I would be allowed to discuss or challenge the price of a theme. I appreciate the little experience I have in selling theme or judging price points, but some conversation would be useful
  2. Sales analytics. As mentioned, at the moment I have no idea where my conversions are coming from, or whether my marketing is working.
  3. An open rating system. Would be great to see who rated the theme, and to see their written feedback, rather than scrolling through the comments

I have to say, so far, I am having a really good, enjoyable time here. I have been well looked after by @Siddharth and had nice feedback from other members. The comments above are based on what I have experienced so far, and hopefully would lead to happier and more successful authors.

I also note, that I may have gone off topic! If this needs moving to another forum, please let me know! :)

17 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeZilla says

@Collis

Thanks for jumping in, appreciate you taking the time to read my rant. The frustration comes from removing the tool and leaving an open-ended statement for news on an updated and hopefully better one. For those making use of the current tool, “later in the year” is just too vague – is that 8 days, 8 weeks, 8 months? I’m sure there are 101 issues behind the scenes which we are not privy too, so perhaps some insight into the removal of the current system before having a replacement ready would have eased some fears.

Analytics – nothing to add there, will just have to see how that pans out, but without any insight we could just well be throwing money down the drain.

Ratings – This has been discussed since the beginning of time, pretty sure it was a discussion point when I first flirted with ThemeForest 18 months ago. Personally I want to know why someone has rated an item the way they have, whether that’s positive or negative – so whatever it takes to capture that information. Without it I can only guess what I am doing right or wrong and running an (effective) business shouldn’t be about guesses.

Overall, I didn’t want my first post to be a rant but it was born out of the fact that I happen to take my business seriously and I would like to have peace of mind that the marketplace I partner with takes it equally as seriously, if not more.

156 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
Semenov says

+ for Orman

Item comments are really useless, it’s not good for support, it’s not good for reviews, it’s not searchable and it’s not organized.

Rating system should be a clear list of positive and negative reviews, available for everyone, anonymous reviews should not be allowed at all. Comments should become private, searchable and available only for those, who purchased item.

Stop finally adding stupid badges and redrawing buttons, do somewthing worthy.

2578 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

@Collis

Are there any major changes to anything coming soon, all i’ve seen over the past few months are changes in the css?

381 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
redfactory says

@OrmanClark

I also dislike the removal of the tool, eventough we have not used it yet. You can however send a support ticket stating you want a price changed. Most of the time they will just change it if the item has proved itself. It’s not the same, but could still allow for a bit of adventurous pricing here and there.

by
by
by
by
by
by