2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
zenji says

A question if I may and not sure if it has been asked yet. I know Envato sets the cost scale, but who sets the price for the template? The developer? Cheers Mike
All prices are set by Envato, authors have no influence over that. But, authors can request additional review to reevaluate price for the item if they made some significant changes, and price is still set by Envato.

GDragon … thank you fro the reply. Do you know how Envato bases their cost structure? Is it on how popular the author is? How many items they have?

Many thanks, Mike

206 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
GDragoN says

As far as I know, item price depends on the item features and its category. So, HTML and WordPress versions of the same design will be priced different. Also, WordPress theme will be worth more if it supports bbPress, BuddyPress and has other advanced features. I don’t believe that author rating, popularity or things like that have anything to do with price of the item.

22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
MaxLopez says

Gracias Envato!

Os agradezco mucho por todo el apoyo que nos dan. Ahora mismo estoy muy feliz :crying: Creo q trabajaré horas extras :D

3 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
awezome says

As a buyer, all I can say is that I was going to log in and buy 5 new Magento themes to compare. I just noticed the price increase. Now I’ll likely take more time examining them, and just get 2.

However, this does not affect much Wordpress or Prestashop purchases. Those were small increases. I still plan to buy everything in my collections and watch lists.

So only my Magento purchases are affected.

Long term, I believe the price increases are a good thing if it inspires designers to put more work into perfecting their product and ultimately into supporting it.

I do think it’s a better idea, perhaps, to apply price changes to new templates in some cases. Obviously some older ones were made with a lower price point in mind.

Select others, like the Athlete template for Magento, are obviously worth more than what is charged now. That’s a good $150-$200 theme, but templates like that are few and far between.

3 posts
awezome says

As a buyer, there is one thing I want Envato charge me:

Continuing fees (perhaps yearly) of some kind for continued updates and support.

I think getting unlimited updates & support for life “for one flat fee” is a sure way to ultimately get no support or updates ever. It’s as bad for buyers, as it is unrealistic for sellers. Most buyers with any business sense, in fact, will avoid such arrangements because they know they’re non-sustainable.

I’m not buying paintings or photographs, which is old work never to be updated again. No, I’m also buying someone’s future commitment to product betterment and support questions.

Continued work requires continued money. There’s no way to get around that. Creators still get charged rent or mortgage, they still need to buy food, and clothe themselves and perhaps their kids. Their own life and work expenses are constant and never ending. There’s no flat fees in life, except in imagination land somewhere.

Continued work comes in the form of both updates to the product, and support. If creators don’t get paid for this work, their attention naturally drifts elsewhere. Projects like X-cart killed it’s development with this type of crazy “pay once for eternal updates” type of structure. Many projects that charged monthly or yearly for updates & support are now far ahead, because the incentive was there.

“Unlimited support” for a one time fee means I’m cautious to only buy the more popular products that keep selling well to new buyers, as I’ve noticed a lot of niche creative work fall by the wayside due to a limited long-term income stream. If I knew the creators would receive continued money, should I want continued updates and support, then I’d invest more in less popular items.

i.e., I want to know updates are getting paid for and will be coming down the pipeline. I want to know that there’s an income stream for someone to support me a year or two down the line. I feel far more comfortable paying for this privilege than merely hoping that someone lives in an inexpensive country, and is good at hanging onto the original money they made selling their creation to me in the first place. I want more of a sure thing in terms of updates and support, and less of a crap shoot.

66 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Malaysia
+1 more
Leokoo says

As a buyer, there is one thing I want Envato charge me:

Continuing fees (perhaps yearly) of some kind for continued updates and support.

I think getting unlimited updates & support for life “for one flat fee” is a sure way to ultimately get no support or updates ever. It’s as bad for buyers, as it is unrealistic for sellers. Most buyers with any business sense, in fact, will avoid such arrangements because they know they’re non-sustainable.

I’m not buying paintings or photographs, which is old work never to be updated again. No, I’m also buying someone’s future commitment to product betterment and support questions.

Continued work requires continued money. There’s no way to get around that. Creators still get charged rent or mortgage, they still need to buy food, and clothe themselves and perhaps their kids. Their own life and work expenses are constant and never ending. There’s no flat fees in life, except in imagination land somewhere.

Continued work comes in the form of both updates to the product, and support. If creators don’t get paid for this work, their attention naturally drifts elsewhere. Projects like X-cart killed it’s development with this type of crazy “pay once for eternal updates” type of structure. Many projects that charged monthly or yearly for updates & support are now far ahead, because the incentive was there.

“Unlimited support” for a one time fee means I’m cautious to only buy the more popular products that keep selling well to new buyers, as I’ve noticed a lot of niche creative work fall by the wayside due to a limited long-term income stream. If I knew the creators would receive continued money, should I want continued updates and support, then I’d invest more in less popular items.

i.e., I want to know updates are getting paid for and will be coming down the pipeline. I want to know that there’s an income stream for someone to support me a year or two down the line. I feel far more comfortable paying for this privilege than merely hoping that someone lives in an inexpensive country, and is good at hanging onto the original money they made selling their creation to me in the first place. I want more of a sure thing in terms of updates and support, and less of a crap shoot.

Instead of having other buyers to pay for updates and support, perhaps paid support tickets could be used, while having updates for the item continue as long as it is viable for the author (as in terms of sales) :)

3 posts
awezome says

Instead of having other buyers to pay for updates and support, perhaps paid support tickets could be used, while having updates for the item continue as long as it is viable for the author (as in terms of sales) :)

That’s a darn good idea, too, Leokoo.

1117 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
TanyDi says

I have a question : Are there any price changes in GR categories like backgrounds, textures and print templates ?

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

I have a question : Are there any price changes in GR categories like backgrounds, textures and print templates ?

No, the only prices on GR to change in the last couple of years (at least) is Vectors. Total suckfest.

by
by
by
by
by
by