10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
ayman01 says

Im not a developer or anything, but I just wanted to say something. First, if it is a good theme, then $45 or $50 is not expensive IMO .

BUT , first you have to find that “good” theme.

Most themes on themeforest look the same. I mean, REALLY LOOK THE SAME !!

Especially the new ones coming out. It’s as if I have seen that same theme several times already, but under a different name.

I mean, don’t you developers see the similarities? Why do you (not all but most of you) continue to make the same boring themes?

Are you that lazy (or unmotivated) to come up with something fresh and new?

If the standards dont go up, then the price never should have went up.

Why don’t you developers use your imagination and creativity a bit, rather than copy someone elses theme, or copy the same theme you just made 3 months ago, but give it a slightly different color and maybe change the main menu a bit.

I have trouble finding unique themes here on themeforest. And if a theme does come out that I like it’s more geared towards photographers.

Why the hell are there so many portfolio and photography themes?

Are there that many photographers in the world? Over 80% of themeforests themes are for photographers or people with image portfolios.

Most people buying themes here are buying them to build client websites (usually offline clients). We need more themes that are more geared towards the local business (section for phone number above the fold, section to put third party verifiers above the main menu, etc.)

I think that unless more creative themes start coming out, less people will come here to purchase themes. Especially at the inflated pricing.

Just my 2 cents.

68 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
vazz says
Are you that lazy…
Oh, I bet authors are tired working and they hardly get to sleep a few hours. I know it is your opinion and I respect it, but why offending? After all, they’re not anyone’s employees here and people are not forced to purchase.
3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

Look at our portfolio. Everything different. :) So there are exceptions.

587 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
AlexFjord says

As we do not sell our work on here we are not in a position to comment about sales figures however:

Firstly, while new/unique/creative work is always nice to see… Those complaining about boring items could consider that even an average designer/developer should be able to take one of the themes and use/adapt the elements to look great and importantly to suit their clients needs – surely no client is going to want (or should be given) EXACTLY what the demo looks like with change dimages and copy?

Finally while sales may have slowed, those who think that people will stop coming to the marketplace are deluded. Envato know their market and get it right. There are clearly a lot of “Web designers” and “Web developers” (we use that phrase VERY lightly in some cases) that rely fully on templates. Either their own work is not good enough or they are simply unable to write their own code. So for them to continue especially when they are producing work for clients who are not prepared to pay a realistic price for a professional custom built design (even if some people will sell them templates as a custom job no doubt!) markets like TF will always exist.

$50 is nothing for a fully functional WP theme of any standard let alone what you get in most on here. The standard of files here is generally higher than most competitors and it would be a real shame to see the community dissolve in anyway and for the genuinely talented authors to loose faith.

10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in United States
ayman01 says

Are you that lazy…
Oh, I bet authors are tired working and they hardly get to sleep a few hours. I know it is your opinion and I respect it, but why offending? After all, they’re not anyone’s employees here and people are not forced to purchase.
You’re right. My apologies.

I didn’t mean to come off as an asshole, but for $50, give me something to appreciate.

I can’t appreciate something I can get from someone else.

Every developer here needs to establish their value proposition when offering themes. In other words, what is it about your theme that I should buy from you rather than any of your competitors.

If you can clearly answer that question, then I would be more than happy to offer you $50 or even $60 for a creative theme (one that took a little more thought and preparation and was innovate in some way).

I’m not saying every theme should be stellar to the point of genius, but just that there should be a little more creativity in many of the themes I see here.

For the most part (with the exception of a few who do consistently offer value propositions) most of the themes here look like rehashed themes. Nothing special.

Somehow they get past the moderators but I dont know how.

You’re right, Im not forced to buy anything, but for this to be one of the better known and more respected theme websites, I just expected a bit more.

Thanks.

587 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
AlexFjord says

With the greatest respect (this is not meant in any unpleasant way), while i agree that the best authors do have a “value proposition”, and that unique or creative work is always welcome, we have to remember the “proposition” of this marketplace.

Themes are designed to be edited and manipulated to bespoke purposes. A custom theme would cost into the thousands so for $50 that is definitely great value.

