491 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
rayoflightt says

Saturation is common process and that always happens to this kind of markets. We’ll get to one point when nobody gets enough of profit and at that point I think some authors will just give up and stop uploading new items. Then market will eventually stabilize but profits like it was before will hardly be achieved again. I don’t thing Envato will be bothered too much with this, at least in short term, because overall profit is the same, maybe even bigger.

In my opinion there is one thing that could be done to ease this situation – attracting more buyers to this site and make them actively involved in process of making items. There could be something like survey for buyers “what kind of items do buyers need”. There could be questions for example: do you need slider in themes, what kind of slider, how many columns in theme, optimization for what browser, for what mobile screen etc. If great percent of potential buyers answers these questions, maybe authors would have clearer picture what customers want and start making something different. This along with new buyers would eventually lead to increasing in overall sales and also in authors profit shares.

I agree that exposure of new items should be improved. There is already lot of good feedback how to do that.

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

Nice idea with the customer demand pools.

5407 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

One issue with customer demand pools is that it can lead to authors chasing their own tails. For example, customers say they want something so every author out there madly tries to fill that demand. The Marketplace is then flooded with a particular type of theme. A week later it’s a different demand and the circle starts again :)

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

(...) The Marketplace is then flooded with a particular type of theme. A week later later it’s a different demand and the circle starts again :)

Well, now is flooded with no particular type of theme. :P

5351 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

One of our themes was featured. Now it’s off the homepage. Guys, I can assure you that homepage gives you MASSIVE sales increase.
A featured item now gets 1 month of home exposure which is an insane amount compared to 1-2 days of newly approved items. Why not having 1 feat per day instead, with seven spots each item would be granted 1 week BF

I’ve always hated the positioning of the featured items. It’s the #1 real estate spot on the homepage and often includes average selling items. I’d replace the whole thing with top selling new items. For example, you pool together all the items that were released for the week, and the item with the most sales gets the “featured item” spot.

169 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
ait says

I’d replace the whole thing with top selling new items. For example, you pool together all the items that were released for the week, and the item with the most sales gets the “featured item” spot.

Not sure if top selling items need more exposure. That’s what happening currently and making one item selling thousands and others just few tens. Top items on Popular Files list are being fed to many different blog sites and magazines and that’s making them selling over and over again for months.

If there was a list of random items on the homepage from last 30 days or so, wouldn’t that help spreading sales evenly?

It would be also interesting to know if it’s really a homepage that sell items. Isn’t it a feed of new items and feed of featured items? Many sites and blogs import new items on daily basis.

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
wptitans says

One of our themes was featured. Now it’s off the homepage. Guys, I can assure you that homepage gives you MASSIVE sales increase.
A featured item now gets 1 month of home exposure which is an insane amount compared to 1-2 days of newly approved items. Why not having 1 feat per day instead, with seven spots each item would be granted 1 week BF
I’ve always hated the positioning of the featured items. It’s the #1 real estate spot on the homepage and often includes average selling items. I’d replace the whole thing with top selling new items. For example, you pool together all the items that were released for the week, and the item with the most sales gets the “featured item” spot.

No, they should indeed remove that featured of the week section and add a massive big search section. A search section which works and is smart on it’s own.

You don’t have to be on the homepage when the search function is top of the notch and well visible, not a small one in the top right corner or when you arrive inside the category page. A search function inside a stock site is essential and the most important part of the site.

So when they add a good and descent search function and put this in the frontpage where the featured items are placed then it would be a great improvement.

Then they can move the featured items to the bottom of the site and everybody is happy.

+9 more
CodingJack says

Not sure if top selling items need more exposure. That’s what happening currently and making one item selling thousands and others just few tens. Top items on Popular Files list are being fed to many different blog sites and magazines and that’s making them selling over and over again for months.

But the big difference with my idea is that these items would be only the top selling file from all the new items for the week.

And if the idea of the “featured files” section is to show the latest and greatest, this keeps that same idea. The only difference being that instead of the items being chosen by a single person, they are effectively chosen by the buyers. And from a shopper’s perspective this makes a lot more sense.

+9 more
CodingJack says

No, they should indeed remove that featured of the week section and add a massive big search section. A search section which works and is smart on it’s own.

Even better solution. A big search box would be a much better use of that prime real estate. Then just merge the featured files with the featured author section at the bottom.

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

You don’t have to be on the homepage when the search function is top of the notch and well visible, not a small one in the top right corner or when you arrive inside the category page. A search function inside a stock site is essential and the most important part of the site.

So when they add a good and descent search function and put this in the frontpage where the featured items are placed then it would be a great improvement.

Then they can move the featured items to the bottom of the site and everybody is happy.

You are absolutely right – the home page should be one big smart search. As it is now the only use from home page there is for me is the section with items from authors that I’m following. Other than that the home page is useless with number of items approved daily. Home page should put a pressure on product discovery – a search box with number of filters so that people could find what they are really looking for instead of being fed the same old top selling items all the time.

by
by
by
by
by
by