• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Tean says

Thanks for considering. More than overall price increments, another part needs to be considered especially in CodeCanyon. Whenever the items get updated with major features, the item price doesn’t gets changed. For price increments, authors are requested to contact support. That’s fine but as a side effect, what actually happens is some files after tonnes of updates manages to undercut similar category files with apparent low price. The same files with latest features might be priced around 2x or even 5x than when it was approved (since the additions almost makes it like a bundle).

A terrible example is almost all the sliders approved for around $5 – $8 manages to stay with same price even after major updates which makes them to serve as slider, thumbnail gallery, lightbox and almost half of the functionality of entire Image Viewer category files.

So just wanted to point that it is important to monitor files to make sure fair competition not compromised. Day by day Codecanyon becomes a place of selling bundles (covering few categories) in the form of ‘framework’ with the same price as single items. This actually doesn’t need much efforts, just once per month, if a reviewer visits weekly popular files page and checks the top seller’s price and features – that’s enough.

If the price adjustment is going to happen, then prices of all files need to be reconsidered, not just the files in the popular files sections, which on cc is only 1.2% of all files.

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

If the price adjustment is going to happen, then prices of all files need to be reconsidered, not just the files in the popular files sections, which on cc is only 1.2% of all files.

Yes, the overall price increase obviously doesn’t related to top sellers and related only with categories – fits for every file.

I just pointed about popular files for giving an idea about current trend of updates and pricing to the reviewers – to make sure files listed on popular page doesn’t undercut newly approved ones. I do point this because it seems a new file with tonne of features / variations going to be ignored by buyers since popular ones having same number variations / category coverage with low price set at the 1st time upload.

1 post
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
thetrogers says

Im only a buyer, not a developer.. I’ve bought 30 themes exactly from here for various project and to help friends start their blogs.. the 45/50 price point has kept me personally from buying as frequently.

566 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AlexFjord says

Any buyer (this is not aimed at anyone in particular) who is deterred or feel hard done by for having to pay up to $50 for a complete Wordpress theme is crazy – do they not realize how much competitor sites costs let alone a bespoke theme!

Obviously would like the authors to be in an optimum position to make money that they deserve but still think it is very valuable to note the incredible work you get here for next to nothing.

94 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
webTypo says

Any buyer (this is not aimed at anyone in particular) who is deterred or feel hard done by for having to pay up to $50 for a complete Wordpress theme is crazy – do they not realize how much competitor sites costs let alone a bespoke theme!

Obviously would like the authors to be in an optimum position to make money that they deserve but still think it is very valuable to note the incredible work you get here for next to nothing.

+ 1million

28 posts ozythemes.com
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
freevision says

A lot of new themes every day and every day my eyes hurt even more. Some of them are horrible, i have no idea how they got accepted.

And some of them don’t even work properly. Where are the standards? As long as you ask more for something, shouldn’t it be better? What are you thinking?

This will bring a downfall of the marketplace in my mind.

Now let’s have a look at the wordpress category on the first page. That is so funny. There are more and more themes that come out and the biggest numbers of sells i see on the first page is 29. I do not judge all the themes. They are some themes that are good. But most of them are really, really, really, really bad. Why not give an opportunity for new released themes to have more frontpage time? What is the point?

Want to turn into template monster? With 1-2 sales per theme? Who will even bother to make themes if that is the case? I tell you who – someone who does not spend more than 1 week for it and hopes for miracles. They try it a couple of times and than give up, and than another one comes with no experience at all, as the one before him and does the same thing, and you will end up with a market full of low end themes that should not even call themselves premium themes.

DO SOMETHING !!!! INCREASE STANDARDS !!!

And yes, lovely stuff, every time we have a new theme, it gets rejected for some reason ( do not blame the reviewer, they may have a point ) but excuse me, how can you let “responsive” themes that do not work properly and break layouts? HOW ?

I do not know how to tell you everything i feel. I will just use one word: sad.

I wouldn’t agree more with you dear Duotive. sadly the market quality going down… the question is if envato hearing us?

68 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
vazz says

IMO the discussion about the quality of this marketplace should be in a private forum, visible to authors only. It doesn’t advantage anyone, not Envato, nore you.

548 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Bebel says

any news on price adjustment tools for authors? I know that it didn’t work out for elite authors in the past but is there anything new in this direction planned by envato?

122 posts
  • Exclusive Author
BrianHermelijn says

Any kind of information on whether or not there will be a new search system for themeforest?

3 posts Marketplace Data Analyst
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
fsveta Staff says

Hey everyone! My name is Sveta and I work in number crunching and trend analysis. I started at Envato 12 weeks ago and am working to build up a team to support the Marketplace, Tuts and Admin teams with all their data.

I understand that many of you are interested in the data surrounding the recent pricing changes. Vahid has asked me to review the WP category price change (that occurred on 4th of June) and give you some details about it. The WP pricing adjustment took place before I started working at Envato (before that I spent some time learning how to play poker :)) so it has taken a little while to collect the data and check the details.

From the data I’ve seen, two months before the pricing changes were made, the sales revenue was slightly decreased but also steady. However, after the new pricing was introduced, the sales revenue has been increasing solidly.

I also noticed that a month prior to the change, the number of unit sales had slightly decreased. For a few months after the change the unit sales were still decreasing. However, in the last few months there has been a rise in unit sales. All of this data shows us that the WP price adjustments have had a positive effect on the unit sales and sales revenue of this category.

Hope this information helps you and I’m glad to meet you all. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by