51 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
Authentic says

It is unfortunate that you felt the need to temporary remove the tool and to then further escalate the situation by mothballing it; but maybe offer Elite Authors a substitue for the time being? unless the issue was actually entirely monetary related of course. The main concern is that this new pricing structure will not be available for over a year as milestones do not seem to be kept in regard to the themeforest (unforeseen issues ect).

http://cl.ly/2Y1m082D2k471S0J1S1q/pricing-tool.jpg (Based on the idea that reviewing/staff intervention was the main issue).

As Mike Mcalister said earlier there has been a giant underlaying break down in communication over the last year and gargantuan delays in development progression; for instance it was advertised that the tool would be down for a short time and would then come back as soon as possible. There was no talk of issues (in the public domain) with the tool or any foresight indicating it may have to be removed permanently from what I have witnessed at least.

Icons and forum titles are lovely but they do not equate to a possible; thousands of dollars a month which some authors are currently earning from that extra $5. Hopefully authors did not forecast their income based on now to be false figures leading them to invest in things that they may deem poor ventures now (unless the items will retain their higher price until the new pricing structures).

There are always massive hurdles to be overcome and we all love the themeforest but isn’t it time to make it better instead of dithering?

^Matt

IndustrialThemes
IndustrialThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
141 posts
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
+1 more
IndustrialThemes says

At first I was a little bummed to not have a chance at trying the price adjustment tool but after thinking about it:
  1. A price increase on files deter some buyers. Maybe not all, but some. Increasing the price does nothing but add a few extra bucks for each sale which probably doesn’t compensate for the number of buyers who are turned off by the price in the first place.
  2. Having that gorgeous Elite Author badge on items can only help improve the sales of the item. It really helps make an item stand out and I really love the idea!

Not necessarily. I raised the price of one of my themes that had already been out and steadily declining in sales for around 5 months. As soon as I raised it, my sales have increased every month for the past 5 months, not only in sales dollars but also in number of themes sold. This was a direct result of raising my price. I had no idea sales could be increasing each month a good 10 months after an item is released. So, needless to say, I really have a soft spot in my heart for the price adjustment tool :)

100 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

Maybe I’d feel different if I was an Elite author, but I won’t rush to judgement about getting rid of the price adjustment tool since there may well be a good reason for it with these future pricing changes. But now I’m very interested in what these new price changes will be. Like others have said, how soon is “soon”? I’d like to see a $10 increase across the board (even if $5 in six months then $5 in another six months).

The themes will all still be cheaper than anywhere else (for equal design quality, depth of features) so I don’t image that will turn people elsewhere (where would they go anyway, ThemeForest is bigger than all indy shops combined). It might reduce sales volume a bit, but with the price increase, would that affect the bottom line at all? A higher price sends a “this is quality” message to buyers anyway. And not only that, people spend $35 on a theme then turn around and charge $500 to the client. $45 is a drop in the bucket, still! In the end I think it’d mean no loss in income but less customers to support and therefore more time to design themes which translates into better quality and wider selection. And that translates into a more attractive marketplace for buyer$.

On the other points, I sure do like the idea of ratings with comments, Amazon style. If comments could be replaced by: pre-sales questions (public), written reviews with ratings (public) and a built-in support forum for each item (private), that would be great. Also, I think for top authors, the support system would need to allow privileged staff users to post responses, versus the author alone. The idea that buyers should have to go to a third party forum for adequate support is amateurish.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

Not necessarily. I raised the price of one of my themes that had already been out and steadily declining in sales for around 5 months. As soon as I raised it, my sales have increased every month for the past 5 months, not only in sales dollars but also in number of themes sold. This was a direct result of raising my price. I had no idea sales could be increasing each month a good 10 months after an item is released. So, needless to say, I really have a soft spot in my heart for the price adjustment tool :)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing those details. I became an Elite Author yesterday so I never had an opportunity to test it out myself. So my theories were just that… theories. ;) It would be great to see some solid stats on it though.

IndustrialThemes
IndustrialThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
141 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
+1 more
IndustrialThemes says

Interesting. Thanks for sharing those details. I became an Elite Author yesterday so I never had an opportunity to test it out myself. So my theories were just that… theories. ;) It would be great to see some solid stats on it though.

Agreed, I would love to hear if other people have experienced the same thing as I have. Congrats on Elite status, by the way!

729 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

VERY frustrating. Same goes for me, like you Jami – I became elite a few weeks ago or so and just before I was about to submit increase requests it went offline. I was going to raise prices on my 5 top selling items. It was going to be an amazing experiment because there is only one other Elite author on audiojungle and he has never used the tool. I would have easily been able to see how much customers were ready for the increase. I would have done the whole portfolio if I was able to as well.

The pricing on AJ is making me quite frustrated because I feel like I am almost giving music away vs what I can now get paid for it, but don’t want to pull items from my exclusive portfolio….unfortunately I have a bad feeling it will start happening soon because the offers (bids) to buy out music by larger corporate companies is increasing all the time – and the price point is so low on AJ that it is no longer competitive to leave it on my exclusive account over time to make more then the bids.

This is the first time I have actually had a “real” issue here. :(

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

I have reached $125k. How do I receive my elite care package?

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Not a bad trade-off if you ask me – Badges are an awesome little addition to the items! The price changes were a neat idea, but I didn’t use it more than once.

Idea 01: Searchable (or at least improved) product threads for Elite authors.

I hate sending users off-site for support, and it just seems like a strange practice if the sales are all based here. Plus, it’s one of the top requested features from users. ;)

Idea 02: A TF community jobs board where customers can post customization requests with budgets for individual freelancers to take on.

Poke, poke ;) Brandon

542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
ThemesFever says

Not a bad trade-off if you ask me – Badges are an awesome little addition to the items! The price changes were a neat idea, but I didn’t use it more than once.

Idea 01: Searchable (or at least improved) product threads for Elite authors.

I hate sending users off-site for support, and it just seems like a strange practice if the sales are all based here. Plus, it’s one of the top requested features from users. ;)

Idea 02: A TF community jobs board where customers can post customization requests with budgets for individual freelancers to take on.

Poke, poke ;) Brandon

If they are going to improve product threads it should be for everyone and not just for elite authors …

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

If they are going to improve product threads it should be for everyone and not just for elite authors …

You’ll get no disagreement out of me, I just figured this is as good a time as any to make another request for this (hence the poking) ;)

If one of the reasons this has been delayed though is server impact, it might actually make sense to roll it out across a small sample of author accounts… still, the obvious problem here is a discontinuous UI on the site. Customers getting to search one thread and not another is confusing as all getout… but it’s definitely time to get the ball rolling on this one if it isn’t already. I get at least 2 comments a day requesting a search function that’s specific to one product.

by
by
by
by
by
by