Threads Started
406 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Belgium
DsignProductions says

I cant quote correctly this but friend of mine which study economy once said to me : when there is more demand on the market the prices goes up – this is the main principle in the economy – and the opposite goes too. back in 2009 the market was small the prices too , now there is a huge market …
+1000000 exactly.

Its not because its a fact, people like it. Anyway, I understand both opinions.

21 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Yarche says

Why not to compare: (downloads) multiple by (price) multiple by (commision %).
I compared http://videohive.net/forums/thread/tell-me-how-to-sell-my-video/70985
1238 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

low prices keep buyers coming back… high prices and we all think about it and postpone buying (for example I have 2,400 items in my bookmarks now, not buying any of it yet). also remember in comparison the LICENSE terms; that’s a big issue; most sites have unlimited usage for AE templates (though one other has copied the single-use model envato has), not just restrict to one usage per purchase.

IF envato would loosen up licensing to 3-5 personal uses per purchase, at least, then prices could be justified higher. But the extremely strict per-usage license means, if I want to use a $35 project in 3 different of my Own business sites, I need to pay 3x$35 = $105, which is very expensive. The strict licensing here makes envato the total-cost most expensive site with AE templates.

1504 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

very few buyers pays for it again to use it again. So I guess it’s not the matter.

If every buyer would purchase extended license when they have to we wouldn’t need to increase prices for items.

6770 posts
  • Italy
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

low prices keep buyers coming back… high prices and we all think about it and postpone buying (for example I have 2,400 items in my bookmarks now, not buying any of it yet). also remember in comparison the LICENSE terms; that’s a big issue; most sites have unlimited usage for AE templates (though one other has copied the single-use model envato has), not just restrict to one usage per purchase. IF envato would loosen up licensing to 3-5 personal uses per purchase, at least, then prices could be justified higher. But the extremely strict per-usage license means, if I want to use a $35 project in 3 different of my Own business sites, I need to pay 3x$35 = $105, which is very expensive. The strict licensing here makes envato the total-cost most expensive site with AE templates.

instead of buy one time – use forever type of deal like you ask, maybe a discount on multiple license purchase for the same item is better. Let’s say you buy a pack of five uses for an item, then you get one for free (or some other type of benefit. like free marketplace credit)

one time pay forever use, is not fair for the author. The obvious example is someone purchasing one license and then reselling hundreds of customized video to his clients.

137 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
nugas says

:’( :’( :’(

114 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
vidosworld says

Guys! Let`s think about how much time all of us (as authors) we spend creating a project. We definetly have the lowest price on the market but also the highest quality projects. Nobody can change my point of view (as a buyer) that when you like a product you really don`t look at the price.For ex. Me, as a client of Audiojungle I really don`t look at the price of an audiofile (14$, 18$, 30$) if this product makes my imagination flow, I just click on BUY NOW ! (I am always thinking I could buy Michael Jackson`s last album :)) ) So! Once you have clients for Extended Licence (televisions, advertising agencies and so on) which they pay let`s say 250$ for one project, I really think that is not a big problem for a company to pay 500$ or more. Now, about Regular licence, why to sell a project with 10$ for somebody who promote his website with a total investment of 1000$ or why to sell a 15$ videohive project for somebody who`s spreading after your file to all the warez sites or why to sell a 25$ videohive project for somebody who`s making few changes and after is selling your product for more ??!! My point of view is simple: I DON `T THINK YOU LOOSE A REAL CLIENT BECAUSE OF THE PRICE ! HE LIKES – HE IS GOING TO BUY ! THANK YOU

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Yea, yea, I know, it’s a bit boring, but I couldn’t help my self to compare the prices between videohive and one other website which sells AE projects and stuff like VH. I couldn’t find the date of the files, so I will just list number of downloads. For example:
  • News package – $90 (Possible VH price $35) (122 downloads)
  • Video presentation – $100 (Possible VH price $20-$25) (120 downloads)
  • Logo reveal – $45 (Possible VH price – $10-$12) (173 downloads)
  • Infographics template – $50 (Possible VH price – $25-$30) (110 downloads)
  • Video presentation – $65 (possible VH price $20-$25 (125 downloads)
  • Logo sting – $35 (Possible VH Price – $10-$12) (108 downloads)
  • Video display – $45 (Possible VH Price – $20-$25) (105 downloads)
  • Magazine template – $35 (Possible VH price – $20-$25) (181 downloads)
  • Logo reveal – $35 (Possible VH price – $8-$10) (132 downloads)
  • .. etc.
Thoughts?

Given that there are no competitors anywhere near Videohive’s price point (and those that are nearest have probably dropped their prices to compete), I continually have to ask myself why such a pricing policy exists. Establish a monopoly? VH must be well on the way to that already.

But I do believe that VH is missing out on a higher end customer who has money to spend and is prepared to spend it to find something high quality. These people’s time is valuable and they don’t want to spend their time sifting through lower quality stuff. So, they go somewhere where they can spend more to get a more select choice. Those are the customers keeping these higher priced sites afloat.

At the moment, despite some price hikes at the higher end, Videohive doesn’t do enough to differentiate quality. There difference in prices is not big enough to reflect the difference in quality, and there are no other means to filter out the quality stuff.

So those customers with money to spend and no time to waste are lost.

I think there are a number of files on here lately that warrant a price tag of at least $100. I want to weep when I see a massive rendered 3D project, with masses of original modelling, texturing, lighting, compositing and real animation in there, that probably took many weeks if not months to build, selling for only twice as much as some half-witted video display project that any newb could knock out in 2 days with a hangover. If you sold the original models in the project I’m thinking about on 3DO, you’d arrive at 3 times the VH price already.

I hope there will come a point where it’s desirable and advantageous to have a high price, because high pricing will be exactly what customers with a budget are using to filter their search results to show only the good stuff.

Videohive has done a great job of building up a huge library of files over the past few years, but it now needs a bit more direction. More quantity without more choice is not going to bring in any new customers.

1238 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
graphic4444 says

absolutely right, felt—as I’ve long said there should be an elite category, with higher pricing, for top end stuff with detailed composites and network-quality; in sales you Always want to have a premium offering available for those of us and others who can afford it. and it should be highlighted in a unique way for people.

licensing: for a guy like me who runs his own sites, has no clients, but would like to use a project in say 3 of my own sites, I would like to see a license that fits that (say 2x the normal price, for up to 5 of my own non-client projects for use in my own business). for people with clients, who resell renders, then yes per-usage licensing is completely appropriate (and the customizer sites need to be shut down, imho, w/dmcas, so that your guys’ license revenue is protected, for different people benefiting from a single project, that’s not right).

epic lol phrase felt, “any newb could knock out in 2 days with a hangover”—agree :)

by
by
by
by
by
by