As for TF being a “better known” and “respected” site – it already is one of if not the biggest and take a look around at the competition and look at the prices, the non existent or poor service and the standard of code, features and number of available files (again many of which are similar).

Once again I think you have valid points that authors just like any other business need to have a USP to stand out but at the same time I think that we need to appreciate what is on offer here and the skills involved in producing those.

I think this is drifting from the topic a little so need to stay on track. Last comment – in design/development you really do get what you pay for. Pay 5-10K expect a custom ideal design that is unique and creative to your wishes. Pay $50 be very grateful to have a fully functioning theme (again not meant unpleasantly).

171 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
ait says

Im not a developer or anything, but I just wanted to say something. First, if it is a good theme, then $45 or $50 is not expensive IMO .

Especially the new ones coming out. It’s as if I have seen that same theme several times already, but under a different name.

I mean, don’t you developers see the similarities? Why do you (not all but most of you) continue to make the same boring themes?

Why don’t you developers use your imagination and creativity a bit, rather than copy someone elses theme, or copy the same theme you just made 3 months ago, but give it a slightly different color and maybe change the main menu a bit.

I have trouble finding unique themes here on themeforest. And if a theme does come out that I like it’s more geared towards photographers.

Are there that many photographers in the world? Over 80% of themeforests themes are for photographers or people with image portfolios.

Most people buying themes here are buying them to build client websites (usually offline clients). We need more themes that are more geared towards the local business (section for phone number above the fold, section to put third party verifiers above the main menu, etc.)

I think that unless more creative themes start coming out, less people will come here to purchase themes. Especially at the inflated pricing.

Just my 2 cents.

I mostly agree with what you’re saying above. Many themes here look the same. Same colors, same boxes, same slider. We’re discussing that issue internally every week while working on new themes.

It’s hard to guess which theme will sell the most and therefore building themes for sale here is quite a gamble. You can spend weeks or months on creating very unique theme with nice features, and you’ll sell 100. You’ll then put together theme in week and sell 1000 :)

We’re doing a small research for internal purposes every time we release a theme and can clearly see that if we release a unique theme, it won’t sell as much as “yet another similar looking wp theme” released the same day.

46 posts ozythemes.com
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
freevision says

Just my 2 cents.

I mostly agree with what you’re saying above. Many themes here look the same. Same colors, same boxes, same slider. We’re discussing that issue internally every week while working on new themes.

It’s hard to guess which theme will sell the most and therefore building themes for sale here is quite a gamble. You can spend weeks or months on creating very unique theme with nice features, and you’ll sell 100. You’ll then put together theme in week and sell 1000 :)

We’re doing a small research for internal purposes every time we release a theme and can clearly see that if we release a unique theme, it won’t sell as much as “yet another similar looking wp theme” released the same day.

I think buyers got use to see similar stuff. we spent last 3 months to develop our newest theme to create something fresh with tons of features. still sales aren’t as I expected. maybe it s early to make a conclusion. somehow buyers are prefer to buy from top sellers at first step. this is one my theory.

495 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

Just my 2 cents.
+1
59 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Little-Neko says

Are buyers that lazy that they always buy the same kind of themes? :))

I see a lot of very unique theme here that have poor sales (i m not talking about the portfolio section, wich is kind of special niche). Britney Spears sells much more than Joanna Newsom unfortunatly, that s life :) (i’m not comparing top sellers to Britney, but you see what i mean)

I think also that if a theme is too unique, it will be less easy to customize for clients. A “standard” theme will fit easier for any kind of business. That’s a hard balance, unique enough to be accepted, not too unique to have good sales.

Most authors here are working hard on their theme, so they expect some success. You have to sell a lot to cover production costs at this price. And when you look at top sales (most of them are very well made themes for sure), well, you know the trend you should follow… Dont blame the authors, that s the market law. Quite new here, that s what i learned so far…

Btw, i’d be happy to hear more detailed thought about what kind of theme/functionnalities you’d like to have as a buyer. Actually, a “buyers forum”, with feedback about what pple need would be very helpfull for authors, and add more diversity to the themes, i guess.

by
by
by
by
by
by