3568 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

There was nothing wrong with the prices before – top items were making good income. And besides why would you want to be more expensive, sure you make more per sale but will that make you more in turnover? You should know that value for money is how you make good turnover on Envato.. for example look how well the Envato bundles do. Think like a buyer – think how you shop when looking for good deals, it’s about value for money to get those sales. A small price increase on higher priced items is still worth while for buyers, however a small price increase on lower priced items is less attractive.. think about it.
Envato Bundles are making good sales due to low price, but in the end they are pretty useless to the buyer. If you get a plugin through bundle you can’t get any updates for it, any support for it. And if you want to use it later, you still need to make a purchase of that plugin on its own to get all the benefits of the purchase. Bundles are cheap because the real value they offer is pretty low. Bundles are OK purchase for items that will not change or you will not require support for, but for themes or plugins, bundles are waste of money.

+1 .. most buyers complain about this – bundles are really useless without support and updates.

1243 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
SomethingDesign says

A tomato will always be a tomato. Change tomatoes with wine and your theory will no longer apply. In other words you forgot the product’s value.
Aren’t all WordPress themes tomatoes? :)

Yes, is just one single tomato cloned all over again. :)

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
Buky says

There was nothing wrong with the prices before – top items were making good income. And besides why would you want to be more expensive, sure you make more per sale but will that make you more in turnover? You should know that value for money is how you make good turnover on Envato.. for example look how well the Envato bundles do. Think like a buyer – think how you shop when looking for good deals, it’s about value for money to get those sales. A small price increase on higher priced items is still worth while for buyers, however a small price increase on lower priced items is less attractive.. think about it.

I’m sure Envato is trying to find a sweet spot for maximizing revenue for everyone, it’s what they are living from and only thing to do it is by testing and monitoring. We can talk as much as we want but can’t really do anything.

The really funny part is seeing how low selling Author ToivoMedia explains the triviality of the change.

I do have to say thank you to Creattive for great post about perspective. And while I didn’t notice it before, looks like well doing Authors really are respecting their customers more. Makes sense.

With this post I am done on the topic. It is what it is and I will continue to bring my business to Envato because prices are still acceptable for me. And when (yes, when) the prices change again I can’t say I’ll have the same attitude.

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
Buky says

Envato Bundles are making good sales due to low price, but in the end they are pretty useless to the buyer. If you get a plugin through bundle you can’t get any updates for it, any support for it. And if you want to use it later, you still need to make a purchase of that plugin on its own to get all the benefits of the purchase. Bundles are cheap because the real value they offer is pretty low. Bundles are OK purchase for items that will not change or you will not require support for, but for themes or plugins, bundles are waste of money.
+1 .. most buyers complain about this – bundles are really useless without support and updates.

Not the case on other marketplaces, for example AJ

191 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ZeroLink says

A small price increase on higher priced items is still worth while for buyers, however a small price increase on lower priced items is less attractive.. think about it.

I’m not sure about other marketplaces, but on VideoHive items that are $10 still remain the same price, while higher priced items saw a slight increase.

I’m sure Envato is trying to find a sweet spot for maximizing revenue for everyone, it’s what they are living from and only thing to do it is by testing and monitoring. We can talk as much as we want but can’t really do anything.

All in all this is pretty much what it’s boiling down to. I believe if Envato saw negative turnover results in their previous price increase, they wouldn’t have increased the prices even higher. I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see how things go.

127 posts
  • Helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
marcoarib says

For premium templates and more expensive products may have been a good option, but for cheap products I’m not so sure. The increase appears to have been exaggerated in some cases:

$1 to $2 = increase of 100%
$2 to $3 = increase of 50%
$3 to $4 = increase of 33,3%
$4 to $5 = increase of 25%
$5 to $6 = increase of 20%
$6 to $7 = increase of 16,6%
$10 to $11 = increase of 10%
$15 to $16 = increase of 6,6%
$45 to $48 = increase of 6,6%

For cheap products the buyer wants two things: PRICE and QUALITY. Normally these products are simple to use and support is not the first priority.

So I think that increases in cheaper products (over 16% on products that cost up to $ 7) will negatively affect sales of these products because the quality will be the same.

Note: excuse me if the percentages are wrong, I think that’s it.

4671 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

For premium templates and more expensive products may have been a good option, but for cheap products I’m not so sure. The increase appears to have been exaggerated in some cases:

$1 to $2 = increase of 100%
$2 to $3 = increase of 50%
$3 to $4 = increase of 33,3%
$4 to $5 = increase of 25%
$5 to $6 = increase of 20%
$6 to $7 = increase of 16,6%
$10 to $11 = increase of 10%
$15 to $16 = increase of 6,6%
$45 to $48 = increase of 6,6%

Bingo… if we use our logic here, the percentage increases should have been the other way around for a more fair competitive environment considering the volume of sales on some higher priced items, but personally I think it was the higher priced items which needed a slight increase, the rest of the library was competitively priced. But Envato should know how it works, so this is done on purpose obviously for a specific end result.

105 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ThemePlugger says

Great news for us who constantly keeps our product up to date and new features. :D

109 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
Soundplusion says

This is really good! :)

Best Regards

32 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years