669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Great move Envato. It was about time!

Very happy with the small increment. Thanks guys!

1243 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
SomethingDesign says

@Buky If the authors will be able to set their own prices the market will become more natural / organic based on quality / skills and prices competition. I’m sure many authors would like to set deals and promotion on their items Many buyers would have great advantages. As you said top items will cost higher then average items. Just imagine a top WP theme with $150 – $200 and an average theme with $50 – $60 but at some point you can buy that top theme at $15 Deal price. It’s a win-win situations. You get a deal and the author get many sales and allot of exposure for further sales when the deal will expire. Unfortunately this isn’t possible here.
thank god this isn’t possible here with authors from all around the world with different currency exchange rates.

This is how a liberal market normally works based on supply and demand. I don’t think you like if at your local market all the products from different producers will cost the same. Currency exchange rate is just a financial factor that’s why is better if you can adjust your prices in this way you can cover that expenses.

1349 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

This is how a liberal market normally works based on supply and demand. I don’t think you like if at your local market all the products from different producers will cost the same. Currency exchange rate is just a financial factor that’s why is better if you can adjust your prices in this way you can cover that expenses.

Go look at sites like e-lancer etc. if you want to see how this breaks when working with international authors. Envato set prices, it works perfectly, simple.

Put this in the hands of the authors and I guarantee there will be $5 WordPress themes within the week, no-one wants this.

105 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
tips4design says

@Buky If the authors will be able to set their own prices the market will become more natural / organic based on quality / skills and prices competition. I’m sure many authors would like to set deals and promotion on their items Many buyers would have great advantages. As you said top items will cost higher then average items. Just imagine a top WP theme with $150 – $200 and an average theme with $50 – $60 but at some point you can buy that top theme at $15 Deal price. It’s a win-win situations. You get a deal and the author get many sales and allot of exposure for further sales when the deal will expire. Unfortunately this isn’t possible here.
thank god this isn’t possible here with authors from all around the world with different currency exchange rates.

Why do you think you can know how an item should be priced better than a team a people whose job is to do it?

Great news, the only bad part is that we now have to change all our promotional images and texts where we state our item’s price :(

4668 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

There was nothing wrong with the prices before – top items were making good income. And besides why would you want to be more expensive, sure you make more per sale but will that make you more in turnover? You should know that value for money is how you make good turnover on Envato.. for example look how well the Envato bundles do. Think like a buyer – think how you shop when looking for good deals, it’s about value for money to get those sales. A small price increase on higher priced items is still worth while for buyers, however a small price increase on lower priced items is less attractive.. think about it.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Have you ever been to the market? :D 99% of the products have the same prices. If a dude sells his tomatoes with $1/kg, everyone else will go with the same price. Maybe you’ll find some tomatoes at $0.8 or $1.2, but that’s it. You will never find a guy who sells tomatoes at $0.5 if the majority sells with $1.. This is how any market in the world works.

1243 posts
+4 more
SomethingDesign says

Go look at sites like e-lancer etc. if you want to see how this breaks when working with international authors. Envato set prices, it works perfectly, simple.

Put this in the hands of the authors and I guarantee there will be $5 WordPress themes within the week, no-one wants this.

E-lancer is not a passive income based website. I will tell you where this is works perfectly but democracy will die if I do it here.

1243 posts
+4 more
SomethingDesign says

Have you ever been to the market? :D 99% of the products have the same prices. If a dude sells his tomatoes with $1/kg, everyone else will go with the same price. Maybe you’ll find some tomatoes at $0.8 or $1.2, but that’s it. You will never find a guy who sells tomatoes at $0.5 if the majority sells with $1.. This is how any market in the world works.

A tomato will always be a tomato. Change tomatoes with wine and your theory will no longer apply. In other words you forgot the product’s value.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

A tomato will always be a tomato. Change tomatoes with wine and your theory will no longer apply. In other words you forgot the product’s value.

Aren’t all WordPress themes tomatoes? :)

208 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
GDragoN says

There was nothing wrong with the prices before – top items were making good income. And besides why would you want to be more expensive, sure you make more per sale but will that make you more in turnover? You should know that value for money is how you make good turnover on Envato.. for example look how well the Envato bundles do. Think like a buyer – think how you shop when looking for good deals, it’s about value for money to get those sales. A small price increase on higher priced items is still worth while for buyers, however a small price increase on lower priced items is less attractive.. think about it.

Envato Bundles are making good sales due to low price, but in the end they are pretty useless to the buyer. If you get a plugin through bundle you can’t get any updates for it, any support for it. And if you want to use it later, you still need to make a purchase of that plugin on its own to get all the benefits of the purchase. Bundles are cheap because the real value they offer is pretty low. Bundles are OK purchase for items that will not change or you will not require support for, but for themes or plugins, bundles are waste of money.

by
by
by
by
by
by