• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

That strange, I was sure someone will get into this discussion.

88 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
DesignPuma says

I think that everybody could expect that Themeforest will attract more authors after some time. Price increase just probably only speeded up that process a little bit nothing else.

I think that the current list on the homepage and recent/popular themes is not enough with an increasing number of themes. The issue as I see it is that customers cannot properly search and filter out themes. They give up and select most selling one and that’s all. If there was a quick filter based on color, slider type, features or whatever else, they could limit their selection faster and themes will initially less sales would pop up.

Envato is not only increasing number of authors, they’re also increasing number of new customers if you watch it closely. The best solution here would be to find a way how to make these customers buying variety of themes not only the most selling ones that are on Popular Files list. That way each theme will sell in average few hundred times instead one rocketselling and another one just crawling and trying to survive. That way an income from sales would be more consistent and you can relay on it. Otherwise it’s a big gamble and most full time authors would have to move to part time again.

+1

94 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
webTypo says

A lot of new themes every day and every day my eyes hurt even more. Some of them are horrible, i have no idea how they got accepted.

And some of them don’t even work properly. Where are the standards? As long as you ask more for something, shouldn’t it be better? What are you thinking?

This will bring a downfall of the marketplace in my mind.

Now let’s have a look at the wordpress category on the first page. That is so funny. There are more and more themes that come out and the biggest numbers of sells i see on the first page is 29. I do not judge all the themes. They are some themes that are good. But most of them are really, really, really, really bad. Why not give an opportunity for new released themes to have more frontpage time? What is the point?

Want to turn into template monster? With 1-2 sales per theme? Who will even bother to make themes if that is the case? I tell you who – someone who does not spend more than 1 week for it and hopes for miracles. They try it a couple of times and than give up, and than another one comes with no experience at all, as the one before him and does the same thing, and you will end up with a market full of low end themes that should not even call themselves premium themes.

DO SOMETHING !!!! INCREASE STANDARDS !!!

And yes, lovely stuff, every time we have a new theme, it gets rejected for some reason ( do not blame the reviewer, they may have a point ) but excuse me, how can you let “responsive” themes that do not work properly and break layouts? HOW ?

I do not know how to tell you everything i feel. I will just use one word: sad.

I have flagged this for staff reply

93 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
aligatorstudio says

I think that everybody could expect that Themeforest will attract more authors after some time. Price increase just probably only speeded up that process a little bit nothing else.

I think that the current list on the homepage and recent/popular themes is not enough with an increasing number of themes. The issue as I see it is that customers cannot properly search and filter out themes. They give up and select most selling one and that’s all. If there was a quick filter based on color, slider type, features or whatever else, they could limit their selection faster and themes will initially less sales would pop up.

Envato is not only increasing number of authors, they’re also increasing number of new customers if you watch it closely. The best solution here would be to find a way how to make these customers buying variety of themes not only the most selling ones that are on Popular Files list. That way each theme will sell in average few hundred times instead one rocketselling and another one just crawling and trying to survive. That way an income from sales would be more consistent and you can relay on it. Otherwise it’s a big gamble and most full time authors would have to move to part time again.
+1
me too +1
3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
duotive says

@webTypo – flagged it for what?

@ait – +1 good idea

662 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
Dream-Theme says

I have something to say. And I’ll try be as objective as possible.

One of our themes was featured. Now it’s off the homepage. Guys, I can assure you that homepage gives you MASSIVE sales increase.

With this much new items no one receives enough exposure except featured lucky-ones.

IMO ThemeForest became what most software marketplaces are. It is not high-profit highly curated marketplace club anymore.

Create/clone “yet another theme” > have some exposure > have some sales. Create something decent – you’ll have not-that-bad sales.

But it is not profitable to create uber-products as it was earlier. In fact there are 2 options: 1) invest in marketing; 2) create dozens of clones of your uber-framework.

Is it bad? – IMO NO . It’s just different business model. It’s like Apples AppStore. And it’s not enough anymore to “create a product”.

Personally I do not like it. I like to work on niche or uber-products.

But I understand that it is perfect for Envato. Don’t forget that new authors are getting only 50% commissions. ThemeForest is almost a monopoly now. Who will submit a theme to competitor, if you can submit it to ThemeForest? No one. I expect to see massive decrease of competitive marketplaces sales.

At this moment my only concern “will it hurt the marketplace reputation”. But I believe Collis and other guys knows where they are leading Envato. At least I hope for that.

BTW , some “inside” from Envato administration would be nice :D

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+3 more
pixelentity says

Honestly, i don’t think themeforest can be kept clean anymore by only relying on reviewers / quality bar raises. Not with the increasing amount of items submitted each day.

Reviewers do an amazing job but this cannot prevent a lot of stuff from being approved to only sell little to nothing. Early exposure is crucial and we need better automated ways to manage it.

BF

1429 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

Honestly, i don’t think themeforest can be kept clean anymore by only relying on reviewers / quality bar raises. Not with the increasing amount of items submitted each day.

Reviewers do an amazing job but this cannot prevent a lot of stuff from being approved to only sell little to nothing. Early exposure is crucial and we need better automated ways to manage it.

BF
Not sure why, I love your comment there. I can’t agree or disagree because there are pros and cons and it is hard to explain it here especially when everyone has their own point of view, experiences, vision etc.

PS: this comment is from kailoon, not from the reviewer.

94 posts
  • Exclusive Author
webTypo says

@webTypo – flagged it for what? @ait – +1 good idea

I’d like to hear what Envato thinks about this, I think everybody here in this thread does, but I was a little impatient, when I saw this thread I thought a staff reply will come really fast.

I am also afraid that some top authors will leave for other alternative marketplaces if this is not changing. Your templatemonster example is very scary but unfortunately this can happen here too.

I don’t know much about the WordPress category until now I only bought templates from the PSD category but I see the exact same trends going on. I feel that it’s starting to turn into “quantity over quality” approach, of course I understand that more and more authors are signing up each day but that does not mean the quality standards should be lower.

I also understand that design is subjective but It’s strange that there are a FEW recently released design that look like they were made years ago. It’s like ThemeForest design trends are completely different from what is going on outside on the web in terms of design trends.

Why could be that, no idea, only one guess. Some of the authors are trying to be as close as they can to top selling items, and that creates a loop from where they don’t want to break out so as long as buyers are don’t care that they buy the same looking stuff most of the time, this stays the same.

There are a few exceptions of course. But those are financially a failure most of the time.

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+3 more
pixelentity says

One of our themes was featured. Now it’s off the homepage. Guys, I can assure you that homepage gives you MASSIVE sales increase.
A featured item now gets 1 month of home exposure which is an insane amount compared to 1-2 days of newly approved items. Why not having 1 feat per day instead, with seven spots each item would be granted 1 week

BF

by
by
by
by
by
by